The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Burned/restored bill to impossible location-simple or complicated (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
I've been playing around with this trick for a while now. After having looked into the expensive versions like "The Lemon Game" and having read a lot on the versions that use nothing more than a simple shuttle pass with a flashbill or a thumbtip, I've come to the personal decision that the expensive versions are not really necessary for a great routine.

I'm currently playing with a simple shuttle pass with flash paper into a wine glass. I've found that, even with the cheesy looking flash bills, once dropped into a wine glass, they easily pass for a real bill that has been folded into the standard bill switch configuration. Anyone who is sitting more that 6 ft away can see the bill cleanly fall into the glass and for closeup, a beveled wine glass seems to suffice. If the pass is done well, there is really no reason for the spectators not to believe that the real bill is in the glass. Look at this way, if you believe that you are fooling people with a shuttle pass with coins, as we all do, this is really no different.

So, you've now done a shuttle pass, the audience really believes that the original bill is in the glass and you can now do a million things with that real bill. I'm playing with loading into a himber wallet. One minute, the wallet is empty and the next, their bill, which just went up in flames, is now in the wallet. I think this would work in both parlor or closeup settings. Maybe even on stage.

I've also noticed that with some of the expensive versions, the performer seems to be doing a lot of fumbling in his case while loading the bill. While these expensive versions are good tricks and the end result always goes over well with audiences...I just don't see the point of spending 300-400 dollars for a bill to impossible location effect when a very good one can be done with a simple sleight and some creative thinking.

By the way, I was at Magicopolis a few weeks ago and Steve Spill used my 20.00 for his bill routine. During the intermission I went to the restroom to wipe off the bill and the guy who was sitting next to us asked me if the bill I got back really was my bill. This after having seen me sign it. Total cost for Spill's version...probably a couple of bucks.

How many of you use the expensive versions and how many use the simple methods? How many tried the expensive versions and then switched back to the simple methods?

Just interested...
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I use the Spill method. It's the cheapest and most direct.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I use Joshua Jay's method. Smile one set-up and it sets you up for a lifetime. Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Out of curiosity.. What Joshua Jay effect do you speak of? I don't recall ever seeing a Joshua Jay Burnt Bill routine.
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
I think GeorgeSantos is speaking of Cornered.
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2008-04-19 10:00, twistedace wrote:
I use the Spill method. It's the cheapest and most direct.

Where does one learn the Spill Method?

Also, where do you learn the Joshua Jay method?

Thanks.

-Paul
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Check out Dan Garrets Plastic Cash Improved at Magic Methods Online.
I can't believe I gave that info up !
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have always persented Terry Seabrooke's Burned Bill in Envelope in Wallet. It is not any better then that.

I have also done Borrowed Bill (Flash Bill) to Purse Frame for Close-Up, it is Apocalypse, although I created it independly from the publication.

Bill to Key Case or Key-Ruption by Bob Solari is simple and direct as well. Can be done table hopping and you are always ready.

All these routine get excellent spectator reaction.

My thoughts on the expensive versions is, if you have the money for the large prop effects and want to lug/carry them around, then they will serve you well.

In the end it is not the props, but the performer.