The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Joyal stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
What do you think about the joyal stack??

what do you think about the tricks for the joyal stack?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
You can view the Joyal stack by downloading Stackview (www.stackview.com). You can view many stacks actually. But, I haven't memorized the stack, but I know that people have memorized it in less than 6 hours. But, Tamariz's book comes out in a few weeks, which has a stack that can be memorized in 3 hours. As for the tricks, I started a thread about them, but never got a straight answer about them. I still am wondering if they are mentialism tricks or not.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
The Joyal stack (the book)comes with some nice routines.
You could use many routines from the Aronson books as well.
The Aronson stack has many built in routines,the Joyal stack does not.

Joyal is a great random stack you could memorize in a couple days easy.

It took me 2 months to memorize Aronson without useing a system just raw mind work.

I believe there is some mis-information about being able to memorize the Tamariz stack in 3 hours,but it is the talk of the town.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
The Joyal Memorized Stack is great!!!

of course this is a very personal question (and answer), as well all have different needs concerning a memorized deck.

The main Reason why I did not choose the Aronson stack is because I do not care about its built-in features as I can do them all with a normal shuffled deck. And I have no prior mnemonic training. Furthermore, since my first language is French, the mnemonics included in "Bound to Please" are of little use to me as they are in English (although I admit I could have created my own, or learn or through rote memory).

The Joyal stack IS the easiest stack to learn, and as opposed to Aronson's it does not fade away with lack of using. And after a short time the rules simply fade away!!!

The routines in the Joyal book are stack independant, which means they can be done with ANY memorized deck.
I personally like the "Poupart trick".

Keep in mind that there are 4 main points to consider when you decide to choose which stack to memorize (listed in no particular order):

-Does it look like a shuffled deck?
-How easy is it to memorize?
-Will it remains in your memory for a long time?
-Are there any built-in tricks? (that you will actually use!)

The way you prioritize these questions will lead you to the right stack to memorize.

There are many memorized decks/stacks to choose from:
Joyal, Aronson, Tamariz, Klase (this one has great built-in features, to bad I saw it after I learn Joyal's!), Si Stebbins (see Steven Youell's work), Clause Rix, Boris Wild, etc...

I strongly suggest you check them all, in order to take the best decision.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

This is another thread on the Joyal Stack.

About the tricks...
I am rescripting the "Lazy Mentalist Returns." I like it a lot. I am leaning towards Poker Face. "Red, White, and Blue" has great potential. I haven't sat down with it yet, but I liked the first read.

Patrick
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 23:37, saturnin wrote:
The Joyal stack IS the easiest stack to learn, and as opposed to Aronson's it does not fade away with lack of using. And after a short time the rules simply fade away!!!

Instead of a 6 hour memorized deck, how about a 3 hour memorized deck? When Mnemonica is released next month, you'll find a section with an unusual method for memorizing the Tamariz stack in only 3 hours!
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
I actually learned the Joyal Stack in 3 hours.

The 6 hours suggestes by Martin Joyal is a very safe number, but me and two other people I know learned it in between 3 and 4 hours!!!

Ronnie Lemieux
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
dbiderman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dbiderman
While I admit that I might be wrong on this subject, when you learn a stack in 3 hours or whatever, you usually are learning it with a bunch of mnemonics and or mathematics games, and then from there you have to learn to be able to know the deck without constantly using those little tricks. so, in actuality, to really know the deck it is going to take a couple of weeks. the way I do it is learn 5 cards a day, and just go over whatever I have already memorized over and over again. this way takes about an hour of work a day, and takes just 10-12 days (i did it with my own deck which was a mistake cause it has none of the great features any other stack has)
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Whether it takes 6 hours, 9 hours, or 3 hours to learn a stack is entirely dependant on the individual and the stack being memorized. It took me 9 hours to get the Joyal work into by thick head, and I've been working with it now for two weeks. I think I need another two weeks with it before I'll be comfortable enough with it to use it. I could spend the rest of my life "learning" it, and never consider it a waste of time. But that's just me...

Every reference I've read or heard about MD's say one thing...No matter which stack you learn, no matter how long it takes you to learn, take the time necessary to learn it FLAT COLD. Any fumbling, mumbling, grumbling, or error when recalling the card or stack position seriously detracts from the overall effect and it also dramatically increases the probabilities of exposure.

The MD is one of the sharpest tools in my shed. I'm going to take the time to use it wisely, lest I botch it and lose a couple of fingers in the process.

Patrick
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The Joyal version is the one I use and I can't thank him enough for releasing it. It has permitted me to create some of the strongest material I perform.

Larry D.

P.S. - My memory stinks and it took me less than 6 hours to learn but a little longer to feel 100% comfortable in performance.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
MRD Friday wrote:
Quote:
Whether it takes 6 hours, 9 hours, or 3 hours to learn a stack is entirely dependant on the individual and the stack being memorized.

Absolutely. The Joyal approach (rule-based) is but one of four standard ways to learn a stack, and it is not the fastest for most people. Nor is Joyal's the only stack to use this technique. Further, there are important additional concerns associated with learning a stack, which generally get ignored in exchanges of this sort. Those interested in exploring the issue in greater depth might want to peruse my essay on the topic; it attempts to categorize the tradeoffs among the different schemes.

Regardless of what you may think of the stack itself, however, Martin Joyal's book is a "must have" for serious students of memorized deck work. It has a superb historical section (updated for more recent methods on his Web site), and several good routines.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yo can win a copy of Juan Tamariz new book Mnemonica at Martin Joyal´s web, go to his Forum and click on the Tamariz post:
http://www.joyalstack.com/