The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Fitting the Invisible Deck into a routine. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Spades_
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Spades_
Do you people have any bright ideas on fitting an invisible deck, into a routine, so that it flows.. ? Love to hear from you guys soon.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Ive recently started to use it with my vanishing deck. after vanishing my deck, I m left with the black plastic case. I "take the cards out of the box," pretend to shuffle them and give them to a spector and carry on with the routine. the invisble deck gives me good reason to put the black plastic shell into my pocket and remove the real deck.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Flec, it's a good idea!

Don't put the case in your pocket. Switch the case and produce the real deck from it and proceed to reveal the reversed card.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
As soon as I posted above, I start to think it is better not to use case switch. Maybe taking out the cased Invisible Deck is enough.
proliv
View Profile
New user
Portugal
36 Posts

Profile of proliv
Use the ID trick.
You "give" the invisible deck to a spectator to choose a card an name it.
Then you pick your deck and ask to put the choosen invisible card bakwards in your deck. Aftar that you fan the theck and there is the choosed card!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Should this have been asked in the beginner section?
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
Darwin Ortiz has a nice presentation, he uses a stacked deck and gets the audience member to reverse a card in that, then shows the ID deck before the spectator shows their card.

If you are looking for a different take you could also check out Eugene Berger's Devils Deck from Practical Experience of Magic.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
Bill Malone has a great routine in one of "On the Loose" dvds. I'm not home right now so I can't check which one. It's called "Standing ovation Invisible deck."
-Chris
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 08:27, Ember wrote:
Darwin Ortiz has a nice presentation, he uses a stacked deck and gets the audience member to reverse a card in that, then shows the ID deck before the spectator shows their card.

If you want to do this effect, you don't have to be an Memorized Stack expert. Just use Marked Deck or Si Stebbins.

BTW, If you do so, the effect becomes very different from Invisible Deck. Which do you prefer?

Hideo Kato
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Check out Aronson's Invisible Card routine. It has a very similar feel to the ID but uses a normal deck in Mem order. It also keeps the order so you can continue with more mem stuff. Excellent routine.

Mike
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
You could get a dvd made by Rick De Castro I think. It was all about the invisible deck with about 10 different routines where fitting the invisible deck, and I must say that some of them where very very good.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 10:26, Mike Powers wrote:
Check out Aronson's Invisible Card routine. It has a very similar feel to the ID but uses a normal deck in Mem order. It also keeps the order so you can continue with more mem stuff. Excellent routine.

Mike

Which book is that in ?
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Also want to contribute, that a good ID effect probably should not be fit "into" a magic routine, but should be a last effect. There is nothing that can be as powerful as this effect done right (not the silly "invisible deck" presentation that comes with the deck). Once you have people screaming, or in tears, or asking you where you get your powers from, it's kind of hard to go on to anything else. In fact, since the questions you will be asked after your ID effect are fairly unanswerable, it's nice to do this last so you can move on and leave them with the questions.

Another opinion: DON'T do this effect for everyone, just because you can. Good magicians present this effect as a somewhat fragile and risky experiment, and as such, it can't be done under any circumstances. It's fun to see people rush to quiet everyone else down, or change the lighting for you, or whatever else you say you need. MAKE SURE THEY ALL TURN OFF THEIR CELL PHONES !! If they're not willing to do that, they are not in the right frame of mind to see a trick of this magnitude. Show them ambitious card instead.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Chickens and Beandip
View Profile
New user
Canada
83 Posts

Profile of Chickens and Beandip
YOu could also use it as a closer, or more of an encore. when you put your cards away (pocket), some people ask for another trick. I think that is pretty self explanitory. Not the greatest way but it is a very simple switch and not many people would think a switch had just ocuured.

late.
B)
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Here's a thought - if someone's cell phone rings, have the person who answers it ask the person at the other end to name a card. Then use ID to show that it's the one you had predicted.. You can even involve people who aren't physically present. Could be fun..

Also, the Aronson item is in his new book "Try The Impossible" p. 175.

Mike
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
Derren brown used the I.D. as an out if one of his effects missed, to great effect
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.