The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: $100 Bill switch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Go slow. Jim Lewis of inversion fame does a great bill switch and he does it slow. Going fast arouses suspicion. When that happens the magic is gone.

Dorian Rhodell
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Sloooowww. Gotcha. Smile I have always performed his (Kevin's) switch slowly. I don't believe the method _requires_ a fast switch, he just presented it that way.
Yakworld.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
One of the strongest ’illusions’ around.

I heard in the ’grapevine’ sometime back that one Ricky Jay was in the showers after appearing in a pro-am basketball (or some sort of sport) match and some clever clogs challenged him to change his $100... which Mr Jay did... into a $1 and then just sloped off without changing it back.

Should teach those clever clogs not to tick anyone else off...
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
A wonderful bill switch I have recently discovered allows for two bill changes rather than one and is NOT more difficult to perform.

Effect: You borrow a $20 bill and change it to a $50 dollar bill and then immediately change it to a $100 dollar bill and then immediately change it back to the $20 bill. If you’re interested the effect can be found in David Acer’s "Natural Selections" and in Richard Sander’s "Close-Up Assassin".
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I too have the Pocket Power video and book by Jarle Lierpoll and his bill switch without TT is very good.
I saw him at a Norewgian MC meeting and he did all the Pocket Power routines and they were great.

Nice guy and I still have the cards he sold me.

Regards The Pianoman
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Steve,

I agree with you that Klause's routine, printed in Ammar's Encore 3 is a great application of the bill switch. I have been thinking of other objects to use instead of the cig pack.

The coin purse is a good idea, but like the cig pack, it's not a natural item to be carrying around.

A couple of ideas I have are the breast pocket of your jacket and a cup and saucer (this being my favorite.)

Anyone have other ideas?

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
I have heard that Danny Archers bill switch which I think is called 1-100, uses just sleight of hand.
james
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
I do a bill switch; my own method. Once it is switched, I place it into the spectators hands and tell them to close their hands-- that I'm going to change the bill into four quarters. They open their hand, nothing happens. I say, "Well, we'll try it again." On the third try I say, "We'll open the bill and see, it worked!"

The bill in their mind never leaves their sight. I justify the folding initially by saying as I start to fold, "Remember the trick where you fold the bill and the head turns over?" They say yes. "Then I won't show you that trick," and I unfold the bill so that it is in the quarter position and hand them back the bill. I talk for a while then go into the effect.
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This post is simply to bring the thread to the top as a courtesy to Phonic69. I know it would be easier to simply say “use the search function”, but I knew exactly where to look to find the thread. No hassle in helping!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Thanks very much, I'll look into the books and references here! And thank you Mumblepeas!
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Does anybody know what version, Tom Ogden used on the WGM special?
family/magic/music/life
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I use Eugene's 21st Century Bill transpostion (I learned at his seminar, also available in his Magical Voyages video #1).

Regards,
Tony
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Every now and then while performing magic, somebody will say to me, "hey, can you make a million dollars appear?" with a greedy look in their eye.

Well, I came across a fake $1,000,000 bill that comes in stacks, sometimes found in party supply stores or toy stores.

I carry it just in case I ever get that line in typical heckling smart-aleck fashion. Now my answer is to actually make the $1,000,000 appear!

Oh, I use King's Money Morph.
And I follow his suggestion about where to practice.

:banana:
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
The Million dollar bills are also readily available on Ebay.

I also like to have one handy Doc. I usually respond with, "Yea but once I produce a Million dollars I can never change it back, are you sure you want that kinda cash?"

Then just reel 'em in. Smile
Yakworld.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Great ideas guys! The $1,000,000 is a lot cheaper than the miss-made bill and unlike the illogical changing a hundred back to a one, the million-dollar bill can be given away. Keep the buck and you’re ahead of the game!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Thanks so much for the idea. My mismade bill is starting to show wear and tear.

Hey Also, quite a few novelty shops carry fake bills that look real with pictures of Presidents Clinton and Bush. I was thinking of getting one of both to teach some 6th graders kids about presidential administration transistions. Do a normal bill switch while talking about Clinton and end up with Bush.
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
I ask people if they've ever seen the old trick where you fold the bill up and George turns upside down. Most of the time, they'll say they have. If not, I do it for them.

I then say that I'm going to show them the new and improved version. Patter lines following what position George is in. At the end of the folds, he's in four different directions. When I unfold it, that's where he is (mismade bill).

Scott
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I take the same path as Scott except instead of changing it into a mismade bill the second time around, I turn it into a bill with just the president's portrait upside down. I mention this is the "magicians' version" versus the regular version.

It also gives you a good reason to change it back : "in order to make it spendable again" (which may or may not be true).
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
The best is Michael Ammars version. Because you can see the bill the whole time. Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I have been using Kevin King's method, but instead of changing the $1 to a $100, I ask for a $10 or a $20 and go into my routine talking about how I am experimenting w/magic to become a "wealthier" person. I tell the spectator I will attempt to change their bill into a $100 or whatever they ask for. Their bill turns into a $1 dollar bill as I explain I am still working on it, I will give the $1 back and ask "got another twenty?" (this gets a good laugh and or groan) I will then restore the bill. This way the spectator will beg you to change it back. Smile
Tony Chapparo