The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Easy memorized deck tricks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Ungimmicked version of the invisible deck. My method (I hope it isn't marketed)

Prep: Flip one card face down in a face up deck and REMEMBER it. Put it in the case and wait to perform it.

Method w/o patter: Take out the deck and riffle through it fast enough so they won't see a difference( if in the middle) spread (if the card is on the bottom) and cut the cards (if it's on bottom). Put it back in the case and have the spec hold the deck. Now all you have to do is force the card. This is how......

Say the card is the 4 of spades.

You know the 4 suits? Yes, pick 2 of them. Hearts and Clubs. Ok that leaves the diamonds and spades. Pick one of them. Spades. In the deck there are 3 special cards....a 2,4, and a 10. Pick one.....10 ok that leaves the 2 and 4. 4. Ok lets recap....you pick 1 of the 4 suits and 1 of 3 numbers. You had a free choice and you openly picked the 4 of spades. yes. Just take a guess where your card is. In the middle. Would you believe me if I told you that you could mentally flip your card over while it was in your hands. No. Neither would I lol. Well just spread through them and see if it worked. They see a face down card and voila a VERY sneaky and hard impact trick.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I also think the The Lusthaus Card System is a very easy way to memorize a deck of Cards. I use that deck when I need to use a force deck.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I should mention that there's a detailed essay on "Full-Deck Stacks" at The Deceptionary Website (look in the "information" section). It touches on several of the issues that have been mentioned here. And it's free.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's another very easy, and effective, memorized deck trick:

“Sport of Memorization, The” - A spectator selects a sports card, and then a playing card. The playing card has the signature of the selected player on the back., “MAGIC” - March 2001, Stan Allen (Trick by Joshua Jay)
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks All, for your replies.

Incidentally, I am using my own stack. I built it using Joyal ideas, and incorporated tricks I liked. I think one gets the best of both worlds this way-- easy to memorize, and built in tricks of your choosing.

Frank
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
djvirtualreality,
Thanks for taking the time to write/share your method for the ID effect. I respect people that go an extra mile for others.
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
If you enjoy being fooled or fooling your magician friends, it's better to come up with your own stack order. As soon as I see the curse of Scotland on the face of a pack, I get suspicious.

AW
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
I'll take the bait. What is the "curse of Scotland"? If it's something to do with the Nine of Diamonds, I understand the rest of the message -- but please inform us uninformed.

Incidently, I'm sure many are aware, but just in case you're not, if you are interested in exploring stacked deck magic, check out my free software StackView at http://www.stackview.com.

Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Cheers Nick, I'll check it out.

And your guess was correct, it is indeed the nine of diamonds.

best
Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Yet another great, easy memorized deck trick that work independent of any stack:

“Children’s Yard Sale, The” - The performer shows a box of cards purchased from a kid’s yard sale. A spectator names a card. The performer turns the case over to show a price. The performer counts down to the number given by the price, and the named card is found there, “Wise Guy”, Harry Anderson
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Accually I didn't even think of the Invisible deck. I do Mike Close's version which I think works great. I use the Aronson Stack becuase it has the poker demo in it. I'm going to starting to work on a full poker demo using the Aronson poker deal. I also think that a spectator just naming a card and locating it is a great effect. I usually do a named card triumph routine when starting out. Then I go into Allan Ackerman's Opener or Simon Aronson's Everybody's Lazy. My favorite memorized deck trick is Everybody's Lazy becuase the performer doesn't even touch the cards and you can locate all 3 selected cards, though there is a little math involved.
sashain
View Profile
New user
Steve Shain
80 Posts

Profile of sashain
Re "The Curse of Scotland", here is a link to the multitude of explanations for that name for the nine of diamonds. Take your pick.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/playing-cards/curse.html

Steve
Steve Shain
Houston, Texas