The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: What principle is this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Does anyone know the name/creator of this principle?

Let's say you have a deck stacked as so: (the suits don't matter, only the values do)

Any four cards that are selected, as long as they are right next to each other, will always turn out to be one 1, one 2, one 3 and one 4.

Does anyone know who created this principle and what it's called?
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
If you have any of Martin Gardner's recreational mathematics/magic books you may find a mention of the principle in one of those. Sounds like the sort of thing Gardner would write about.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I'd like to help, but I'm not following you. Is this a deck of 52 card, with only 4 different values used? If so, it is akin to the Al Koran 5 Star Forcing Deck which would be like that, but with a single indifferent card between each of the 4 repeated value cards.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about the deck you are inquiring about?

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
The question is confusing because there are 13 values and four suits, but you're numbering the cards 1, 2, 3, 4. What do you mean by 1, 2, 3, 4? It might help to generate a concrete a example. "AH, KS, 4D, 9C, 3H" etc.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
The deck is setup with a whole bunch of duplicates.
So every card is either an ace, two, three or four. So obviously, you'll need multiple decks to make this up.

I have this deck and a few indifferent cards on top. I show the indifferent cards which persuades people it's a normal deck. The deck is spread on the table. I introduce a gift card or ID, and have them stick it anywhere into the spread. I use the top four cards underneath where they put the gift card, and they will always be a n ace, two, three and four.

Basically, in the routine I do, I need to force an ace, two, three and four. Since the suit doesn't matter, I use this.

I have heard this is just a cyclical stack - but I'd like to confirm this.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-11-25 21:28, jprace wrote:
The deck is setup with a whole bunch of duplicates.
So every card is either an ace, two, three or four. So obviously, you'll need multiple decks to make this up.

I have this deck and a few indifferent cards on top. I show the indifferent cards which persuades people it's a normal deck. The deck is spread on the table. I introduce a gift card or ID, and have them stick it anywhere into the spread. I use the top four cards underneath where they put the gift card, and they will always be a n ace, two, three and four.

Basically, in the routine I do, I need to force an ace, two, three and four. Since the suit doesn't matter, I use this.

I have heard this is just a cyclical stack - but I'd like to confirm this.

If you've got a cyclical stack of N unique cards or values repeated over and over, then yeah, it doesn't matter where you cut, the next N cards you deal off will contain one each of those unique cards or values. It's just math -- I don't think you can say that it's a principle that's been created so much as identified. Plenty of card tricks throughout history have used this principle, but I don't know offhand who the first person might have been to apply it to cards.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 01:14, The Futurist wrote:
If you have any of Martin Gardner's recreational mathematics/magic books you may find a mention of the principle in one of those. Sounds like the sort of thing Gardner would write about.

Great stuff, thanks! Smile