The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Patter for coincidence tricks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
In the many threads on this forum on "best/favorite self-working card trick," plenty of people mention Gemini Twins for a variety of good reasons. So I was hoping to get your input on what patter you use when doing that trick. I am not a big fan of passing off tricks as "experiments" if it can be avoided, and the suggested patter in the Fulves book featuring the trick ("Wouldn't it be amazing if...") isn't really my favorite approach, either.

I figure (hope) that some of you have something more innovative. I've been trying out a few different things but nothing feels quite right. I'm comfortable with my patter on other tricks, but for some reason I'm not comfortable with my patter for coincidence tricks and I feel my unease with patter on those comes through in my performance. Since Gemini Twins is usually the trick I open with I'd like to come across as more sure of myself, and it drives me nuts that I'm having such silly patter problems with the easiest trick I do. Yes, I can use the typical suggested patter and get away with it, but I really want something new. Do any of you, for example, use the trick as a "compatibility test" for couples (doing the trick for two instead of one)? Do any of you tell the spectator that you were testing your ability to control their dealing? What gives you the best results? What are you most comfortable with?

Do any of you have any patter approaches to tricks such as Gemini Twins outside of the suggested norms, and if so would you be kind enough to share them? PM is fine if that's what you prefer, of course.

I know I may be overthinking this, especially with a trick this simple, but with magic being a performance art I prefer to think (and hope you agree) that my insistence on being 100% comfortable with patter is a good thing. But if you think I'm overthinking this, feel free to tell me that as well.

Thanks in advance,

Roger
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi Roger,

I like to mess around with the theme of so called subliminal advertising when performing Gemini Twins (or its cousins like Nick Trost's Rainbow Miracle). People seem to like the approach.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
833 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
I do it as mentalism with a "subliminal prediction" theme : it works well Smile
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Vlad and Nestor, the subliminal ideas sound great. Different than anything I've tried, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll start working on one right now. Thank you both very much.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
John Carey has a great line for this that I've stolen for Do As I Do. It's from his Vanishing Inc video:

Magic: "Do you believe in coincidence?"
Spec: "Yes."
Magi: "So do I. That's a coincidence!"

Wonderful line.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

I know I may be overthinking this, especially with a trick this simple, but with magic being a performance art I prefer to think (and hope you agree) that my insistence on being 100% comfortable with patter is a good thing. But if you think I'm overthinking this, feel free to tell me that as well.

Not at all Roger, in fact, this is very refreshing to see.

I love the fact that one could take a trick like Gemini Twins and find multiple ways to present it.

Is it a blind coincidence? Is this evidence of subliminal programing? Is this evidence of your ability to influence people's decisions/actions? Was this foretold, perhaps, from a dream you had? Is this nothing more than a proposition bet?

One can find inspiration from many sources and one can listen and follow other's suggestions. The really beautiful thing is though, YOU are the final authority! Even if you follow a suggestion down to the letter and make it yours; you are the one giving yourself permission to do so.

Good luck Roger!

David
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 4, 2014, David Martin wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

Not at all Roger, in fact, this is very refreshing to see.

I love the fact that one could take a trick like Gemini Twins and find multiple ways to present it.

Is it a blind coincidence? Is this evidence of subliminal programing? Is this evidence of your ability to influence people's decisions/actions? Was this foretold, perhaps, from a dream you had? Is this nothing more than a proposition bet?

One can find inspiration from many sources and one can listen and follow other's suggestions. The really beautiful thing is though, YOU are the final authority! Even if you follow a suggestion down to the letter and make it yours; you are the one giving yourself permission to do so.

Good luck Roger!

David

Thanks very much, David. The one thing I've learned since getting back into card magic is how good patter can make even bad tricks look great. A guy in my office does some of the most God-awful tricks I've ever seen (and it's a good bet that you and everyone else in the forum has seen them) but makes them so entertaining that even I (knowing how these tricks are done) really enjoy watching him. I used to do standup comedy and am not shy, but much like standup you have to have the material.

I'm still looking for that perfect patter for coindicence tricks, and the ideas I got from this thread are a good start. With coincidences I really dislike "Wouldn't it be amazing if...?" because when I was asked that as a kid I would answer "yes" to be polite, but inside I was thinking "no, it wouldn't, you're a magician, so it would be amazing if it DIDN'T work." You can always tell whens someone isn't comfortable with his / her patter, he / she sounds like a used car salesman on his / her first day on the job, and I'd rather not do a trick at all then stumble through patter I don't like.

Thanks again to everyone who answered.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
833 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
"no, it wouldn't, you're a magician, so it would be amazing if it DIDN'T work." maybe you already have the base for your patter... Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, ianchandler wrote:
John Carey has a great line for this that I've stolen for Do As I Do. It's from his Vanishing Inc video:

Wonderful line.

The first time I heard that line was by Aldo Colombini and the flip side of that line which I prefer

Magician: " do you believe in coincidence ? "

Spectator: " no "

Magician: " what a coincidence neither do I "
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Wonderful line.

Stolen?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Wonderful line.

Stolen?

Bob Hope stole it first.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
713 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Roger, I am PM'ing you an idea.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Anyone thought of using Gemini Twins to find the other card? That is to say if we have a red queen and a black king, the red queen finds the other black king and the black king finds the other red queen? That would be a nice result for a compatability presentation for a couple.
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, 0pus wrote:
Anyone thought of using Gemini Twins to find the other card? That is to say if we have a red queen and a black king, the red queen finds the other black king and the black king finds the other red queen? That would be a nice result for a compatability presentation for a couple.

Nice idea Smile
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, 0pus wrote:

I have tried this. In my experience it works pretty well for couples, but it isn't as good if you are doing it for one person, the immediate visual impact isn't as strong.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Of course not. With whom would the solitary person be compatible? Then you just find the twin. You need to consider both the presentation and the circumstances.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 8, 2015, 0pus wrote:
Of course not. With whom would the solitary person be compatible? Then you just find the twin. You need to consider both the presentation and the circumstances.

I have. And even with couples I prefer just having the twins found. The impact is immediate. True, it only takes a second for the couple to verify success the other way, but in my experience that second takes away from the impact. Your results may well be different, but that's what I've observed.