The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Clocking a Deck, The Epitome Location, Etc. (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
IMPORTENT NOTICE!

The price of the book has risen to 10 USD as the contents have increased.
You can buy the book at Lybrary.com and get all updates there.
https://www.lybrary.com/gaukelwerk-with-cards-p-923855.html

Early birds will further get their updates directly from me.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
As a buyer at Lybrary.com, you can always renew your ebook-version on the digital shelf if there is an updated version available.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, hcs wrote:
Revisited Version 1.02 is out.

BTW: Clocking a unknown deck with several missing cards (even five cards) is possible in less then one second. See my new chapter "clues for professionals"!

Martin Eisele, FISM World Close-up Champion 2006 from Germany, permitted me to include the guarded pro secret about the existence of his app.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Just ordered from Lybrary.com. This is awesome! Makes it way faster for me and I've only been playing with it for about 20 minutes. I originally learned it from Loraynes write up which is great as well.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, hcs wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, hcs wrote:
Revisited Version 1.02 is out.

BTW: Clocking a unknown deck with several missing cards (even five cards) is possible in less then one second. See my new chapter "clues for professionals"!

Martin Eisele, FISM World Close-up Champion 2006 from Germany, permitted me to include the guarded pro secret about the existence of his app.

I don't think Martin's making a secret of it as he's selling the app. Here's a multi-page thread about it.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Possible in less than one second?! No way, Ray - is that legit, obviously. I'm talking about running through a deck and RWALLY knowing which five cards are missing.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Yes, it's possible but it's not a human doing it, but an iPhone application as explained in the link I posted above.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
Best secrets are kept in public. The app was intended for severe mem deck people. Not all features are public.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
I noticed the small error in the Wasshuber method. Add 5 to the total. I will correct it in the next version.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, hcs wrote:
Best secrets are kept in public. The app was intended for severe mem deck people. Not all features are public.

Sorry for digressing, but ...

As Martin posted in Latest and Greatest in 2017 and is still selling his application, it's a fair bet that he's trying to make it as public as possible.

Anyway, I believe that the app is much more than that. It actually relieves the performer from knowing any stack or from doing any men work for that matter, as it does all by itself. For example here's Shuffle Bored from a spectator-shuffled deck. Amazing.

. .
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
The "missing card" stunt by Martin Eisele.

Click here to view/download attached file.
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
Hello,

I have seen that there were some questions regarding Vision. It is right, I made that public to be used by other magicians.

Although it could be seen as a replacement to learning a stack it is way more than that. Finding the missing card(s) is just the simplest and most basic application. The real power of Vision becomes visible when some extra computational powers are added, as you have seen with the Shuffle-Bored Example from above.

Also dealing any poker hand called for is a perfect example (for Pit Hartling's 'The Pokerformulas'). You can deal any poker hand called for from a shuffled deck!
You can do way more than you could do with a memdeck! I have several applications and ideas for that.

The most concerns other magicians have, are about using the iPhone in the performance. And I can assure you, that this is no issue at all, since I have several ways how to integrate it with no suspicion at all! Also the 'capture' is done very quickly (in a fraction of a second) and you don't even have to press anything on the phone, since the iPhone is in video mode and the analysis is done from the video stream of the camera. Still for me it is amazing how quickly it captures. It has to be just held quickly above the spread and that's it.

Here you get a good impression about its power:

I have built in various ways, on how you can interact with the iPhone. By entering info, swiping them with a remote or even by voice recognition. The output can be peeked on the iPhone, spoken to your in-ear piece or can be peeked on an external device like the PeekSmith. As mentioned above, the capture itself is very cool, but it is the starting point for more complex things, which wouldn't be possible, with a memdeck or any other technique.

I also use this in a hidden context, so it is not visible to the spectators. They don't have the feeling, that I have a magic app which does the work. The iPhone is always used in a logical context (which makes sense and is not suspicious). By adding other layers on top, real miracles can be achieved ‐ even if spectators would assume computer vision (which nobody did so far).

