The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Phoenix Parlour Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just picked up 2 (one red one blue) of these decks and I have got to say, I am impressed. Not as big and cumbersome as a jumbo deck, you can actually still use SOH with these. 1/2" longer and 1/2" wider than poker size. Faces are way better than an ordinary jumbo face deck. Cards are extremely visible from a distance. I had my wife hold a spread of poker cards in one hand and Parlour cards in the other - I couldn't believe the difference. I don't think they will replace the jumbo deck for a large stage effect but I cant see using anything else for smaller venues. I may even try busting them out with a larger close up crowd. They have all the goodies of a regular Phoenix deck (3 different one way identifiers) and are marked to boot. The Ted Lesley style markings blend very nicely into the Phoenix design.

Is anyone else using these decks and what type effects are you doing? I got the 2 colors for Red Hot Mama. I also do effects like Twisting the Aces, Twins, different transpo's...

I will probably get some gaffs too like blank face for Alex Elmsly's 4 card trick.

Love these for bigger crowds, and as a side note - Card-Shark mentioned in another thread that mini decks may be on their way too since Bicycle quit producing theirs. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Yes - I will use them. I already use bigger cards but with mediocre quality. That was okay for me because that did not restrict any trick yet. And for a lot of card tricks I use giant cards. I even perform Three card Monarch...

But the parlour deck is much more visible. I checked that at a photo session. The graphic designer who is going to design my website said the parlour deck is:
- clearly visible even from 5 meters distance
- the graphic design is better
- does not look silly or phoney

I checked the photos and must admit he is right. The visibilty is stunning, now cards have a clear optical impact. Therefore I will use the parlour deck in parlour situations. Smaller cards are only good for close up performances now.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
I started using them for larger crowds/rooms. Much easier to see.
I made an ID with them also.
Tougher to palm and I noticed when I palm them they are easy to bend. I believe they are a little thinner than regular Bikes.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Believe it or not, I'm using Phoenix Parlour deck for "Tiny Plunger"...

Just love the size difference and I'm impressed that it actually picks up the whole Deck! (plus since they're marked, able to do that joke phase of the main routine)

Which in turn makes it great for my stand up shows.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Sounds awesome. Yes, when I saw Garret performing the Tiny Plunger for me, I was thinking how cool it would be if it would work with the Parlour Deck as well. If you ever have a chance to film your performance, I would love to see it...
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just got a couple and I love them. Except for maybe palming and black-belt moves like a DPS or a relatively undetectable pass (I am mostly a Hermann guy myself) with my slender hands, most bread-and-butter SOH is doable for me--every shuffle I use like the Zarrow, Aronson Stripout, Truffle, and Mead/Kennedy, standard cuts false and genuine, controls like the Convincing and certain variants, etc. I can see them being superb for work in a larger room using stacks and hands-off tricks where the specs do most of the cutting and shuffling. I am also wondering if anyone has thought of commissioning Marty Grams to make his rising card gimmick in this format.

And, most of all, there is one more thing to recommend the decks--this is about the cheapest way to get access to the superb Phoenix marking system, as the Parlour decks are much cheaper than the regular size MDs except when you get the latter in bulk.

I think I will be ordering some more Smile

Les