The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Moving the CAM Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Calgary would be my top choice from the above list. It has a large, vibrant magic community and can draw additional resources from magicians in surrounding Cities (ie. Edmonton and Red Deer). In addition to this, Calgary is already going to be the host City for the 2007 PCAM Convention and, as such, it will have a proven ability to organize and host such events.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2006-06-09 22:31, balducci wrote:
Loual4: Why do you have a picture featuring Stephen Harper as your avatar?

OUCH!!!

Well, to be honest, it is the first time anyone tells me I look like our PM... Should I take this as a compliment?

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
I vote for Vancouver. In my opinion it's one of the best cities on earth, and I am unanimous in that!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Niagra Falls is beautiful. There is sooooooo much to do there.
Toronto is good too.
If I were to vote. I would pick one of the following:
Calgary
Montreal
Toronto
Niagra Falls. (And like someone else said, they have the theatre that Greg Freewin plays in to host it.)

And like Ben said, Halifax is cool. I wouldnt mind not having to pay soo much for travel, but I live here, so it would be kinda boring...
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
Silverking states:
"The Toronto as "the centre of the universe" is poison to a fledgling National orgainization in Canada, and is the reason a great many Canadian magicians have not joined CAM.

The ground appears ripe for another group to apply to FISM for national recognician (which is allowed within the FISM bylaws) and move to challenge CAM as a representative body here in Canada.

It still isn't yet clear to me why CAM doesn't realize this and move quickly to offer a vision statement and mandate that illustrates how CAM intends to truly extend its scope across the country. "

I mostly agree with you. CAM is mostly a Toronto centered organization. However, let's face it: CAM is still in its infancy. Putting such a new organization together is no easy task. Since Joan does most of the work, I am not sure that moving this to a different city so early in the life of this organization and thus adding a new element of complexity is the right answer...

Also, suggesting that a new organization should be started is not very constructive IMHO.

Why not work with what we have? May I suggest that you can contribute to a solution by writing an article to magically describe what's going on in your part of the country. Work on increasing the membership in your area.

As far as I am concerned, Joan is doing a great job and deserves our support.

However, since the game in this thread appears to be the naming of different candidate host cities, my vote is for Ottawa Smile. First, I live here (I wouldn't have any excuse for not attending the conference). Second, it's not too far from Toronto which would keep things practical for the CAM organizing committee (let's take baby steps). Third it is the national capital, not a bad symbolic choice for a cross canadian organization conference. Fourth, it is home to one of, if not the, oldest IBM ring in Canada. However, more importantly, it is the birthplace of Dai Vernon... I see potential here for a special tribute...

Plus, it may be time for the magicians here in Ottawa to stop keeping such a low profile. There's really good talent here but we do a poor job at making us known...

Hmmm... I predict I'll regret these lines...

Jean-Luc
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I don't care...

maybe london just once so I can make it to it Smile
SantaClaus
View Profile
New user
North Pole
28 Posts

Profile of SantaClaus
If it's moved out of Toronto, so be it. My vote is Mississauga. Smile
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I vote for Calgary.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2006-06-09 09:41, Loual4 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 01:50, iamslow wrote:
Vancouver B.C. just because theres probably more magicians here than toronto and montreal put together...

If membership is any reflection of the number of magicians... The cam web site list approximately:
25 members in BC..
220 in Ontario,
and 35 in Quebec.... Not counting Melvin Rabbit...

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras

I don't think membership has anything to do with it... there are more magicians that's not a memeber of cam than there are memebers in their respective cities...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Vancouver
mr__magic
View Profile
New user
canada
5 Posts

Profile of mr__magic
Calgary!
Konrad Misiewicz
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2006-06-17 15:38, iamslow wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-09 09:41, Loual4 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 01:50, iamslow wrote:
Vancouver B.C. just because theres probably more magicians here than toronto and montreal put together...

If membership is any reflection of the number of magicians... The cam web site list approximately:
25 members in BC..
220 in Ontario,
and 35 in Quebec.... Not counting Melvin Rabbit...

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras

I don't think membership has anything to do with it... there are more magicians that's not a memeber of cam than there are memebers in their respective cities...

I agree that membership doesn't have a lot ot do with it... That is why I said "IF"...

My point with my previous post is that saying that there are more magicians in Vancouver BC than in Toronto and Montreal put together is highly unlikely to say the least... Look at the population in BC as of 2005: 4 254 200. Population in Ontario and Quebec combined: 20 139 500... The claim that BC produces more magicians than Ontario and Quebec combined is statisticaly very highly unprobable and doubtfull to say the very least.