If you have any questions, please le me know, I'm more than happy to answer!

All details about the app and its applications and my ideas can be found here:
https://www.vision-tricks.com/secret

Best regards
Martin
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, Martin_Eisele wrote:

If you have any questions, please le me know, I'm more than happy to answer!

All details about the app and its applications and my ideas can be found here:
https://www.vision-tricks.com/secret

I'm a developer and I think that merging magic and technology in this way is super cool!

Do you plan an Android version?

Android is much more flexible and you can use the camera even when the screen is apparently turned off.
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
Quote:
Do you plan an Android version?

Not decided yet, iOS was/is so much work for me as a single developer...

But the main code is written in Cpp, so I think that it could be "easily" used in Android. But besides the main functionality there are so many other things (UI, Settings, ...). I don't know much about Android, so it would be a complete new field/start (with man pitfalls) for me. From what I heared it is not so "protected" as iOS, so software gets pirated easily and very often...
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
Quote:
Android is much more flexible and you can use the camera even when the screen is apparently turned off.

I have this feature already built into the iOS version:
A fake homescreen (or calculator) can be shown
a blank (dark) screen can be shown
or it can be used as a real camera (to take a picture of the spectator, his hand, ...)
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
I just updated the ebook. It is now version 1.04.
Buyers can download the revisited book everytime on the digital shelf at Lybrary.com.
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2020, hcs wrote:
I just updated the ebook. It is now version 1.04.
Buyers can download the revisited book everytime on the digital shelf at Lybrary.com.

Thank you, I really appreciate how you take care of updating your ebook.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
633 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
So I was introduced to clocking watching Sal Piacente's At The Table lecture where he deals four separate piles (4 cards, 7 cards, 11 cards, and the remaining deck) and does a memory routine where he memorizes each pile and after a card is removed from each packet he is able to call out the value of each card. It is a fantastic routine, and a very good introduction into clocking as he simplifies the process with the number of cards in each pile. One downside could be that all of the court cards are counted as being worth 10 (like in Blackjack), but the simplicity of it far outweighs this weakness and I give it my biggest recommendation to anyone who may be interested in learning how to clock because it lets you practice with small packets.

I've now started to do more research into the subject and I'm trying to further develop skills in this area and purchased Gaukelwerk with Cards. Trying to learn the Solka method, and Dr. Hans-Christian Solka mentions that he only counts one color. I am not sure the reason for this. I can understand the case if you are doing an effect and you are able to narrow down the selection by one of the two colors to help with the effect but I am not sure the reason for it being stated in the ebook. I'm assuming you are using a force with the spectator to help define the clocking process down to one color but if I am missing something please let me know.

I'm going to start practicing the Solka method, it will be a bit of a learning curve as the assigned values are so different to what I am used to but I think it will help streamline the process after I become more comfortable.

I've added some references below that I have used when researching the subject. This will help when I revisit in the future but also may help others with possible resources and effects.

Sal Piacente's At The Table lecture (1:44:51 time stamp)
Harry Lorayne's Epitome Location - The Classic Collection pg. 351
Roberto Giobbi - Ask Roberto #48
Patrick Redford's Card Counter - Applesause pg. 101
Paul Cummin's Tap a Lack - MAGIC Magazine - July 2005, pg. 96
Paul Vigil's Diplopia - MAGIC Magazine - November 2011, pg. 66
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2020, Robert P. wrote:
Sal Piacente's At The Table lecture (1:44:51 time stamp)
Harry Lorayne's Epitome Location - The Classic Collection pg. 351
Roberto Giobbi - Ask Roberto #48
Patrick Redford's Card Counter - Applesause pg. 101
Paul Cummin's Tap a Lack - MAGIC Magazine - July 2005, pg. 96
Paul Vigil's Diplopia - MAGIC Magazine - November 2011, pg. 66

Very useful, thank you for sharing your notes.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
598 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Might be interested in an Android version.