The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Favorite effect using.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
What are some of your favorite effects(and where they can be found) using a pencil dotted card or a corner short and a nail knick???

All the best,

SIX
rhucko1
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
126 Posts

Profile of rhucko1
Harry Riser has some great ideas using a corner short and a straddle faro. Check out his book "Secrets of an Escamoteur" if interested.

Thanks,
Rich
"Card experts agree that the colour change, or transformation, is one of the most magical effects possible with a pack of cards."
- Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig by Lewis Ganson & Dai Vernon
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If you mark back of 26 cards, you can perform 'Neither Stupid Nor Silly' without seeing the faces. Of course this idea appolies to 26 corner shorts. (No.106).

Hideo Kato
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Hideo,

Can you describe the effect and where it can be found?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
It's in Tamariz' "Sonata". Its origin is Annemann's 'Alternate Detection' wich is in "SH-H-H-H---! IT$B!G(BS A SECRET" published in 1934.

I don't have time to explain the effect in detail. If I don't explain it in detail, you won't know why it is a wonderful trick.

Hideo Kato

Posted: Feb 14, 2007 10:40pm
N0.108 Finger Inspiration

I have a time to write my creation inspired by this thread.

Receive selected card above or below the dot card. (Shuffle the cards not separating the dot card and the selection if you like). Ribbon Spread the deck, and secretly glimpse where is the dot card.

Turn to left and extend right hand on the spread pointing the card with forefinger. Move right hand from left end of the spread to the right end. (about 10 cm over the cards). Return the finger to left acting sensing something, and finally stop at aprox position you think the dot card is.

Turn to the front and drop your finger on the selected card saying "This must be your card". Reveal it.

By practicing you can stop the finger within 1 or 2 cm leeway. That leeway can be coped with when you drop the finger.

This trick has been performed by me with face up spread with a key card, and very good one. I thank Six for inspiring me to use a dot card.

Hideo Kato
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
In a flash using a pencil dot and I like that trick a lot.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 22:40, Hideo Kato wrote:
N0.108 Finger Inspiration

I have a time to write my creation inspired by this thread.

Receive selected card above or below the dot card. (Shuffle the cards not separating the dot card and the selection if you like). Ribbon Spread the deck, and secretly glimpse where is the dot card.

Turn to left and extend right hand on the spread pointing the card with forefinger. Move right hand from left end of the spread to the right end. (about 10 cm over the cards). Return the finger to left acting sensing something, and finally stop at aprox position you think the dot card is.

Turn to the front and drop your finger on the selected card saying "This must be your card". Reveal it.

By practicing you can stop the finger within 1 or 2 cm leeway. That leeway can be coped with when you drop the finger.

This trick has been performed by me with face up spread with a key card, and very good one. I thank Six for inspiring me to use a dot card.

Hideo Kato

With all that heat on the backs of the cards, you had better make that pencil dot real small. Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
To tell the truth, I don't use pencil dot for this trick because audience has attention on back of the cards. I have much better method.

Hideo Kato
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Check out The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields as well as The Card Magic of Edward Marlo for some good nail nick work.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I only have a few ideas... You could use the pencil dot as a key (adjacent or floating), that way there's no need to look through the faces of the cards to locate the selection. You could also force the pencil dotted card and you have track of it the entire time the cards are face down (no breaks needed, etc.) and reveal it in any way you wish. One of my favorite uses for a pencil dot is in the clock trick. This way, you never need to see the faces of the cards. If you can't see the faces, neither can the spectators which makes it all the more baffling.

Corner short is good for controlling cards without the need to hold a break, meaning you can put the deck down, getting it out of your hands, yet you know where the selection(s) is/are just by feel. A corner short (or any short) is also good for riffle forcing without the need for a break. I would use this in the context of "Line of Sight" found in John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy." Instead of riffling,then holding a break followed by a glimpse, I would riffle force with the corner short and the trick is pretty much done... just sell it from there.

These ideas could probably be extrapolated to nail-nicked cards as well.

I think the Clock Trick I mentioned above can be found in Royal Road (if I'm not mistaken, which I may be!). If not, just go to your library or Barnes and Noble and look through the magic books there... it's bound to be in one of those.