Having said that, I have visited Vancouver once... My sister lived there for a few years... Very nice place!

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
AH HA, BUT, if the population of BC is actually 4 254 200 and the populations of both Ontario and Quebec are truly 20 139 500 and the moon is it's third quater in late June....what is the soup of the day at Chez Diane on the Main? Bet you can't answwer that.

Seriously, good work Louis. Can't argue with hard facts. I say throw a dart at the map of Canada and hold the next convention there.

John
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I hope the map doesn't include the Yukon, My vote is to keep the convention as is
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2006-06-26 14:48, John1964 wrote:
AH HA, BUT, if the population of BC is actually 4 254 200 and the populations of both Ontario and Quebec are truly 20 139 500 and the moon is it's third quater in late June....what is the soup of the day at Chez Diane on the Main? Bet you can't answwer that.

Seriously, good work Louis. Can't argue with hard facts. I say throw a dart at the map of Canada and hold the next convention there.

John

... Uh... Chicken noodle???

Thanks John!!

Louis Jutras
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Another Canadian Magic Association? Move CAM to another city ? The so called politics of Magic may apply to Joan but I don't really have to worry about ruffling a few feathers so here goes....

Lots of ideas but WHO IS GOING TO BELL THE CAT???????

I've had the opportunity to see behind the scenes and see the effort that Joan Ceasar puts into organizing CAM. Did you ever wonder why its bi-annual? Its because its too much work for ONE person to put together each year. that's what I said ONE person.

Ok..there are others involved but its mostly Joan at the reigns and a heck of a job she does. Why she takes on such a HUGE and grueling task for the giant sum of ZERO dollars is beyond me. Oh yeah... its because NOBODY else will..thats why. It also might have something to do with her LOVE of the magical arts.

How do we repay her???? With comments on how it can be done better or elsewhere? Its so easy to make suggestions about how to do something better especially when we have no idea of what it takes to put this thing together. It'd be interesting for Joan to dump the whole thing in her critics lap and see what happens with it.... any takers?????

Another Canadian Association....Bah!!! I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt anyone will lift a finger. Lots of tounges are being lifted however. Every has an idea but no time to give. C'mon all you critics out there lets see some action!

Getting off my soapbox now,

Tim
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Tim,

I didn't criticize Joan, I praised her. I suggested that moving the convention to another city could be done with the help of the host hotel and some volunteers in the area. I still think it could be done and I think it would be a positive thing. I certainly meant no malice and hope this message shows none. I also wish to add that my feathers aren't ruffled at all.

All the best,

Rob
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
RJE,

My message wasn't really directed at any one person but at an overall ignorance that I once shared. One of the first questions to Joan about the CAM convention was ... " have you thought about having it someplace else?"

I don't know why I asked that. The convention was wonderful and the theatre the Gala show was held in could stand up to any conventions venue. Kitchener is only an hr from me and I guess its one of those things you don't appreciate because you take it for granted.

Anyway ...when I asked that question I could see Joan had answered it many many times over but she politely explained that she had spent a lot of time sewing the seeds and making connections to make the convention happen and didn't see herself going through it all over again just to move it.

I hope nobody took my comments personally. I was a little hot when I posted but I think it needed to be said.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Thanks for the polite response. Several Café freinds were sure I'd get a bunch of flames in response.
JonParis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JonParis
>> P.S. Thanks for the polite response. Several Café freinds were sure I'd get a bunch of flames in response.

You'll get no flames from me either Tim. I agree 100% with what you have said.

I have been involved in organizing conferences related to my full-time work for over 12 years now. I have also run my own twice yearly conference for over three years - I can attest to the incredible amount of work involved.

While enrolling as a first timer for the 2005 event, I discovered that Joan did most of the organizing/enrollments/etc. for the convention. As a result I decided to offer to assist in any way I could - I've gotten so much out of magic over the years, I figured it was time for some payback.

Due to other commitments all I could do for 2005 was pickup folks at the airport - but that turned out to be a great way to meet Jason and Shoot. Since then I've taken on the CAM e-zine and have every intention of helping in any way I can for the 2007 convention.

I would encourage anyone reading this to consider volunteering - and THEN if they still feel the same way they can start carping about the organization and the location of the convention.

Jon
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Hi,

I will like to contribute to the new Cam magazine in a way or another...

Can someone gave me the links or contact to who I need to contact for such request?

Thank you for your time and service

Pat Kuffs