The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Canada Switching To Polymer Bills (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Looks like Canada's paper money, $50's and $100's at least, will not be around much longer. Can any Australian or South American Café members comment on how difficult these new bills are to work with? On the upside, maybe there will be new effects possible since part of the new bills are see-through. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_hw8ze5qo
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am excited to see what things can be done with these new bills when they come out. I am not a Canadian citizen but I live 15 minutes outside of Windsor in the U.S. and I have a lot of fun playing with Canadian currency. I am sure there will be plenty of applications possible, but knowing how easy they will be to handle or work with can only come with time.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Yep these are looking just like Ozzie notes, clear window and all.
The only effect using the see-through bit I could come up with is wrapping a card in the note, then using it to visibly change a card. Like the card index being seen through the plastic window,then flicking it and the index changes?
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Though it might still be on the messy side (I enjoy performing it often myself) but these bills should stand up better to a Bill in Lemon effect. All the better that they are larger bills because the audience is always on edge when you borrow anything of theirs, and ever more so when it is a bill of large denomination...

The clear section of the bill could be used for lots of change-effects. I like the idea for the pip change as mentioned by hackmonkey. At least in my head, the clear section of the bill could be played on with an Alice in Wonderland "Through the Looking Glass" mentality - a world where strange things happen all the time. Even if the window is only translucent, it would still work!
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I'm wondering how difficult these new bills will be to fold. Could you even fold it tight enough to do the $100 bill switch or bill in lemon? Extreme Burn, Greed, Mislead; these are other ones I'm worried about.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am betting the folding part will not be so bad, but getting a good crease and making them stay may be an issue. Good point Scott!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 11:26, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
I am betting the folding part will not be so bad, but getting a good crease and making them stay may be an issue. Good point Scott!

That's what they make steam irons for!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 13:35, Mike Maturen wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 11:26, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:

That's what they make steam irons for!

That would be true for a pre-set. But for impromptu/borrowed bill effects, I think that may be a challenge?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They are certainly beautiful bills. I wonder if instead of burning, do they just melt.

Maybe someone will come up with a black art principle effect using the windows. Sort of like the Chinatown quarter or half dollar coins.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
With the transition to plastic money in Canada well underway, does anyone have any insights on which effects will be unworkable now? I haven't had time to experiment yet myself, but some of my favorite paper money effects like Extreme Burn and the Juan Pablo bill switch look like they won't be viable with the new bills. Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
liampower
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of liampower
First of all I'm stoked with all your creative magicians maybe they can come up with new effects, methods with plastic money. They don't stay folded very well although if you want to do some pre folding leave them between some heavy books overnight and it works pretty well. They don't burn, they melt shrivel up like a chip packet if you put it in the oven. Most billswitches are possible, extreme burn is harder but doable but I haven't been able to do the Juan Pablo bill switch. They hold up pretty well if you want to stick them in a lemon though.

oh and don't do what Mike Maturen says the'll melt
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A steam iron on a plastic bill sounds like you will wind up with a charred shrunken, or worse yet liquid bill to me. With those windows you can't do Hundy 500 either.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Without seeing where the window is, you could do Hundy's etc. by having bills alternating. ???
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pete
The bills have holes on both sides.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 09:12, scott0819 wrote:
I'm wondering how difficult these new bills will be to fold. Could you even fold it tight enough to do the $100 bill switch or bill in lemon? Extreme Burn, Greed, Mislead; these are other ones I'm worried about.

They are harder to keep folded, but it is possible and you can certainly perform a bill swithch or bill to lemon. I perform both these effects regularly.
It is really about using the benefits of the new type of bill. For example, many magicians produce a bill from flash paper and with paper currency it appears as a rolled up piece of paper. With a polymer bill it is harder to p**m out, but when it is produced the "memory" of the polymer makes the bill un-fold in your hand, which has a quite eerie and magical appearance.
Don't stress too badly about the clear window either. You will find ways to perform around that and , as some have already said, it can lead to other effects that you couldn't do without it.
EliotGilbert
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of EliotGilbert
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:13, CasualSoul wrote:
With the transition to plastic money in Canada well underway, does anyone have any insights on which effects will be unworkable now? I haven't had time to experiment yet myself, but some of my favorite paper money effects like Extreme Burn and the Juan Pablo bill switch look like they won't be viable with the new bills. Smile

I think Extreme Burn (or any effect where bills are not borrowed) will still be able to be performed no matter what. The way I see it, worst comes to worse, the new polymer bills are unusable for that type of effect, but you can always use paper bills and justify it. For example, you could say something like "Do you know the real reason why Canadian bills are polymer now? Truth is, the paper ones were way too easy to counterfeit" and then proceed to do Extreme Burn.

In regards to the effects where you borrow a bill, I can't really say one way or the other, but I am hoping all goes well!
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:13, CasualSoul wrote:

Most bill tricks work fine with polymer notes.

Bill Switches
Self Folding Bill When not in use I keep in a card press to keep the creases.
Cut/Restored note
Penetration Effects

I haven't been able to use these notes for Extreme Burn. They work fine for Slow Burn.
If they come into contact with fire, obviously they melt very quickly.
They don't rip,they have to be cut.

Chappelly
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Just to let everyone know, you cannot perform Extreme Burn with these notes. However, watch this forum for some news soon. All this talk has got me working on a version that will work for Polymer bills. It will not be able to be done as a change from banknote to banknote, but will be a startling change anyway. I am just waiting for my printer to get back to me on time and price and I will let everyone know the effect.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Anyone can point me to any routines available on the web for these bills? thanks!

Bond
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 00:45, Daz Buckley wrote:
Just to let everyone know, you cannot perform Extreme Burn with these notes. However, watch this forum for some news soon. All this talk has got me working on a version that will work for Polymer bills. It will not be able to be done as a change from banknote to banknote, but will be a startling change anyway. I am just waiting for my printer to get back to me on time and price and I will let everyone know the effect.

Any news on this Daz?