The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Who has the best Routine with the Invisible Deck! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I'm looking for a nice routine with the invisible deck. Was thinking about getting Bill Malone's Vol3 on the loose as I understand he has a good routine. Curious if there are any others I might wanna look at.
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I recall Cody S. Fisher having a nice handling. I don't remember the routine, but I recall it being good.

The Bill Malone DVD's should be in every performer's collection just for the performances. If you do plan to go with purchasing the Malone DVD #3, realize that you should get the rest of the series. Although, IMHO, the Malone DVD's would've been better had it been a 3 DVD set instead of 4, but they're still great to have.

KC
Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
The standard routine has killed for years and I would argue is still the best. I know it gets "boring" for magicians seeing the same routine over and over but the fact is it is simply that strong.

Mitch
Mitch Solway
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
How about the DVD that's specifically for Invisible Deck, worth to buy it or not ?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Unless you feel you really need to see the effect being performed, you can save a lot of money and just pick up the small booklet about the Invisible Deck (Invisible Secrets Revealed, I think it's called?). Same routines as on the video. Probably more, actually.

Cody Fisher's Total Invisibility routine. He booklet is interesting, but his routine is for a stand-up presentation. He has another one called The Killer Card Trick that is for close-up, which I have not seen:

The magician removes a deck of cards from the box and shuffles them thoroughly. The cards are really shuffled!

The fronts and backs of all the cards are shown fairly. The magician spreads through the deck and has anyone merely THINK of ANY card.

The deck is taken behind the magicians back for only a second. When the deck is brought back into sight the magician makes three claims:

While the deck was behind his back he was able to (1) locate the mentally selected card, (2) reverse it in the deck and (3) place it back into the shuffled deck right next to it’s mate!

You spread through the deck, one card is face down...it is the mentally selected card...and it is next to it’s mate!
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
One of the best presentations is Alain Nu's Invisibility Watch in the one man issue of Labyrinth magazine. It won't be easy to find but is worth the hunt.

Tim Trono
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I have a particularly strong presntation that uses the Invisible Deck but not the Invisible Deck presentation. It is called I Knew It All the Time. It appears on my Classic Force Videotape (available through your local dealer, MagicSmith.com, or directly from me).

It has served me well and consistently receives "Standing 'O's" at the Magic Castle.

Keep looking.

Regards,

Paul Green
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
I have Cody Fisher's three routines on invisibility which sells for about $15.00. Very strong material here and it includes instructions on making a custom built deck that allows the performer to show both sides.

The Killer Card Trick (I received this a few days ago)is equally strong ($25)and the effect is true to the advertisement outlined above by Bekralik. Importantly, the routine can be adapted by the performer and you can look at other ways of maximizing the spectator impact.

Worth considering if you use the standard Invisible Deck and want to add a few further impossible twists to the card revelation.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
There was a clever routine in an out of print Mickey Hades publication "Sex and the single magician".
You approach a girl and in an experiment you are conducting on compatibility between a man and a woman, you wish to attempt to see if the two of you would by chance be compatible in any way. You tell her you have reversed a card in the deck and ask her what card comes to her mind...etc.... You can figure out the rest.

Another clever routine using a Brainwave deck was just published in the latest Learned Pig Vol. 2 Number 8 dated March 8, 2003. The routine is called Magic vs, Mentalism by Marko.
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
I'd have to say that Bill Malone's Standing Ovation Invisible Deck is a great closer. Nobody beats his the way he involves audience members and makes them perform the magic. His humor and wit make his routine unforgetable. Definitely the best that I've seen.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
You might like to check out Doug Edward's clever and simplified handling of an invisible deck in his book "Packs A Wallop"
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Steve Bedwell has a very interestings ideas for presenting the I.D...sorry i don't remember the exact name of the routine right now...

But it is in is video call " Steve Bedwell M.D required "...It's very commercial and logical...Very clever

Humbly...

Kuffs
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I just bought an invisible deck on Saturday but not had a chance to really try it out.
I've an idea though, using the SUC I bought at Christmas.

1. Get spector to take one of your business cards.
2. Take out ID and place in case ,on table.
3. Ask spect to write down the name of their favorite card on the back of the Business card.
4.Place back in SUC and Peek card name, placing wallet next to ID.
5. Tell them that prior to coming to the venue you took out a card and reversed it in the Deck.
6.Proceed to take deck out, fan and separate at chosen card and place deck, faces up, on table.
7. Remove Business card from wallet and place next to fanned out deck.
8. Ask spec to slide out the reversed card and turn it face up.Then turn over business card to reveal both same.

Any good ?

Howard Smile Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Wow guys, I have been a long time Invisible Deck user but a few days ago I made a Brainwave Deck and was astonished at how better an effect it was, and what an even more amazed reaction I got. I always thought the Brainwave Deck's extra kicker was overkil and attracted unwanted attention to the rest of the cards, but I was wrong. Very wrong. I'm switching to the Brainwave Deck now.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Cup and Ball
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Cup and Ball
I like the Brainwave too, but what do you do/say when a red backed deck comes out of a blue card case. I'm sure there is something "cute" to say, but I still think it draws too much attention. Thoughts?
Smile Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I've seen Cody Fisher's stuff and it is quite good.

Can't believe no one gave his website, so I will

http://www.fishermagic.com//index2.htm

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2025 Posts

Profile of Platt
Why complicate matters with a big routine? If there's one objective fact in magic, it's that simpler is better. What could be more simple and direct than:' "Hey, name any card in the deck.? Interesting. One card is flipped over...take it out."

Please show me a more direct handling than that. For a big performance, the classic turn over the invisible card and put it back in the deck thing is nice. But for a quick one-on-one mindblower, make it simple and direct. Why? Because you can.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2003-03-11 14:51, kuffs wrote:
Steve Bedwell has a very interestings ideas for presenting the I.D...sorry i don't remember the excat name of the routine right now...

But it is in is video call " Steve Bedwell M.D required "...It's very commercial and logical...Very clever

The routine is called "Shake, Shuffle & Twist" and it is a very clever effect using an invisible deck.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I agree. The Bedwell Routine is the best I have seen. Smile
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Quote:
On 2003-03-11 15:47, Platt wrote:
Why complicate matters with a big routine? If there's one objective fact in magic, it's that simpler is better. What could be more simple and direct than:' "Hey, name any card in the deck.? Interesting. One card is flipped over...take it out."

Please show me a more direct handling than that. For a big performance, the classic turn over the invisible card and put it back in the deck thing is nice. But for a quick one-on-one mindblower, make it simple and direct. Why? Because you can.

I don't quite agree. I think a direct, pure effect way of presenting the ID can be powerful, but will certainly not be very entertaining, and will just leave the audience feeling stupid. I think the way Bill Malone and others have done it, involving spectators in the magic and making them feel like they are the ones that caused the magic to happen is important to making the effect more memorable and enjoyable. Why? Because you can.