The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Mem deck routines while strolling (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I perform many walk around acts as a Mentalist during a year. I’d like to add more mem deck routines in my walk around act that do not require a table to have cards spread on, or dealt on. Some of my favorites are Simon Aronson’s Past Present Future, Twice as Hard, and Everybody’s Lazy. Unfortunately, these are out of the question when I’m walking around performing at a cocktail hour. For these events I normally perform Simon’s Two Beginnings and Richard Osterlind’s Card Calling. I’m wondering if anybody can give me recommendations of other popular mem deck effects that I can perform in these environments?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Test your luck by Darwin Ortiz. Very good effect.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Thank you Kjellstrom. I like it!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Invisible Card by Simon Aronson
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 22, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
Invisible Card by Simon Aronson

I like this one too but normally do the Head Over Heels version Simon teaches on his DVD and TTI book.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

One that I’ve discovered while reasearching is Simon’s Birthday Backer in Art Decko,specifically the Countdown Cull version. However, a memorized deck isn’t exactly necessary for it. Very simple and direct version of the birthday card plot.
Churken2
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Churken2
I agree with Test Your Luck - super strong effect.

Also,

Or Not by Dani da Ortiz
Smiling Mule by Michael Close
Test Conditions by Richard Osterlind

I use all of these on a regular basis when strolling.
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Davi Blaine does some nice mem deck tricks in this performance, some of which do not need a table. I believe the one where a group of cards is removed, is a variation of an Asi Wind trick found in his book Repertoire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8soAhOKE0
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
From Darwin Ortiz as well as Test your Luck, I normally use Remote Control (which you can do Strolling if you count into their hands), Double Tap and Sorcerer's Apprentice. All work great in strolling.

Also from Matt Bakers Buena Vista Shuffle Club check out Casablanca which is similar to Sorcerer's Apprentice in that they are both similar to Al Koran's Double Thought. And Location Sensing Device and Tilapia all of which can be done strolling and don't ruin your order.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

I think I finally found what I've been looking for: Michael Close's Haunted Deck. Anybody here perform this? I've known about it for years but it came across my mind just a few days ago while thinking of another card trick I perform. I normally perform Nicholas Einhorn's Spooked and thought how cool it would be if somebody just named the card to pop out of the deck. I've gone ahead and bought all the necessary materials and made up the gimmick today to perform Michael Close's version. This one is going to be a lot of fun!
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

It's been over a year since I first posted this and I must say I'm still doing the same card effects with a memorized deck that don't use a table while performing them. When I'm strolling, I'm usually performing Simon Aronson's Two Beginnings, Richard Osterlind's Card Calling, or Nicholas Einhorn's Spooked. I looked into adding Simon's Invisible Card but I will need to use either a table or the spectators hand to put the turned over faces onto which I'm not too crazy about. I did find Michael Close's Myopia very interesting and I'm practicing it now.
I know I first asked what other memorized deck effects I could use while strolling in a reception or cocktail hour but I'd be just as interested to learn other non-memorized deck card effects that keep my cards in Aronson stack order after I'm finished with it.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
195 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2023, The_MetalMaster wrote:
I think I finally found what I've been looking for: Michael Close's Haunted Deck. Anybody here perform this? I've known about it for years but it came across my mind just a few days ago while thinking of another card trick I perform. I normally perform Nicholas Einhorn's Spooked and thought how cool it would be if somebody just named the card to pop out of the deck. I've gone ahead and bought all the necessary materials and made up the gimmick today to perform Michael Close's version. This one is going to be a lot of fun!

Dear Metalmaster, where can one find Michael Close's Haunted deck? Thanks in aniticipation.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Quote:
On May 9, 2024, Ferry Gerats wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2023, The_MetalMaster wrote:

Dear Metalmaster, where can one find Michael Close's Haunted deck? Thanks in aniticipation.

It's on his Workers 2 DVD and also in his Complete Worker's ebook. I would perform this but it's hard to beat Einhorn's Spooked. One big advantage to Close's routine is that any card called can be the one that is magically cut to.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
195 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Metalmaster thanks a lot!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I like Ungaffed Ted by Alan Ackerman
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Ungaffed Ted sounds really good. Thanks so much Nikodemus!
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
All of my mem deck stuff works for strolling. Any card called for is the best place to start!
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
334 Posts

Quote:
On May 10, 2024, gowenmagic wrote:
All of my mem deck stuff works for strolling. Any card called for is the best place to start!

I believe that is what Aronson's Two Beginnings is.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
If you use a stacked marked deck, you can do some easy but amazing mind-reading.
Start off by reading one card at a time held by the spectator. Inevitably they will start to suspect marked cards. Then you do the same thing even though you don't see the back of the card.
peirceman
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of peirceman
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
If you use a stacked marked deck, you can do some easy but amazing mind-reading.
Start off by reading one card at a time held by the spectator. Inevitably they will start to suspect marked cards. Then you do the same thing even though you don't see the back of the card.

I'm confused as to why you would need marked cards at all.

One of my favorite bits to do with a memdeck is the effect David Blaine does where he has the participant take out a group of cards and then they are named one at a time by the magician. Tell the spectator to think of one of the cards, whichever is the most different from the rest and call that one last.