The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Alterenative!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
393 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Looking for alternative setups for Invisible deck.....I'm thinking same cards backed with same cards in ChaHSeD order
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
757 Posts

Profile of karnak
I’ve been experimenting with this myself very recently, looking for ways to simplify the whole Invisible Deck setup and process (so I don’t have to think on my feet about it too much).

I guess one of the very easiest ways would be to just match back-to-back pairs by suit: spades with clubs, hearts with diamonds (while value remains identical; a 6 is a 6 for both back-to-back cards in a pair). So if spectator names 6 of clubs, you just look for 6 of spades, and produce the face-down card from behind it. Tradeoff is when you spread the cards, only two different suits will be visible (either all spades and hearts, or all clubs and diamonds, or some similar two-suits-only variant).

Almost as easy would instead be to just match back-to-back pairs by number: evens with odds (while color remains identical). So if spectator names 6 of clubs, you just look for 5 of clubs (or 7 of clubs, depending on how you want to set up the odd/even correspondence), and produce the face-down card from behind it. Tradeoff is when you spread the cards, they’ll either be all even or all odd (depending on which side of the deck is up).

Either way, if done quickly, many spectators may never notice that the spread deck is all even, all odd, or all only two suits. But some sharp-eyed spectators might notice such a quirky discrepancy, and get a bit suspicious, even if they don’t fully understand what it might mean.

So I’ve adopted a third approach, which is only slightly more complicated but makes for a better-mixed spread.

Values remain the same (a 6 is a 6 for both back-to-back cards in a pair), but blacks and reds are paired back-to-back together: spades are paired with hearts, and clubs with diamonds. So if spectator names 6 of spades, you just look for 6 of hearts, and produce the face-down card from behind it.

ALSO: the deck is arranged so that on one side all black cards (spades and clubs) are odd, while all red cards (hearts and diamonds) are even — and vice versa on the other side. This way, a spread will show a good mix of both odd and even values, as well as a good mix of all four suits (instead of only two).

That took a lot to explain, but it’s actually much simpler than the standard method. (No calculating to 13, etc.)

I coincidentally just worked all of this out last night myself, so it’s all new to me, as well. I’d be grateful for any comments or insights from more experienced users of this deck, who’ve also adopted alternative arrangements.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Let's work on this together. I'm not a card guy but I did something like this too .. KISS method for me. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
There is a way that requires no memory work. Just hold the deck out in front of you at face level with the appropriate side facing the audience. As you fan / spread the deck, you can actually see the target card facing you and you can just break it free as you spread and adjust the card fan. Lift it up out the deck halfway and then leave it there for a few seconds to build suspense. Pull it out and turn it around slowly. After the applause, replace it in its original spot and close up the cards.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 13, 2024, DelMagic wrote:
There is a way that requires no memory work. Just hold the deck out in front of you at face level with the appropriate side facing the audience. As you fan / spread the deck, you can actually see the target card facing you and you can just break it free as you spread and adjust the card fan. Lift it up out the deck halfway and then leave it there for a few seconds to build suspense. Pull it out and turn it around slowly. After the applause, replace it in its original spot and close up the cards.

This is exactly how it was presented to me the first time I purchased one!!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
If you happen to already know a memorised stack, this can be used as the basis for setting up an ID.