The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Si Stebbins Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
What are some good tricks with this, apart from the choosing a card from behind back, then your telling them what it is?
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
Oh, my goodness!

A st*** can be used for so many things. Merely revealing a chosen card is not the best way to use this deck.

Imagine that you have a deck that allows you to use multiple k** cards. Or...

I would recommend investigating tricks that require the use of multiple cards in a setup. You should master a false sh***** as well, which definitely removes suspicion that you are using a st***.

I recommend you look at books like the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks for ideas. There is quite a bit out there that is moved to another level through the use of tools like Stebbins/Eight Kings.

You might also do a search on "Stebbins" here on the Café. I found multiple entries, and I think that the search function might be a helpful tool for you, if you harness it. Why not?

Cheers!
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well put.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
You'll find also nice suggestion (routine of 5 tricks) in the Learned Pig Project site, lot of ressources for the real magicians !.
Smile Smile Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This is a great ebook for Si Stebbins workers:
http://www.trickshop.com/stebbins.html
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
How about just "name a card, any card?" Or Card at Any Number?
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Sorry, I do use the search for most things, I just forgot this time sorry again.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Take a look at the 'si stebbins secret' in darwin ortiz at the card table for an easy way to shuffle a new deck into stebbins order.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Vol 2 - Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks - "Sly Stebbins" Page 46
The Card Magic of Nick Trost - Automatic Lie Speller - page 155

These are two Si Stebbins stack effects that I like. Anyone care to add some more specific references to the list?
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Practical Mental Magic has some excellent applications of Si Stebbins.
Andre
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 01:23, Kjellstrom wrote:
This is a great ebook for Si Stebbins workers:
http://www.trickshop.com/stebbins.html

I just purchased this and while I haven't digested everything in it there are some excellent ideas consolidated in this relatively inexpensive e-book.

Thanks for the suggestion Kjellstrom!

Anyone else have more specific reference points for SS related material?
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
If a magician know a hundred ways to find a card and one way to reveal it, he knows one trick. If a magician knows one way to find a card and a hundred ways to reveal it, then he knows a hundred tricks...

Stebbins gives you a wonderful way to find the card, now you need to work on the hundred revelations that will make you a magician...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Also...

Ortiz book At the Card Table tells you how to set up this stack from a new deck order.

It requires two Faro shuffles

I usually do this then go into Steve Beam's Sly Stebbins.

It knocks them out!
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-09-03 19:46, Paul Chosse wrote:

Stebbins gives you a wonderful way to find the card, now you need to work on the hundred revelations that will make you a magician...

Best, PSC

Paul,
In my opinion, anything you write should be required reading. Thanks for that nugget Smile
tunafish
View Profile
Regular user
Everett, Wa
137 Posts

Profile of tunafish
In my opinion, the best source for tricks with a stacked deck is Mind Mysteries Vol 2 by Richard Osterlind. If you like working with a stacked deck, and do not have this DVD, then you are missing out.

ETMMM Vol 3 (also by Richard Osterlind) has two excellent tricks using the Si Stebbins stack. They are Encore Card Stab by Al Koran, and Par-Optic Vision by Theo Annemann.

There are some excellent OOTW type effects that require the deck to be set up in red/black/red/black order as well. These are John Kennedy's "Red and Black", and better yet Gordon Bean's "Splitting The Difference" found in the May 2005 issue of Genii magazine.

Matt