The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Mnemonica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
I recently purchased a copy of the book Mnemonica and still memorizing the stack order. Theres a lot of effects in this book and I wanted some recommendations into which effects I should take a look at first.
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
On page 80 there is a section on divinations. Tamariz himself reccomends it quite highly in information section after the trick is described. He reccomends throwing away the book after you read it, and working on that one trick alone. Good luck.

Chris Toomey
dog
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of dog
I'd advise reading the whole book noting which effects appeal to yourself, everyone is different. There are so many good effects in this book. I'm not really into gambling demos or spelling tricks which there are plenty of, but like things like any card at any number or divination effects.

My favorites are Mnemonicosis, Control In Chaos, All of a Kind and Any Card at any Number.
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
Hey! Do you know where can we exchange some ideas about mnemónica. I developed and improved some trick with the Tamariz stack and I want to share them. Thx.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Question: What is the degree of effort one has to put into the Tamariz stack?
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
Quote:
On 2005-05-06 01:53, dog wrote:
I'd advise reading the whole book noting which effects appeal to yourself, everyone is different. There are so many good effects in this book. I'm not really into gambling demos or spelling tricks which there are plenty of, but like things like any card at any number or divination effects.

I agree, one of the greatest things about Mnemonica is its versatility. Personally, I am less interested in the divination aspects and more interested in its gambling uses. Still, for both of us (and everyone in between), there's a lot of material to get from this book and stack.

As for my favorite routine (so far... I only got the book fairly recently), I like a modified 8-handed poker demonstration. Takes a little bottom dealing for the two 'rejected' hands, but it lets me use real spectators for every hand rather than following a fixed presentation. Even if you do the routine exactly as described in the book, it requires very little work, so it can be doable even if you're still nervous about the stack.

HB
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok I have refrained from effect with a memorized deck. Because I have always feared them. How hard is Mnemonica?
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 22:59, paisa23 wrote:
How hard is Mnemonica?

It is not difficult. Tamariz recommends a memorization regimen that takes about 4 hours of concentrated, focused effort. If you use all of his methods it is quite possible to memorize it completely in that time. I memorized it in about a week's worth of commutes, singing the song while driving, and making up my own visualization cards. The effects you can do are pretty amazing, and well worth the time memorizing and getting familiar with the stack.

If you do decide to work with a memdeck stack, this might be of some interest: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4244103
dog
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of dog
I agree, it didn't take much effort for me to memorize the stack, it's definately worth putting in the effort, as some of the effects possible are amazing.
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
I doubt that there is a royal road to memorizing a deck. Learning to remember a card with only little hesitation and making only few mistakes took me a week. Learning to remember every card without hesitation and with no errors in a performance situation took me several months of daily practice. But it was fun!