The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Daniel Garcia's "Greed" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
CTG
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of CTG
I have a question for anyone who knows the effect, perhaps Daniel himself (I know the DVD is only on pre-order). Can the money used in the gimmick be spent if need be? I can't afford to use $85 that will be locked into the gimmick permanently (I'm in Canada so I would have to use 5, 10, 20 and 50 dollar bills) as I'm just a hobbyist magician and don't perform for money.

Thanks
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Penguin Magic just post a demo of it and a small description.
Actually I'm trying to reach my "brother" Daniel for other things and get more details about his new DVD, but seem that he is busy because can not reach him.
Nice bill switch shows the demo.
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
If you get any info let us know more about it
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Seems from the demo that a $50 wouldn't be necessary. Your investment would be much less. Maybe $35.50?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The original manuscript calls for $37 (two 1s, one 5, one 10 and one 20). You can probably even get away with exchanging the torn 20 for a new one at the bank (you really only need a corner of it) so in the end you'll only be out about $17, and you'd likely have to pay more than that for a marketed version. Be sure to make some practice models out of "funny" money to begin with, because the cuts and folds are easy to mess up your first few tries. Made well and routined properly this is a pretty striking effect.
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
To tell you guys the truth I think you only have to waste 7 dollars not 17
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Yeah, that's what the manuscript suggests, but I find it hard to believe that the bank would take the 10 back with so much of it missing. At least my bank... Best of luck to you, though.
tunafish
View Profile
Regular user
Everett, Wa
137 Posts

Profile of tunafish
This effect looks wonderful, but it looks like you have to keep the spectators 1 dollar bill, which some people might not like.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
I really like the visual aspect of it! I mean he even lowered the price by $10 for pre-orders!

Tanner
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 00:31, tunafish wrote:
This effect looks wonderful, but it looks like you have to keep the spectators 1 dollar bill, which some people might not like.

Not necessarily. Among other great ideas, you should research Mike Koslowski's "Hundred Dollar Bill Switch." Just one of many terrific examples.
CTG
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of CTG
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 22:35, Magiguy wrote:
The original manuscript calls for $37 (two 1s, one 5, one 10 and one 20). You can probably even get away with exchanging the torn 20 for a new one at the bank (you really only need a corner of it) so in the end you'll only be out about $17, and you'd likely have to pay more than that for a marketed version. Be sure to make some practice models out of "funny" money to begin with, because the cuts and folds are easy to mess up your first few tries. Made well and routined properly this is a pretty striking effect.

I realize this, but there are no $1 bills in Canada anymore, so my lowest denomination would have to be $5. This would make me have to use $10, $20 and $50 dollar bills, so you can see my concern. Thanks for the tip though.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 00:31, tunafish wrote:

That might be useful. You could give him the fifty cent piece, then go to your pocket for two more quarters.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am more than a bit annoyed by the penguin demo. I have the original downloadable manuscript and put the gimmick together. When performing this I can assure you people were not falling all over themselves and slapping high fives. Were these "spectators" second string L&L actors or what?
Anyway, the routine is decent looking but is by no means examinable and you are left dirty holding out.
After playing around with it I found I prefer the $100 bill switch more. It may not be as visible or have as many phases, but there is something to be set about letting the bill be examined and showing both hands "empty."
Just my take for what it is worth.

-Paul
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I think from what ive seen I thought it looked like a great routine.it says in the description that the money can be spent so it must be a removable, clean, and practicle gimmick.also you have to think to yourself would Mr.Garcia let penguin release a imperfect creation?
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 11:18, paso8396 wrote:
When performing this I can assure you people were not falling all over themselves and slapping high fives. We're these "spectators" second string L&L actors or what?
Anyway, the routine is decent looking but is by no means examinable and you are left dirty holding out.

-Paul

Your TOTALLY right man... I hired actors that I could perform for on the streets....COME ON!!!!! Are you serious? I don't know what to tell you... you don't like the effect then .. ok. We shot about 6 demo's of Greed that night...and YES those were the REAL reactions... Please STOP accusing ME and Penguin of "spicing" up video.

...and as far as "Ending Clean"... YOU don't HAVE TO. If you have ever seen my lecture, I go into depth about how magicians are SO worried about little things that the spectator will NEVER notice... with the right audience managment.
The ending of this routine is MADE so that YOU don't HAVE to end clean... your missing the whole thinking behind the development and construction of this effect.

If your not getting good reactions...dont blame me or penguin...or the effect... try figuring out why?

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
Will Greed work with Canadian bills? The bills are the same size but different colours.
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
229 Posts

Profile of phase27
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 14:01, trombley wrote:
Will Greed work with Canadian bills? The bills are the same size but different colours.

This is from penguins ad.

Please note: GREED works with bills of many different currencies (Danny used to do it with Monopoly Money when he was a kid).

The key is that the bills you choose to use all have to be the same dimensions.

The color of the bills is less important. You CAN ABSOLUTELY use several different colored bills. The only difference is that with multiple colors in play you'll need to adjust your finger position slightly during the third phase.
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
Thanks. I'm sold. I always get asked to repeat the hundred dollar bill switch and with the repeats in this one I'm sure it will statisfy.

Now lets see. borrow one dollar from one million people give back 25 cents make $750,000
excellent
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OUCH!!! LOL

Anyway I have the notes but am planning on getting the DVD as well.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I just preordered the DVD. I liked this when Danny showed it at his lecture, but he also premiered DGP that night, and I only had so much cash on me, so I never picked up the Greed notes. Looking forward to the DVD. I never feel like I know enough money magic.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek