The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Looking for a gimmicked card effect that would really impress magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I'm going to be performing in the gimmicked card night at my local IBM Ring this coming month and most of the gimmicked card effets I do wouldn't really impress them that much so I was wondering if any of you would know what would be a good effect to do that would impress a room filled with IBM members, one of which might be Shawn Farquhar. I was debating if I should buy that Get Sharky effect.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I wouldn't try to buy respect.

Pick ANY gimmicked card trick you currently have and come up with a new, killer routine around it.

OR you could buy mine at http://www.catcofx.com. Almost nobody has seen it...

Kidding, really. Save your money. A good new routine is what will impress other magicians.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
Cyberqat,
nice little routine. I agree just use what you have and develop your own routine they will love it.

Posted: Mar 30, 2011 10:47am
Marty Grams at Martini magic has a great thought of card across called Mentologie. I changed the handling for my own purpose and it just kills.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 10:45, brian314 wrote:
Cyberqat,
nice little routine. I agree just use what you have and develop your own routine they will love it.

Thanks Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I came up with a version of Red Hot Momma that is gimmicked a great deal. Think it's best purpose is to fool magicians, since it gets rid of many of the tells of the typical routine. If you want to impress/fool club guys you can just think of a normal routine, add some gimmicks to change the method and you would be surprised at how some can be fooled. Use a gimmick you have for something other than what it is made for.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I think GET SHARK is sensational - effect of the year at the Café in 2010. Worth every penny.

I tried it on my IBM group and nobody had seen it.

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=148
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
@Scott Fridinger thanks for the suggestion about RHM but I actually continually perform Cameron Francis' Red Light which is an ungaffed version of RHM and I've been getting some amazing reactions with that one

@saysold1 this is absolutely funny I was just reading your first post from the Get Sharky thread on here and I've shown it to my mom and she said she wants to buy it for me which is insanely rare, I've shown her tons of videos of stuff I want to buy and she's never given me a reaction as strong as that one to that demo video.

So yeah thanks everyone for replying but since I'm going to buy Get Sharky tomorrow there's no need for any more suggestions, but I'm always looking for more gimmicked card magic because I love it.

@saysold1 again, I'm trying to think of a presentation for that effect that would sound better than the 1 handed magician for that effect and I was wondering if you could help me out with that?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Get Sharky rocks (if I can spell it right).

Start reading from here - feel free to change as you like. I would suggest reading the thread all the way through.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

My only self criticism having done this a little while now is to not get TOO wrapped up in talking - and keep the effect moving along.

I like the alternate though as sometimes I feel the one handed magician is great but fast.

To go with the alternate idea you are going to need a can of R&S spray (Krylon 1311). PM me or Cyberqat as we can advise you on how to R&S some cards - pretty easy stuff.

Enjoy!

BRETT

To go with my idea
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Ok thanks saysold1 hopefully I'll find some, I remember seeing some stuff like that somewhere, I think it was called matte finish but I could be wrong.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hurry buy back to back

It kills and fools and is EZ to do
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Pete, I am not familiar with BACK TO BACK. Did you mean Jon Allen's DOUBLE BACK? Thanks. John
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Because it's Gimmick Card Night and the audience are magicians, everybody knows your trick is gimmicked. You can thus do any trick you like - even Cheek to cheek - as long as you put some humor and entertainment in it. Don't take yourself to seriously and make of an old fashioned trick a new comic act.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Ok thanks Zebaztian, I'm going to be performing that Get Sharky effect with that Instant Radio and have a custom Ivnisible Deck with the cards in it.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
@dpe666 it does look pretty cool but I already do something like that with normal cards, John Bannon's The Royal Scam.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi Matthew,

I'll be at the 4F convention and won't make this months Ring meeting. I'm with the majority that believe you should do something you already do well and perhaps start researching a new effect for next years contest now. Get Sharky is an outstanding deck with so many possibilities and would be a fine addition to anyones magic arsenal but I would suggest you take the time to learn it well, create variations and practice it for months before offering it in the contests.

See you soon, but not the next two or three meetings... as after 4F I have a to month tour of Europe.

Keep well and busy,

-shawn
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Thanks Shawn,

I actually just got Get Sharky and Instant Radio yesterday and I thought of a way to present it, basically I'm going to make a custom ID with the f***e cards in the deck and then I'll have that radio card on the GS deck and I'll produce some music from the deck, and then have them select a card and disappear it from the deck and it'll end up in the deck I didn't come near when I was doing the effect.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Another great gaffed effect, and easy to do is Kickback by Ryan Swigert...NOBODY see's that kicker coming!
:bigdance:
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Your RIGHT MagicMan1957 I have been looking for something different for a LONG time now and I think this is it.

Jason
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
There is a nice effect in Helder Guimaraes' "Red Mirror" DVD that uses 4 Jokers and a gaff that is quite nice...I have taken a liking to it lately and love to perform it.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile