The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: ReSealing An open deck of cards. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mclary211
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Mclary211
I am really interested in doing an effect from Paul Hallas's magic from the overground. It involves resealing a deck of cards. If anyone knows were I could find info on doing that could you drop me a line. Thanks.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Mclary211 it has been discussed here before. Do a search. I'm sure something will come up.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My "Signed Card to Sealed Deck" in The Wizards' Journal #13 touches on that subject and shows one way to accomplish it.

http://www.magicnook.com/WIZ13/WJ13-08.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Contact Shawn Farqhar.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Mmmm, Farqhar.....wasn't he eaten by the dragon in Shrek ?
Long Island,

New York
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
You can buy the deck stamps Mclary (stickers for the seal). As for the cellophane, you might look that up on google, because I haven't the slightest. (by the way, I know Ellusionist sells the stamps, but as for others, I couldn't say)
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
A knife, a gluestick and some time is all you need.

Darwin Ortiz explains one way of doing it in one of his books (I think it's in cardshark, an effect named - I think - back in time).

You don't really need the stickers, but they do save you the trouble of fiddling with the cardbox.

Now, open a new deck, mark the cards using your favourite method, reseal the box and open it during performance (or have the host provide it).
Some great magic possible there. Only for entertainment purpose of course!

Mikael johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Instead of opening the sticker end of the box, take an X-acto knife and carefully (children make sure you get your parents permission) cut open the bottom end of the box. Just cut through the glue. Then, when finished marking your deck, just re-glue the bottom end shut again and your good to go.

Mark.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
That method would certainly work (I have done it myself), but it would be at the expense of the cellophane seal.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
The Darwin Ortiz writeup also includes the cellophane wrapping.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
You could peel the cellophane from the "corner" folds. I tried it yesterday, but you can peel it, slide out the deck, open it, re-slide it back in the cellophane (may take a couple tries) and you can fold it back the same, put a small dab of glue and good as new. The part I messed up was just cutting the sticker. Went through all the trouble of not ripping the cellophane to rip the sticker...Oh well.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Did you try opening the deck from the bottom and not sliding the cellophane completely off the card box? Then resealing the bottom of the card box and the bottom of the cellophane.
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Now there's an idea edh.... I guess I was more focused on opening it up the real way- and never really thought about cutting the bottom...
shakes
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of shakes
Hello,

I use the deck seals and got my celophane from uline. Its very cheap and you get a lot of it. You wont have the peel away part like the celophane on true bikes but on the routine I do the spectator opens the deck and I have never been questioned. Good Luck
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 02:55, Leo-Kim wrote:
A knife, a gluestick and some time is all you need.
Darwin Ortiz explains one way of doing it in one of his books (I think it's in cardshark, an effect named - I think - back in time).
Mikael johansson
Sweden

And also on his dvd...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Homegrown, yes and it is much easier to just slide the cellophane down back onto the card box.
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Maybe you need this New deck seals? I use them with good effect on the spectators. Put your gaff in the deck and go on. You will also have a better chance to "kill" another magicans... Smile

BLUE, http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/new-deck-s......671.html
RED, http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/new-deck-seals-red-p-2670.html
WHITE, http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/new-deck-s......672.html

-Morten-
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
ULINE is the way to go. they have the cellophane wrap
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Escape Artist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Escape Artist
I own the Wonder Sealer and it works great.

It takes a few tries to figure out how to tighten the wrap, but then your good to go

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13576
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On 2013-02-05 10:58, Escape Artist wrote:
I own the Wonder Sealer and it works great.

It takes a few tries to figure out how to tighten the wrap, but then your good to go

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13576

Yes, it does, and I highly recommend it. If you would prefer a cheaper option, buy the cellophane refills for the Wonder Sealer, and instead of using the Wonder Sealer to fuse the plastic together, use a hot lamp or lightbulb. Smile
You could always do it the old fashioned way with glue and a knife. Smile

Shawn Farquar's sealed deck routine is great....It will come out soon if it hasn't already. Good luck!

If you are determined on using glue, just regular superglue would work just fine.