The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Best and easiest memorized deck system to use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I want to learn a memorized deck system. Which one is the easiest and best to use?

Thanks
Sly
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
8 Kings is the only one I've used I'm sure there are plenty of others. I learned it off CardTrickCentral.com a couple of years ago.
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Take a deck, shuffle it well and memorize it.
it is the only way to be sure.
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
Quote:
On 2004-01-09 02:10, usa wrote:

Sounds like an abstinence campaign.

An option I have heard good things about is the 6 Hour Memorized Deck by Martin Joyal.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
"Sounds like an abstinence campaign. "

no it's from the movie "alien II"
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
142 Posts

Profile of Wizard
Quote:
On 2004-01-09 02:34, Decker wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like an abstinence campaign.

An option I have heard good things about is the 6 Hour Memorized Deck by Martin Joyal.

This system will quite serve you well.Choose the SHoCkeD stack it is easier to remember.
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
Zeiros
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Zeiros
By memorized stack do you mean actually memorized as in think of a card and know from heart where in the deck it is and vice versa, or a system whereby given any card you can figure out which is next in the stack.

If it's the first I'd recommend the Nikola stack, although I have heard good things about the Aronson stack. Both are hard (in my opinion) to learn, but are very powerful, and have additional effects like poker deals built in.

If it's the latter then Osterlind's Mental Breakthrough System. Looks completely random, but it is a very easy system to learn
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
If you`re looking for a system I would go with Si Stebbinis. Great system where all cards look thoroughly mixed Smile
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Why do you want to memorise a deck? What effect do you want to perform or is it just for the mental excercise?

If it'a for an effect, I can't recommend Alan Shaxon's NAME A CARD enough. It's awesome. Spectator just names a card and you IMMEDIATELY find it - with one action. Can be repeated again and again with spectators firing card names at you and you constantly finding them!

Amazing!
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
HI Slydini62,

first if you intent to learn ANY memorized deck, you may want to search the subject using the "search: function on the top right corner of the forum's webpage.

Because in order to make a good sound decision you will want to look around and study the different memorized deck on the market (Joyal, Aronson, Tamariz, Rix, Green, Osterlind, Nikola, etc...) and see what each have to offer (pros & cons).

Please read this thread before going any further:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=2&5

Hope this helps!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Osterlind system is good, so is the Cornelius system. Neither is an actual memorized stack, they are systems, but they accomplish the same thing.

The Nikola stack is excellent. Using it also gives you access to a mnemonic system.

If you don't know what you can do with a MEMORIZED stack as opposed to a system such as Stebbins or 8 Kings, then you need to look at the literature.

Better yet, DON'T look at the literature. Then those of us who know a memorized deck system can fool you!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I personally use the Aronson system because it was the first one I was exposed to and he has a lot of published material on it. It was the easy choice. I'm looking forward to the Tamariz works which are supposed to be coming out soon.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The easiest deck to memorize is a one-way force deck, assuming you can remember one card. Smile

There are a variety of good systems for memorizing an entire deck. I use Martin Joyal's system for a variety of reasons but there's not one system that's best for everyone. You'll find a lot of information by using the search function.

Larry D.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
This is Darwin Ortiz' advice as well. I find it better than any specific stack.

Quote:
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Si Stebbins is probably the easiest and you really don't have to memorize anything.

Whoever said to shuffle a deck and memorize it must not know anything about the subject as the stacks, such as Stebbins allow you to do some great effects.

The easiest, for example, is having a card selected, freely, and by cutting at that point, a look at the bottom card tells you the name of the selection.

There is MUCH MUCH MORE... if you are good with your memory, then the Aronson is used by many of the top guys... as well as the Nicola.

The big thing is you have to do it ALL THE TIME.

One of the really top guys told me "Now that I have a regular gig, working almost every night, I can start to use the Aronson stack. It takes daily use."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
I'm not sure which system it is, but in Scarne On Card Tricks there was one that is pretty easy for specific effects.

You have a number system for the cards and suits and can tell fairly easily, for example, which cards have been removed from a large packet of cards...or the whole deck if you're fast at adding numbers! It's great because spades=0 and anytime your total is over 10, you drop the zero/tens spot ...14 is 4..10 is 0...12 is 2 etc so it's easy to keep track.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Try Doug Dyment's QUICKSTACK

Howard
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

The only way to be sure about WHAT, exactly?! My vote is for the Joyal stack. It's not a hard one to learn, it appears random, and you know where every card is, unlike the 8 kings, Sy Stebbins, or BCS. You can do some wonderful effects only knowing the next card (check Osterlind's DVD #2) but for about 6 hours (according to Joyal; it took me less time)you can learn the positions of ALL of the cards relative to each other. If the former is good enough for the effects you want to do, then I'd take BCS over 8 kings or Sy Stebbins, because you can spread the deck face up (or leave the cards behind), and nobody would suspect a stack.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Isn't irony great?
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
At the end of the day you are going to have to sit down at some time and atually learn the order so its up to you. But personally I would go witht eh aronson stack as it can be used to perform miracles.
La magie, c'est ma vie