The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Daniel Garcia's "Greed" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
The DVD is coming out in about a month. I'd wait for the DVD if I were you. If you just can't wait, then by all means, go for the manuscript and get the DVD when it comes out. I'm sure Danny would appreciate it.

The biggest difference that I've been able to see (and I own the manuscript) is the change from the bill to the coin. It's much more visual on the preview video than it's written in the manuscript.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yeah that is a good point. Plus I always love to watch magic.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Hey Guys... the BIGGEST difference in the DVD...is all the FINE POINTS that I go over in performing GREED....I cover everything from how to make a good bill...to how to switch a bill.... to why I perform this with my own money...and the psycology that makes it work. PLUS you get to see a me make a full bill along with you...so that you don't get confused. I have always been a visual learner...and I figured those who have bought the manuscript would appriaciate being able get "walked through" the routine.

Daniel Garcia
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-04-24 13:18, dg magic wrote:
.... to why I perform this with my own money...and the psycology that makes it work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add the word SOMETIMES ... why I SOMETIMES perform this with my own money

DG
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
DG,
I have the manuscript but it sounds like the dvd would be a good suppliment in addition to the text. I noticed you do the 10 to 20 change with a similar cover move like those used in spellbound instead of the shaking action. I think saving the shaking for the coin productions is a big improvement. I like the fact that your routine is evolving and getting better all the time.

-Paul
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
229 Posts

Profile of phase27
I have the lecture notes of Greed but I will def. be picking up the dvd. This effect looks so amazing close up. It looks like real magic. Hey Danny will you be teaching different methods and going into more detail on the change from the 20 to a 50 cent piece? Keep up the awesome work man.
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Yess... there are different changes of the 50 cent peice...and a differnt handing of the effect all together.

DG
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Daniel,
The idea of having a manuscript we can read anywhere immediately, rather than having to load a DVD every time we need a refresher, is a great idea.
I wish more publishers would have both. Perhaps a DVD and a PDF manuscript of the basic instructions and handling that could be downloaded.
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
A good friend of mine performed this routine for me (and performed it WELL) a couple of months ago. It's hard to imagine the typical spectators reacting like those in the demo (other than, as previously mentioned, being encouraged to over-react or having a drink or two). I've seen Daniel Garcia's DVD's and respect his work. I just thought this demo was a bit much.

I firmly believe that Hundy 500 is a stronger routine. It not only looks cleaner, but it also allows the spectators to see the front and back of 5 bills (instead of corners and pieces of the changed bills).
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 16:36, Munseys_Magic wrote:
It's hard to imagine the typical spectators reacting like those in the demo (other than, as previously mentioned, being encouraged to over-react or having a drink or two). I've seen Daniel Garcia's DVD's and respect his work. I just thought this demo was a bit much.

First off... thanks your the compliment about respecting my work...i appriciate it. I TOTALLY understand that EVERYONE has there own oppinion...and that NOT everyone is going to like my effect... and BELIEVE ME... I am PERFECTLY FINE with that. But I assure you THESE ARE REAL REACTIONS... I didn't ENCOURAGE people to react big...and I DEFINATLY didn't encourage people to drink more. Having your own oppinion of the effect is fine... but I think judging the demo is a bit silly.

maybe I should call up Penguin and have them put up 3 demo's:

1. This Demo - for those who have performed for this type of crowd and understand that NOTHING was done to SPICE UP reactions.

2. Just the Hands (No Reactions) - For those who just want to figure out the effect so they can make it at home... heh Smile

3. Just reactions (no effect at all) - for those who don't even care about the effect just want to see people having a good time with a performer. Smile

HAHA... then everyone is happy Smile Smile Smile

ok...im done heheh

Daniel Garcia
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
The demo is clearly marketed towards penguin's demographic. (which is why its so painful)

But anyway, Daniel - I really like the routine! Its very visual and I think it would play to almost any audience, anywhere, without a table, and even without patter if need be. (that's about as commercial as it get brother!)

I think the comparison to Hundy is important, though. I do Hundy all the time and, in my opinion, its a lot cleaner. (all the bills, both sides, etc) BUT I do think that the ending for Greed is cool and the investment is certainly less. I'd be curious to see how others feel these effects compare.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Daniel,
Is your offer on Greed's performance clip for the Note buyers still on?

Thx,
Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
From what I've seen of Danny, his personality helps his reactions greatly, it makes you want to root for the magician. Considering the effect, the performance, and a little bit of booze, it's not surprising the reactions he got. That's just the way it is. Alcohol and a camera may have been a factor, but consider who's putting up the clip. A company trying very hard to improve their image in the magic community, and Daniel Garcia. Would they lie to you? No.

