The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Greatest effect with a memorized deck (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I would like to learn a stack to jazz around with its just the pinky counting I never got the hang of.
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
The Aronson stack is such a powerful weapon. Well worth the effort to learn it.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
882 Posts

Profile of glowball
Greatest Effect - here is one I have seen:
Let's say you (Mag2) and a magic buddy (Mag1) are at the Waffle House before the magic club meeting and the waiter wants to see a trick. If you (Mag2) have a MD you can secretly give your MD to Mag1. Mag1 does NOT know the MD and is the performer. Mag2 (the shill) DOES know the MD and is pretending to be a casual spectator. Mag1 shows the deck is mixed and then turns it FD and asks the waiter to name any card. Then Mag1 asks another "spectator" (Mag2) to name any number from 1 to 52. You get the idea. Mag1 can then reverse it by asking the waiter to name any number and Mag2 to name any card. My one complaint is that my Mag1 friend is insistant on just touching the deck with his index finger (like it is a magic wand) and then deal to the number, wah la. I belive the better way is for the Mag1 to do a few FC's and then deal to the number.

The effect is somewhat different when no FC's vs using FC's.
The first way (no FC's) implies "He is doing a magic trick". The second way implies "He is a super card tech that can quicky get any card in the deck". The second way (using FC's) does much to erase the possibility of a stooge and the effect is just as strong.

The waiter may know you and your buddy(s) are magicians so it is not a big deal that Mag1 asks Mag2 to name a number because there probably won't be a neutral spectator handy. But Mag2 (you) have to act the part saying things like "well, let's see, oh, number 17". And later "I don't know how he does that"!

The irony is that the Mag that does NOT know the MD is the super star!

I've seen this fool other magicians.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And if you want to be the hero as you know your stack but your buddy doesn't you should read Simon Aronson's "The Aronson Approach"... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
Does anyone know if the Lennart Green effect where he pulls the cards out in order blindfolded uses an ordered deck, or some other method of retrieval?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2013, JanForster wrote:
And if you want to be the hero as you know your stack but your buddy doesn't you should read Simon Aronson's "The Aronson Approach"... Smile Jan

Hi, Jan.

It's been a while since we last talked. I hope that you had a great Christmas season and that you will have a happy and prosperous new year.

I was killing some time on the Café and, in a serendipitous moment, I came across your above post. I'm intrigued. By those comments, are you suggesting the the entire "The Aronson Approach"? Or, more likely, are you suggesting that there is a great "you be the hero" effect in that book? I love all of Simon's books but I must confess that, without pulling out "The Aronson Approach", I'm not certain of the effect(s) of which you are referring. This suggests that it is time to once again pull out Simon's books and give myself a refresher course in all. (grin)

Best regards,

Mike Sturgeon
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Asi Wind's AACAAN.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
You should all try out Darwin Ortiz super strong mem-deck effect: Test Your Luck, page 255, from his latest book: Lessons in Card Mastery (2012).

Book: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......mastery/
Download a video: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ed-deck/

I have done this effect 100s of times since I bought the book and I love the see and hear that people freak out almost every time.
The routine is very well-designed. Almost impossible to backtrack how its done.

Effect:
A spectator names any card. She then inserts a random card anywhere into the deck.
In the process, she herself locates the card that she had named.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Another great mem-deck effect I have been doing many years: Shuffle Tracking by Simon Aronson.
http://www.simonaronson.com/volume3.html
This routine is great, you start with an "ordinary" deck of cards that the spectator shuffles.
And, in the routine you bring in a mem-deck in a very clever way...an "invisible" and very easy deck switch.
If you perform for sceptical people (hecklers & wise guys) - this routine will transform sceptical people to ordinary laymen, sure.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2016, Kjellstrom wrote:
Another great mem-deck effect I have been doing many years: Shuffle Tracking by Simon Aronson.
http://www.simonaronson.com/volume3.html
This routine is great, you start with an "ordinary" deck of cards that the spectator shuffles.
And, in the routine you bring in a mem-deck in a very clever way...an "invisible" and very easy deck switch.
If you perform for sceptical people (hecklers & wise guys) - this routine will transform sceptical people to ordinary laymen, sure.

I think this is an ideal situation for a marked deck in order to allow for a completely hands off identification of the selection. Some might deem it risky, lest an overly observant spectator inspect the deck too closely while shuffling, but I think the marks on the UMD or Phoenix MDs, which I prefer over the Lesley or a handmarked deck, scarcely jump out to the casual observer, so the bafflement factor makes it worth it. Think of it--the spectator has a completely free selection, throughly loses it in the deck, and then drops the deck himself into the magician's pocket or hat or whatever one uses. The magician then fishes out the card by feel alone, and in the process gets into play an unmarked (though stacked) deck that can tolerate scrupulous examination. Moreover, the audience thinks that the stacked ringer is the same hopelessly shuffled deck that went into the pocket or hat in the first place, making memdeck effects to come even more baffling! Shuffle Tracking is a beautiful effect. Simon used to include it in an earlier edition of the free "Memories are Made of This," but now it is to be found in Art Decko. A really great opening for any memdeck set of effects.

Les
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Past, Present, Future with the wallet index finale.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1181 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@J Christensen

Where can I find it? Thanks.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
In "Simply Simon". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On May 13, 2005, 10cardsdown wrote:
In my opinion, the "GREATEST" effect is the Any Card, Any Number. With the proper framework and presentation, it's a stunner. I get about 8 minutes out of this and use it as a closer in my stand up routine. I can't top it and it leaves the spectators stymied. Smile

Do you do a "no touch" ACAAN?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, J Christensen wrote:
Past, Present, Future with the wallet index finale.

I agree, the best one.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Having the magical ability to spell to absolutely any card is pretty good~ on its own, or as an extra astonishment after ACAAN.
~ not many do it!
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I'm learning 'Billion Dollar Brain' from Darwin Ortiz's Lessons in Card Mastery. When I read it, I was blown away by the elegant method. Same is true for the direct 'Three-Card Location' by Steve Ehlers, from Alan Ackerman's Las Vegas Kardma.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have added something extra to Simon Aronsons super strong Invisible Card routine. I finish with Kennedy Mystery Box, a super ending. If yo have the box, try this out. When the vanished card shows up in the box, the spectators will freak out.
baobow
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of baobow
Most memorable memorised deck effect?
The one your audience doesn't forget and members most :p

Challenge mind reading -waterline in my case
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts