The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: What's your favorite signed bill to impossible location (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I'll have a Signed Bill to Sharpie effect in my next ebook - coming out this Christmas. Just for fun, everyone who already posted can get a free write up of the effect if they send me a PM for it.

To clarify, the bill is found in the "chamber" or "casing" of the sharpie, not in the cap; and yes, the spectator removes the bill. You need to use "chisle tip" sharpies, not for any special reason, just because they're big enough to accomodate the folded bill.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
342 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Its look like the cova bill in Marker.no??
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-09-11 04:04, dedikc wrote:
Its look like the cova bill in Marker.no??

I don't know, I'm not familiar with the Cova version.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It doesn't fit your "criteria" but MY FAVORITE is my version of what is commonly known as Seabrooke's burnt note to wallet.

Before Terry came to the USA to perform, I had been taught this routine by him and had permission to use the routine (it was commonly sold in England anyway).

I had great success with this and used it for comedy club and corporate shows.

BUT THEN... when Terry came over here to perform, I took it out of my act. It had become what many call a "Signature piece" for me.

I then had to come up with a new "Signature piece", one that was MY OWN. Which I did. It took a couple of years to develop it to it's fullest, and remains my best work, and as far as I know, nobody has yet stolen it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I do a signed bill to inside cigar. The cigar is sitting on the table of a front-row spectator (after using the cigar for a gag) before I even borrow the money for the trick. People like it. That makes me happy.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Before I jumped into the world of Magic, I went out one night to visit some deaf people and just happened to be prepared to do the lemon trick. I knew nothing about good routine or patter. While I was at this house where people were scattered all over the place, I sat down with about 4 people and asked someone if I could borrow a dollar. Somebody gave me a dollar and, using Sign Language, I read off the serial number. Put the dollar into an envelope, pulled out a lighter and lit the envelope on fire. I grabbed a lemon off the table nearby and rubbed the ashes around the lemon. Gave the lemon and a sharp knife for someone to cut, and they pulled out a dollar that matched the serial number that was read off the paper.

These 4 people freaked out and wanted me to do it again, and I was so unprepared for that reaction. I felt great that I could have that kind of effect on people. There was little or no patter to this routine, and yet it worked! I guess I did this trick at the right place and time.

Just wanted to share this experience.
Have fun, folks.
Madkiki
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
My favorite is my own (with the exception that perhaps many others get the same simple idea):

Take money from spectator, and tear it in half. One half is changed to my own with TT and handed out to spectator. Other half vanished with a very little flashlight (from photo-camera) and TT. And without touching - spectator is invited to open a packet of chewing-gum lying during the whole time on the table and take out the middle gum, and therein is instead of the chewing gum the half bill with the corresponding number.

You will realize that it is easy to prepare the packet!

Angelo
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Check out "Calligraphic Cash" in John Carney's Book 'Carneycopia', pg 241, and his 'Chicarnery' DVD/Video.

A bill is signed, rolled up and heated with a lighter. In a flash, the bill disappears and in its place is an ink cartridge. In the pen is found the signed bill. This routine does use a flash bill.

It looks great.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Looks like this thread hasn't been active for a couple of months, so I'd like to change gears, if I may...

When Doing SIGNED BILL TO IMPOSSIBLE LOCATION, what is your motivation for vanishing and/or destroying the bill in the first place (accident while "cleaning it", etc.)???

Currently in my gigs, I am trying to send the signed bill back in time, using my brand-new Magic Time Machine from E-bay (and there is a horrible fire accident and the bill gets "lost" in the space-time continuum). What about you?
www.maniacofmagic.com

TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I do a signed bill to nest of dolls. The dolls are all the Russian leaders. Breshnev, back to Lennin. I explain how they were all capitalists at heart. It appears in a sealed envelope inside the smallest leader. Packs small plays big! What more could I ask for.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Russian nesting dolls, cool place to find a bill.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 13:17, sdmagic wrote:
I looked around the web for the pen required for Cramped. Can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know a source for the Sanford Liquid Tip pens? I'm thinking maybe they don't make them anymore....

sdmagic

I got mine from WH Smiths in the UK, Some were dry wipe, some were permanent, but they shared the same large cap and body
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
How about signed bill to nest of envelopes - S. Shufton's Emergency cash.
Or Jon Van der Put's EDV - signed bill and playing card to envelope.
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
After years of sending bills to lemons, nests of boxes, envelopes and balloons, I have developed my “own” comedy-routine using a TV remote control that fit with:

1. Doesn't use fruit.
2. The impossible location is in view BEFORE the bill is vanished.
3. No burning (I have discovered there are many substitutes for this).
4. The bill has GOT to be SIGNED.

