The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Best false shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
The main one being that Carl's shuffle keeps the deck in complete order without a follow up cut of the cards to bring the deck back into 1-52 order. This isn't always an issue but I do think in some circumstances it is an advantage.
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
Well, you could probably get around the cut by cutting the cards first before Derek's shuffle. It is more to do.

Another benefit of Carl's shuffle is the ability to do a nice version of Triumph with a named card (with the mem deck). The cover card aspect of the Heinstein shuffle is an advantage here.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
So, for those in the know, how would you rank the three shuffles - between Delgaudio, Heinstein, and Miller? Or is it not that straightforward?
My limited understanding was that the Miller was an improvement over the Heinstein, but I don't know where Delgaudio's fits into the mix.

Also, is Benjamin Earl's shuffle similar to these?
monark
View Profile
Regular user
Southern IN
162 Posts

Profile of monark
I think that rank would just be upon preference. One may fit your style a bit better than the other 2. They all are very nice shuffles, and you wouldn't be doing a bad thing by learning all 3. Smile

As far as Benjamin Earl's, it is also a very nice shuffle. It is very similar to Delgaudio's, but still not exactly the same.

Having just learned the Truffle Shuffle (Delgaudio's) I would say that one is probably my favorite, and the one I'm now practicing, followed by the Miller. I still wish it would be published some time though so some finer points could be learned on it...
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
In a Heinstein Shuffle you want to hide or draw attention away from the beginning of the riffle. If you do the dip movement then I suppose people will look at your hands as they rise back up again, which is where the shuffle looks the fairest; at the end. Once it is under way, this shuffle looks very fair.

As I understand it, the Truffle Shuffle is the opposite; it looks it's best at the beginning. Perhaps that is where the great difference lies? So far I do shuffles mostly by myself so I don't really know when people would look more closely at a shuffle. (Not considering misdirection).

In it's beginning they are perhaps drawn to it as it is new and sudden and there are noises and movement, whereas maybe they only fully focus on it after a second when it is finishing?

This has been on my mind a bit when it comes to deciding to myself which of many shuffles I like the most. Is it better to do something sneaky right away and then be done with it or is it better to delay 'the move' until they relax. At the moment I'm leaning towards the stripout varieties that would fall in the latter category.

I have a couple of Truffle questions as I don't know this one yet: Is it a deck killer like I have found the Real Green Shuffle to be? By that I mean that the cards get warped quite badly for someone like me who tend to use the same deck for a month. (The Heinstein isn't so bad as it can be done with a very light touch). I suppose maybe it is too early to tell if this shuffle has just been released.

How is it while seated at a table? The Real Green Shuffle doesn't have any problems there whereas the Heinstein is perhaps best suited for when you are standing.

And then there is the question of the fairest looking weave V, in or out. Well, that one is an old discussion really.

I walked for an hour to get to my Genii dealer, but the shop was closed. Typical. Got some fresh air at least.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I guess nobody from England is reading this thread. Ben Earl's Grey Shuffle* is exceptional, and as far as I can tell nearly identical to the Truffle Shuffle.

You can find Ben's shuffle on his "After Midnight" DVD set, along with excellent card magic, "gambling" magic, and mental magic.

* Yes, it's the Earl Grey Shuffle
monark
View Profile
Regular user
Southern IN
162 Posts

Profile of monark
The DVD set is called "Past Midnight", and yes the Grey shuffle is 'nearly' identical to the Truffle. It isn't exactly the same, but it shares very similar ideas. With practice either shuffle is very deceptive, and they are both exceptional ideas from some great magic minds...
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Truffle shuffle is good, but so is Earl shuffle, Heinstein shuffle and most shuffles that use the same princible. If you allready do Heinstein or Earl, there really isn't any reason to switch to truffle. However if wont take much time to learn it as well, cos the technique is very similar.

To my eyes the most deceptive of the three is still Earl one. Heinstein is extremly deceptive when done in stand up and people are looking down or aren't paying close attention on the deck when you do the separate move, but it isn't nearly as bug problem as people try to make it. They just havent practised it enough. The problem with Truffle in my opinion is that the separating happens right infront of spectators eyes. I saw the demo before reading the description in genii and I spotted "the move" immediately. I think its only magicians who might care if the supposed strip out happens after or while the cascade.

Just my thoughts.
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
For those who haven't seen the truffle shuffle in action.

http://store.dananddave.com/truffle-shuffle.html

I think its the best one out there.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Of course, the original Truffle Shuffle is a classic you may remember from the '80s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5whaRkuipU

I can do that.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
I feel like I'm tipping something here, but...I think the pushthrough is an extremely convincing, easy-to-learn false table shuffle. I learned this from Simon Lovell. I don't find the Zarrow compares. I'm not sure why the pushthrough isn't more popular.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Faro's (8 of them, perfectly) from what I've heard are the best to maintain the order of any kind of stacked deck. Daryl get's into some simple ones on his 'Encylopedia of Card Sleights' DVD (believe it is 1 or 2) that are simple, but effective.
goochman
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goochman
I'm thinking about buying Zarrow's DVD to learn his shuffle. I saw another DVD by Brad Burt that teaches the Zarrow shuffle. Could anybody recommend either of these or another DVD?
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
I've seen Brad's video on the classic pass. It's very complete and he goes over all of the fine points and covers for the move. The Zarrow also requires complete knowledge of many fine points to be executed effectively. I have no doubt that Brad would be able to teach this move well.

That being said, Zarrow invented this shuffle and I assume that he would be the best teacher. Many others at the Café say that it's the best resource for learning the move by video.

Gary Plants also provides a FANTASTIC booklet which covers all of the details of the handling of this move. I haven't seen the videos, but I can't think of anything that this booklet has left out. It's clear, detailed, and talks about all of the right and wrong ways to approach the Zarrow Shuffle.

Just my 2 cents.

-Miles
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Thanks Miles.....

Gary Plants
goochman
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goochman
Miles,

Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about Gary's booklet the past couple of days. The reason I asked about a DVD is because I bought a couple of books including Erdnase and found them difficult to follow. A dvd I bought by Ian Kendall on seconds and bottoms dealing was real easy to follow.

Larry
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
The sleight of the century- Zarrow shuffle.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
For table work, nothing could beat the tried and tested false-shuffle giants: The Push-Through and the Zarrow. Both very deceptive, but are easy to execute improperly.

For stand-up work, Derek Delgaudio's Truffle Shuffle is one of the best there is. Guy Hollingworth's False Shuffle is great, too. (But personally, I recommend and prefer Truffle Shuffle.)

It boils down to which you think is appropriate for you, really.
goochman
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goochman
Thanks for the info Alel.

Larry
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
WOW! I had not heard of the Truffle Shuffle (Outside of The Goonies), but this looks awesome! It also looks strikingly similar to the Real Green Shuffle. Almost identical in fact. Does anyone know if it's actually different in method?