The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Par Optic Vision with Aronson Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
331 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I Performed Par Optic Vision last night with the Aronson Stack. The first time I performed it, it absolutely killed. People were looking all over for mirrors I could've been looking at. However, the next time I perfirmed it, the deck was cut to AD, 7S and 5s. I had to do some serious fishing this time and missed on 5s and 7s. Has anybody else performed this classic effect with Simons stack? If so, how will you go about fishing when there are similar suits in the 3 cards chosen? I performed Bob Cassidys version where I have the helper cut the deck behind my back.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Which one of you is thinking of a seven? It's impressive that you know some one is then when they say which one you can divine the colour and suit.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I don't know Par optic vision. Was just assuming it's similar to something I do with Mnemonica. If what I said made no sense, sorry. Richard Osterlind has loads of nice touches wih his Radar Deck that can be adapted. I show first person first 5 cards of stack. Second person next five cards (so you all think of a different card) then third person next five cards, then put the cards away and use Richards fishing methods for the radar deck. Very clean mind reading. Can freak people out if you get a bit of luck and hit all your fishes ü
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
331 Posts

I really like how Richard's Radar deck looked on his Mind Mysteries DVD, and also interested in checking out his Dynamo Deck for Par Optic Vision. I just don't want to memorize another deck. If you have Practical Mental Effects, Par Optic is in there in the Blindfold Mysteries chapter. In Par Optic, the 3 cards are put into the helpers pocket and the same spectator takes out one card at a time while your back is turned/blindfolded. You tell them exactly what card it is they take out of their pocket, one by one.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
That's an amazing effect but I see you can't do the fishing I suggested. Sorry about that. If you really like performing that effect how about having another deck in si stebbins or eight kings ready to go. You will always have different suits. Not the best solution but can't think of another off the top of my head.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
331 Posts

I practiced it last night with it in Si Stebbens but that stack is so awkward to use after you have a stack memorized cold like I do with Aronson stack. The effect is def worth the practice. I've considered even learning Osterlind's Breakthrough system since I know he always performs the effect.

This effect stirred up quite a crowd around me Friday night and I was quite impressed with the attention so you can see how it's def worth the practice
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
When I used to do this effect I knew in which order the cards went into the pocket: it is important if you want to limit the fishing to a strict minimum.

Anyway the fishing between the two spades (or any two cards of the same suit) could go like this, for example:

It's a black card, isn't it?
Yes

It's a Spades.
Yes

The value is odd, right? -- Useless info, but it's a hit; it could have helped if the values were odd/even
Yes

And the value spells with an 'S'?
Yes -> seven
No -> five

If you don't like the last piece of fishing, you could face the spec, making sure the card face is not visible and say "It's a five ...", watch his reaction and either confirm or jump to "No, it's not, it's the seven of spades".
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
When doing 3-card fishing, I turn it around and have them mentally send the cards to me.

Any errors are because it's a new process for them, and it's not easy.

They eventually succeed.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Using the Arosnon set up shouldn't you know all three cards? Simon has some thought expanding devious ideas about how to use any stacked deck in his ebook Memories are Made of This. It can be gotten for free here from Vanishing Inc.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
331 Posts

Quote:
On May 27, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Using the Arosnon set up shouldn't you know all three cards? Simon has some thought expanding devious ideas about how to use any stacked deck in his ebook Memories are Made of This. It can be gotten for free here from Vanishing Inc.

oh yes. that's the easy part. in par optic vision, the spectator can take out any 1 of the 3 cards out of his pocket so there could be a little fishing to figure out which one. I've fixed the problem though and perform this all the time with the Aronson stack. Its quite the killer!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On May 27, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:

oh yes. that's the easy part. in par optic vision, the spectator can take out any 1 of the 3 cards out of his pocket so there could be a little fishing to figure out which one. I've fixed the problem though and perform this all the time with the Aronson stack. Its quite the killer!

If you do not mind sharing, what is your solution to this?
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Quote:
If you do not mind sharing, what is your solution to this?

I do what Richard Osterlind does. I have the spectator put each card into a different pocket in the order I specify. No ambiguity!

Spike
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
331 Posts

I have them put into the same pocket and then just follow the original Annemann instructions
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
384 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
You originally had a problem with fishing between two cards of the same suit. Is that the problem you've now solved?
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.