At the end the bill is transformed into a pair of batteries and the spectator open the remote control compartment of the batteries finding the signed bill.

Excuse my English.

Marcelo
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I love the bill scam idea in David Blaine's book. It's illegal but ok lol. I do a few versions of this trick. I do it to my back pocket, a spectator's pocket, and even another stack of bills which I use in another routine.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 15:51, MaceloElGrande wrote:
...At the end the bill is transformed into a pair of batteries and the spectator open the remote control compartment of the batteries finding the signed bill.

Cool idea. A couple years ago I was playing with the same type of idea - batteries suddenly appearing where the bill was supposed to reappear. At the same instant, my CD player stops. Battery compartment is opened, and the signed bill is discovered. The idea never really made it to the stage, and now that I know somebody else is doing that... it probably never will. *sniffles and sobs*
www.maniacofmagic.com

MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-14 13:03, nathanallen wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 15:51, MaceloElGrande wrote:
...At the end the bill is transformed into a pair of batteries and the spectator open the remote control compartment of the batteries finding the signed bill.

Cool idea. A couple years ago I was playing with the same type of idea - batteries suddenly appearing where the bill was supposed to reappear. At the same instant, my CD player stops. Battery compartment is opened, and the signed bill is discovered. The idea never really made it to the stage, and now that I know somebody else is doing that... it probably never will. *sniffles and sobs*

Ohhhh! I'm sorry Nathan!... Hehehe

Briefly...

This idea came to me during a lecture, when I saw Joshua Jay use a remote control in an ambitious card routine, at the end Joshua (and not the spectator) open the battery compartment finding the signed card.

In my version, the remote control is like some sort of “time machine” and it can return the bill back to its childhood transforming it into one of smaller denomination.

After some failed attempts to get it to the present, the bill is transformed into a pair of batteries.

Throughout the routine the remote control is manipulated by the spectator.

Yes, I Know!!!... my English sucks!!!

Marcelo
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 08:39, MaceloElGrande wrote:
Yes, I Know!!!... my English sucks!!!

Don't beat yourself up. You're a better writer than many people who have spoken English their entire lives.
www.maniacofmagic.com

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I agree with MaceloElGrande: the bill must be signed or its corner torn or its number noted before being vanished.
The vanishing method is not neutral: real bills don't burn well, envelopes look corny, handkerchiefs are a bit "passé" (pay is now down electronically with the bank)
But more than this
The arrival place must not have been touched by the performer's hand and be out of his reach.

Years ago I was doing regularly a signed bill to sock using Carl Cloutier's conceptual effect but not his method (a Larry Becker midirection idea for the switch thank to the handling of the pen, dupplicate bills taken from a series and erasing the last digit)

I had both the (switched) bill signed and the number noted

For the vanish, I was using a bill switch for the photograph of a sexy girl (color photocopy to the proper size of a cut out from a magazine). LIGHT humor about girls and money, asking another spectator if he could give him the number of hte girl, and starting to undress by lifting up the leg of my pants (alluding to a streap tease).

The bill was retrieved in the sock where it had reappeared without my hands getting near (dupplicate). The number of the dupplicate was read for proof by the other spectator.

Ask if you can keep the bill since he got the number

Shuttle pass of the unsigned bill for the signed one given back to his owner. (a nice one behind effect)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Lawrence, I like your routine, especially this...

Quote:
On 2009-01-17 18:28, Lawrence O wrote:

For the vanish, I was using a bill switch for the photograph of a sexy girl (color photocopy to the proper size of a cut out from a magazine). LIGHT humor about girls and money, asking another spectator if he could give him the number of hte girl, and starting to undress by lifting up the leg of my pants (alluding to a streap tease).

that really fit with my style .

Marcelo