The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Best false shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
For a simple one check out Dan Harlan's on the leg shuffle.
Has to be the EZiest to do and it looks and SOUNDS legit.
Another thought is have a short card on top and do the charlier shuffle/mix where cards on top of one half of deck go on bottom of other half , cut one and TADDAH.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I've always relied on the Zarrow, but I'm learning the Push through now, which I have to say, is certainly fairer looking
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Reason not to do green's shuffle - is causes slight bend in the card which can make faroing harder
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
The false overhand shuffle from Genii magazine mentioned in an earlier post is very deceptive and not too hard to learn. Tamariz's false overhand shuffle from Mnemonica works very well and is easier. If I'm first bringing out a stacked deck and want to retain the full stack, I just do two perfect faros (after having done 6 before starting) to get back to original stack order and then a false cut.
icuryy
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 22:11, tedski wrote:
I know this thread is a little old, but how about Dan Garrett's underhanded overhand shuffle. It might not fool a card guy/gambler - but works very well for laymen.

That's a variation on the G.W. Hunter shuffle.
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
I think the best illusion of shuffling is achieved by mixing different false shuffles and cuts together, and paying no attention to your shuffling. Since I didn't notice anyone mentioning the Mead/Kennedy false overhand shuffle from Michael Close's "Closely Guarded Secrets" I'll throw it into the mix as a very deceptive full deck control.

SWN
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
I have been looking for a good false shuffle lately as well and ran across this one:
http://www.stevebeam.com/video/Underhand.mpg

Does this one look similar to the other underhand overhand shuffles mentioned here?
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
The best in the hands false overhand shuffle I've ever seen if from an old book called Feature Magic For Mentalists by Will Dexter. I didn't get anything else from the book but the shuffle is Well worth checking out.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop is full of great stuff.
Aim To Amaze
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
If I have a table I like the push thru or the Zarrow, using Marlo's Shank Shuffle idea. But if you are standing then I use a shuffle that was in one of Harry Lorayne's books which I believe had a name something like the riffle diffle shuffle. Unfortunately, I don't remember which book. But the shuffle is best done on your leg so the spectator only sees the top of the deck. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else use but if one does it one finds that it really gets the work done.

Gil Scott
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
The best false shuffle is the one you can do and convinces the audience that the cards are shuffled. The great looking false shuffle performed by Alan Ackerman, Gary Plant, Mike Close, etc. look great in their hands, but in mine, they don't look so convincing. I am working on the Heinstein shuffle and the overhand shuffle. My friend, Dennis Loomis is right, the Haymow shuffle is a pretty good shuffle.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Lapping
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lapping
For table-situations, BJ Bueno's shuffle is superb. For the more relaxed in the hands approach, I find Guy Hollingworth's to be a rather nice one.

Good luck in finding your search. Smile

Jordan
Ken Abbott
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Abbott
For the table, a Zarrow shuffle. In the hands, a simple jog shuffle or the Hollingworth riffle shuffle.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
One more that hasn't been mentioned in the thread, (Unless I overlooked it.) is John Cornelius' Oh Calcutta Shuffle. It's an in the hands false Hindu Shuffle. I agree that L. Green's Rosetta Shuffle is very deceptive, and it's not that difficult to do. It is, rather quirky, looking like no other shuffle on earth. But, with some good patter, it is convincing.

I like the Heinstein Shuffle. I have the DVD and it looks very good, but I saw Karl Hein do it at a convention live, and it was OUTSTANDING. One of the best things about the Heinstein shuffle is the sound. It has the sound of an in the hands riffle followed by the usual bridge or cascade. This is very disarming.

Remember this: the most important thing is your attitude. If you can do the shuffle without looking at it, and while talking to the audience, they won't pay much attention to it because you're not. In the new book "Tangled Web" Eric Mead suggests, as did someone else earlier in the thread that using a variety of false shuffles and cuts is most convincing. I think that's right, although some magic authors have said that all of your shuffles should look alike. While it's true that lay people generally only know and use one shuffle, we're considered differently. The audience knows we work with cards a lot, and knowing how to do a variety of shuffles is probably fine for magicians. I've used the Haymow for years, but I'm actively working on adding more to my repertoire, including the ones I've mentioned here. (Heinstein, Rosetta, and Oh Calcutta.) I'm also working on a couple of new false cuts, including Lennert Green's Bricklayer and Optical Cuts, Alexander de Cova's Gold Dust Cut, and a couple more.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Nostrings: No one wants to tell you about them 'cause they want to keep 'em to themselves! Check out my (in hand) Riffle-Diffle Shuffle and (on table) Super Riffle-Diffle Shuffle. Both in RIM SHOTS - good luck finding a copy. And, just before these two shuffles is an item called A Red-Black Shuffle. Toward the end of that item is a shuffle that gamgler's call Old Reliable, for the entire deck. Check 'em out. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
The only false shuffle that I feel comfortable with is when I am using S*St*****s
stacked deck. It looks like an overhand shuffle but is actually just a series of overhand cuts. I never look at the cards and I never stop talking. Some may call it the poor man's version of finger flinging but to a guy with all thumbs it works for me. I've read his books and watched his tapes. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the best teacher, bar none. However, as much as I would love to have his skills I would never amount to more than a row of pins compared to Harry Lorayne. His enthusiam is contagious so do not ignore any source of his work.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
For in the hands work check out MOSES from Justin Hanes' Mystery Egineering.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
I can't believe no one has mentioned Lennart Green's Green Shuffle.

It's in one of vol. 4-6.

I'd been idly practising it every no and then for a while. Never infront of a mirror. I was convinced that it was no where near good enough to perform. But recently performed it several times in different gambling effects. At the end of the effect I asked several of the spectators (friends and relatives) if they were happy the shuffling had been fair. They were astounded to learn that they had been deceived.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The key to a false shuffle is a fluent motion of the hand and the fact that the false shuffle resembles YOUR normal shuffle.
Cards never lie
uri
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of uri
"The only false shuffle that I feel comfortable with is when I am using S*St*****s
stacked deck. It looks like an overhand shuffle but is actually just a series of overhand cuts. I never look at the cards and I never stop talking. Some may call it the poor man's version of finger flinging but to a guy with all thumbs it works for me."

Actually, I belive that's the one Tamariz uses quite often.
That and his cascade shuffle.