The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Card To Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
393 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Okay, heres the deal, sort of,,,I would prefer a no palm card to wallet with a wallet that can reasonably be an everyday wallet?

Now 2 problems.... if I get dozens of responses, I also get dozens of answers of which is the "best" wallet...for them anyway....

Problem 2, as primarily an amateur (I get a few paid gigs now and then)I thonk card to wallet is very very strong, but the problem is, I don't have 50-60 bucks to buy and try all the different wallets on the market all the time.

My thoughts seem to keep going back to a Mullica Wallet...Not sure if it fits my criteria
Opine Traveler
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Opine Traveler
The Mullica Wallet is very good, but it's not really a hip wallet. Since you said you desired an "everyday wallet," I'm not sure what that means to you. However, I'll also mention that the Mullica Wallet is good for quite a bit more than just making a card go there.

For your paid gigs, strongly consider learning a good palm and plunking down the spread for a decent LePaul wallet (for card in envelope). If you're only going to do card in wallet, the LePaul wallet has layers of conviction that the Mullica Wallet lacks. But don't stop there. Other things can go inside the envelope other than just silly old playing cards.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've had most of them. I work 4 different restaurants on a weekly basis at this time. My wallet of preference is a Mullica Wallet. Check out Eugene Burger's Gourmet Close Up Magic. Pay attention to David Parr's work with a Mullica wallet on the same DVD. Here is a link:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S1473
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
"Obtain any wallet that will open and close book fashion"...

These words are from the book The Complete Mike Rogers.

Go to Magic Inc. and buy this book for $19.95 and turn to page 194 and read and adapt Simplex Card in Wallet to your needs.

There are no gaffed wallets that will surpass this method in the eyes of an audience.

In addition, you get a book that is a treasure trove of information from one of the best working pros of the 20th century.

ETA:

Books are your friends!
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
A similar discussion was going on in Secret Sessions. I offered an inexpensive alternative, but I don’t think it was much appreciated by the master maguses. It’s definitely cheaper than a new wallet!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=18
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
taklyt
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
42 Posts

Profile of taklyt
Daniel Garcia and Wayne Houchin devised a quite clever way to do the card to wallet with their Ultragaff deck without even buying a new wallet. Works fine for me!
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
DW for what it is worth I have been carrying a DB card in my wallet since reading your post. I think it is a great example of where a simple solution is many times very impactful. I appreciate always having it with me for those unexpected moments when you need to produce something magical. Thanks for the post!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you don't mind having the card signed across the face to make it truly unique before it vanishes and reappears in my very inexpensive "do-it-yourself" Wizard Wallet (from The Wizards' Journal #20) and which can optionally also be used to perform Steve Dusheck's Dollar Punch, Dusheck's Pad-I-Add Trix, plus more... then I recommend only that you check it out on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
If you're good at p*lming or confident doing so, then almost every wallet in the market is good enough for you.

The only other variable that might affect your decision is because some wallets will have other different features for doing other routines such as multiple outs, indexing, switch, etc.

For a guy like me, where p*lming is impossible, my options are pretty much very limited, hence I use Triple Threat Wallet by Anthony Miller.

Just browse through the wallets based on your budget, get to know their features, and plan ahead if their extra features will add more routines or possibilities in your performances.

Hope it help.s Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
I to like the Mullica Wallet.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
393 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Cool....It sounds like (from many of the responses) the general consensus is the Mullica Wallet(not quite sure yet, how it is as an everyday wallet) but I am toying around with 3 Yes, 3 Count Em other Ideas, either Joshua Jays "Transporter" no palm any signed card to "MY Wallet...spending $50 bucks for Mark Masons "Mirage Wallet" or Option 3. A signed Card to "MY" Wallet using a DB (I just need to find out the hows of this one, so if someone can send me a PM it would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I know a method that uses a regular wallet, uses no palm and is as easy as one can get.

Put a double backed card in your wallet. Have a card selected and brought to the top via your fav method. Retrieve the double backed card from the wallet and place on top of deck and on top of selection. Do a double turn over to show the selection, double turn again and place the top card (DB) back into wallet for reset.

