The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Favorite version of the 21 card trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I particularly like the Mike Powers' version in his new book. It's a hands off trick where the spectator deals the cards to himself, cuts one of the piles to find his card, then loses it among the other packets. Then you go through a lie detector series of questions until he finally hits on his card. This one is killer and self working! So what's your favorite version?
Midway
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Midway
Actually I really like the Mike Power's version as well. However when I did it for my wife, while she like it, she commented that I already did a lie dectector spelling effect that was similar (which I do). So I "tweaked" the Powers effect. After I deal the cards face down a second time I ask the spectator how they want me to pick up the piles (either right to left or left to right). I then reassemble the 21 cards according to their wishes. I then say I"m going to riffle shuffle the packet and spread over the top ten cards for a riffle shuffle. Since their selection is always at tenth card from the top I just make sure its at the bottom of the packet after the shuffle. I then do a gemini twins routine where I deal the cards one at a time and stop whenever they want and insert a locator card face up from the rest of the pack. When I then spread the cards I emphasize that they cut the cards where ever they wanted and I shuffled the cards and they stopped where ever they wanted. The responses I"ve gotten for this are way out of proportion to the work Involved.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Interesting version Midway, although it does take away from the spectator doing all the work and it gets rid of the hands free feel to it. Also check out Bill Goldman's take on the 21 card trick.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Jon Racherbaumer is compiling many versions of the 21 Card Trick. He is writing a manuscript on this effect. There are MANY versions out there. Some that you know, and some that you don't know. Keep your eye out for it.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
From Ed Marlo has come excellent variations explained in his classic but hard to find book 'Marlo Without Tears' which is a Jon Racherbaumer book, so I wouldn't be surprised if they may show up there as well.
Magically, Jack
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
There is an interesting 21 card trick in some old lecture notes by John Mendoza. I think the effect is called streamline 21. I remember doing this a few years ago and it really is streamlined.

Walking Bob in Iowa
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Andrew Wimhurst has a version called "Cheating at 21" that is one of the best impromptu effects I have ever performed. You can use a borrowed deck (I have found that to be most effective) and it is hands off. To a lay audience, it is staggering. To an audience of magicians, it is equally as staggering.

You can see Andrew perform it on his award winning video from A1 Video.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I second the above post on Andrew Wimhurst version of this effect. It's simple but plays strong in the right hands.
Self concept is destiny..
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm not really familiar with the other versions in print but, as I mentioned in the other 21-card trick I foolishy started, I came up with my own version where the spectator's card is a different colored back than the rest of the cards. Nothing special, but it plays so nice.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Josh, I tackled the Technicolor 21 Card Trick already. It is in one of my lecture notes.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Chris Kenner's, "Must be 21 to Enter"
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Jack Parker has not one but 2 in Set to Stun or Set to Kill. I forget which set its in, but both notes are fantastic.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
Sunken 21 & Invisible 21 by Jack Parker are both in Set to Kill.
http://www.jacksdeck.com/25.html
bglover
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bglover
My favourite is 'The World's most obscene 21-card trick' from 'The Little Egypt Book of Numbers' by Steve Bryant.

Brian Glover.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Isn't "Overkill" from AOA a variation on this trick?
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Bugjack I believe you are correct due to the principle it uses. Awsome trick by the way...it really kills.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Which one did Michael Ammar use in his ETMCM?