The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Easiest Stack? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
What's the easiest stack to memorize? I'm dyslexic, so memorizing word/number combinations are difficult - to put it mildly.

Are there any easy systems? I've wanted to explore this avenue, but the task always seemed too daunting.

Any suggestions?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The Si Stebbins stack is mathematical, so if you're better with math that might 'suit' you. And the 'Eight Kings' stack only requires the memorization of a single sentence to remember the order. Both of these stacks repeat the same card order four times, so you only have to remember the order of 13 cards, not 52.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Where can I find the Eight Kings setup?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
John,

PMing you with the Eight Kings stack.

--Josh
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
JohnCressman asked:
Quote:
What's the easiest stack to memorize? I'm dyslexic, so memorizing word/number combinations are difficult ...

Word/number combinations (classical mnemonics) are only one of the four common ways to learn a stack. The others are: rote, rules, and algorithm. Hard to know what John might find easiest, but this topic is discussed at some length here.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Words are easier than numbers for dyslexics in general, since your mind will unconsciously descramble a word that doesn't make sense, whereas, a number really never makes sense... 321 makes as much sense as 123 or 231 or 213... At least, that's how my mind works.

Needless to say, I don't do my own taxes... =)
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
The easiest stack is Ace to King...
The problem is not to learn the stack but the possibilities that the stack may give you. Better to learn a good stack (like S Aronson or Tamariz) than one with few possibilities. The main goal is the effect you perform, not the stack !
Smile Smile Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Eight Kings and Si Stebbins are not necessarily the BEST stacks, but they certainly hit that fine balance between 'easy to learn' and 'effective'. Lots of magicians have learned one or the other and never bothered to learn another that is theoretically 'better', simply because they work.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Does anyone here know the Aronson stack please PM me.

Is it difficult to learn.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Magicah123,

Go to http://www.simonaronson.com and click on the "Magicians Only" link on the left side of the page. Once you've entered, follow the "Memorized Deck Magic" link to the free download of "Memories are Made Of This." It gives you the whole Aronson stack, plus information about memorizing it (or any stack) and a lot of terrific information about memorized deck magic in general.

--Josh
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Thanks Josh, for the link. I find it very informative! Also thanks to Simon Aronson for the free pdf download.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jonatan_B
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jonatan_B
In response to John:
Dominic O'Brien, who has memorized 54 decks of cards and is the 8 times world memory champion is also an dyslexic. I would suggest you to look into his books. He is using the same system (DOMINIC system) for both numbers and cards.
MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
I personaly like the JOYAL STACK. Get the book "The six hour memorized deck"
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
I am interested in Joyals Stack. Where is the best (cheapest) place to find this book?
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
I'm having trouble locating the Joyal stack. According to his website, the book is now out of print. Anybody have any ideas where I might be able to pick up a copy?
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
Perserverence in any stack is the key. Richard Osterlind's BCS is an excellent math based system. Much better than Si Stebbins or Eight Kings in my opinion. Spend 20 min. per day while in the car going to a show or work and you will have a system learned faster than you would think. Or if you want to be safer, practice in the shower, when learing a stack the cards are not actually necessary.
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Use your favorite stack but do the shank shuffle to keep the stack intact.go to youtube and look up brick tilley look out, cleveland to see the shuffle.there is a manuscript out there by marlo/racherbaumer that teaches the shuffle.it's not easy and requires some time at the practice table but worth it.