I used this for 35-40 years and it always got a great reaction and , joy of joys the card can be signed if you want to go that route.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
That has to be the most unnatural CTW solution I've ever heard of. WTH would you take a card out of your wallet, put it back on the deck and then turn it face up?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You have to visualize this with a wallet and a pack of cards in your hands. Lay the wallet on top of the deck of cards so you can open the wallet with the other hand to show the DB card. The hand that is holding the deck beneath the wallet uses its thumb to slide the DB card out on top of the deck while you pull the wallet away from the hand holding the deck, close the wallet and return it to wherever. Now you turn over the card and proceed. It may be a clumsy way to open a wallet and remove a card, but as long as every move has a reason, it seems to work and no one seems to think it strange.

It's not the method used in my Wizard Wallet, but I have used it in the past with my regular wallet and know that it works.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
tmorgan1011
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of tmorgan1011
A Card to Wallet method I have used for many years (over 40) uses a Himber Wallet and a double face card
(for example: 2 of Hearts /Joker)

Preperation:
Sign one side of the double face card (2 of Hearts) and place it signed side up in one side of the Himber Wallet (the other side is empty).
Place the card that matchs the signed double face card (2 of Hearts)on top of the deck.

Routine:
Tell them that they selecte any card but the Joker since you always have trouble with the Jokers.
Force the card (2 of Hearts) from the top of the deck (criss/cross, slipcut, cut shallow/cut deep, etc.)
You sign the face (trying to match the signature on the card in the wallet) and have the spectator sign the back of the card.
Show the wallet and open it to show it is empty.
Tell the spectator that after placing the card back into the deck, you will make it travel into the wallet.
Demonstrate by placing the card into the wallet (your signature side up).
Close the wallet and set it down on the table (turning it over as you do.)
Ask the spectator if they think that you could sneak the card out of the deck and place it into wallet without them seeing you do it.
Pickup and open the wallet and remove the card (apparently their card but actually the double facer).
Close the "empty" wallet and place back on the table (reversing it secretly again).
Have the spectator place their hand on top of the wallet and not to remove it until asked.
(You have switched the double facer for the real signed card.)
With the deck face up, place the double face card (your signature on the 2 of Hearts)on the bottom of the deck.
Cut the cards and turn the deck face down.
Wave your hand over the deck and wave you hand over the wallet.
Spread the deck between your hands as you state that the card has vanished.
The "Other" side (Joker) of the double face card will be exposed.
Make a remark about the Jokers always causing you trouble.
Cut the deck at this point and deal the Joker face up on to the table (remember this is the other side of the double face card). Continue dealing the rest of the cards face up on top of the Joker.
Their card will not be seen.
Shown you hands empty, ask the spectator to remove their hand from the top of the wallet.
Pickup the wallet, open it and let the spectator remove their signed card.
Have fun!
mrgoat
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of mrgoat
Quote:
On 2011-05-04 00:12, pepka wrote:
That has to be the most unnatural CTW solution I've ever heard of. WTH would you take a card out of your wallet, put it back on the deck and then turn it face up?

Because you have no respect for your audience's intelligence?
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Since reading DW's post I carried a DB in my wallet and performed on several occasions. It worked great. I have only recently changed because the Infinity Wallet is now my every day wallet.
Jim H
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jim H
I first ran across using a DB card in Peter Marucci's column in the April 2010 issue of the Linking Ring. Very nice routine. He states that in the 20 years he has been writing the column, the DB card in wallet has been the most requested piece he has ever done. It originally appeared in the first of three one-man Parades in 1985. I have a hip pocket Mullica, Have tried the DB method, about the same reaction. It is so simple to do.

Posted: Jun 4, 2011 2:21pm
So where does one obtain an Ultragaff deck?
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Hello, I looked also for a nice card to wallet effect for everyday use and went for the switchback wallet.

ttp://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=13942&forum=113

I also considered the Real's man wallet tho.

Advantage of the switchback, is that it's like a portable black envelope, you can make predictions with it also. It's very neat.
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Joemv
If you want a very quick "no palm wallet" check out the F1 wallet.

Joe