He may be putting things out with Ellusionist (why, oh why?), but he's not going to hire out spectators to sell an effect. Besides, something like Greed speaks for itself.

Anyway, did you ever get that E-bay thing fixed?
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 21:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Unfortunately, meaning is determined by the receiver of the message, not the sender.

The road to he*l... and all that.

Mr. Townsend brings up a very good point that can be applied to the demo.

If the demographic used in the demo isn't to your liking, does that still make an impact on whether you're going to invest in Daniel's product?

Apparently some are offended by the reaction of Daniel's audience. Why is that?

Even if the dealer & Daniel had hired these people to be 'over the top', which Daniel has assured us is NOT the case, would it still influence your purchasing decision? Could you be fooled by something so obvious?

I mean shouldn't the decision be based on whether you think the effect has a chance to be used successfully by you for YOUR type of audience/performances? Shouldn't it be based on whether you look favorably upon the performer?

By the way Mr. Townsend, your comment above reminded of a phrase I read long ago. It read, "If someone tries to give you a lame horse, but you don't accept it, who does the horse belong to?"

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I think the problem with the spectator's reactions in the demo is that they create an unrealistic expectation for the less experienced in our field. For those more experienced performers who know how people usually react to magic, they are, at worst, insulting and, at best, unnecessary.

Or, to put it another way, I'd like to purchase an effect based on the merrit of the routine in the performer's hands, not thirty seconds of the camera panning college kids flipping out.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 18:21, bsears wrote:

Or, to put it another way, I'd like to purchase an effect based on the merrit of the routine in the performer's hands, not thirty seconds of the camera panning college kids flipping out.

Touche...
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
I didn't think the reactions were weird at all. Maybe it's because some of you perform for different audiences like family members or people in church. I go to college and perform at parties all the times and occasionally I'd get people getting as excited as in the preview if not more. I have Hundy 500 (but do 1-> 20's) and I love it. But I'm also going to buy Greed. It just looks so visual and I think it's the last thing I need to complete my repretoire of paper money. I can see why people compare Greed to Hundy 500, but I really think that these two complement each other.

1. Hundy 500
2. Greed
3. Bill Switch 1->$20

I can't wait for it!
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Danny,

I pre-ordered this aswell! I can't wait for it to come out! I must say: EVERY ONE of your DVD's that came out were EXCELLENT! Very nice job!
And the GREED demo was the only demo that I actually played over and over and over, because the effect is just so great, and so thought out...

Keep up the great work,
-Vinnie

PS... Heres something that the GREED demo inspired me to do (LOL):
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 20:42, lylaster wrote:
I didn't think the reactions were weird at all. Maybe it's because some of you perform for different audiences like family members or people in church. I go to college and perform at parties all the times and occasionally I'd get people getting as excited as in the preview if not more. I have Hundy 500 (but do 1-> 20's) and I love it. But I'm also going to buy Greed. It just looks so visual and I think it's the last thing I need to complete my repretoire of paper money. I can see why people compare Greed to Hundy 500, but I really think that these two complement each other.

1. Hundy 500
2. Greed
3. Bill Switch 1->$20

I can't wait for it!

I agree completely. Most of you are probably just performing for a different type of audience because when I perform at a local resaurant, I get those type of reactions a lot. Especially with the teenage-college group. Of course if he performed it for an elder group they would not have reacted the same way. Everyone reacts different but why would he put on a demo of people just smiling at the effect. Its the same as David Blaine's shows. He doesn't put reactions of people who just say "oh...thats a cool trick." By putting up a video of people flipping out like that it shows the emotional reaction you CAN get. Most of you need to stop being haters on Daniel's magic because he is a very great magician.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Trust me, and DG and others when we say that reactions like that DO happen, especially with that kind of audience. they do not have to be drunk, or in front of a camera.

I have seen people act like this, or close to it in reaction to less. It is also a build up. They don't just freak out right away. It is also often part of that whole croud/mob mentailty.

They are also performing for each other.

Back when I was in high school (which feels like a few years ago rather then half a decade ago) I was just doing some magic with cards, nothing really eve all that special, and I developed a following, as many of us have had a tendency to do. (This was before the whole Blaine craze and all) Any who, I had the entire senior football team chase me down once trying to see me do magic.

I also had them freak out so much that they literally ran aay from me down the hall. The entire football team just took off screaming.

So as rediculous as it may seem sometimes, people do act like this.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I wonder what the audience reaction would be if the magician was very drunk and jumping up and down? Just joking, I couldn't resist this.

ACE