The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: New ideas, patter for Mental Photography? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Anyone have any suggestions/hints for a different storyline/patter for the Mental photography deck?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the routine that is included with the deck, and the deck itself is a GEM...

Just sounding out the pros for any ideas or suggestions on how to extend the milage of this great deck.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Greg Hues has a great mental photography deck on magicvideodepot:

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5205

In your head
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Check out Barry Mitchell's site for a routine called Flim Flam Flum. Although Barry Mitchell performs predominantely for kids, but this routine is great for close-up too! http://www.barrymitchell.com

Of course, Bill Malone has a wonderful spectator-assistant focussed routine in one of his DVDs (I think its on Volume 4 of his On the Loose set by L&L)
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
I don't know about patter, but I have a couple handling tips that have served me well. Begin by showing the cards as normal. Starting with a blank deck arouses unnecessary suspicion and unwanted expectation; it diminishes the surprise. Also, when pattering about the selection process (dribbling the cards), I sloppily dribble the cards into my hand so that I can casually turn them over to show lots and lots of blue backs.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cain, I LOVE your handling idea and it makes a LOT of sense! I've noticed a bit of initial sketicism when the blanck deck is brought out...I'm going to try your idea and see how it flies.

Thanks a ton pal!

Prof. Piper
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Cain...

I've tried your idea and it works GREAT!

Thanks a ton man!

My patter, which is still in development, plays on "Old Timers" disease...Sometimes I can remember things fine (show the whole deck), and other times, well...Not so great (show one or two cards, then the all go blank again)...

I'm still working it, but it's a GREAT start...

Thanks to you!

Again, you rock.

Prof. Piper
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have decided to dust off my Mental Photography Deck after watching the Bill Malone version.

Later
PW
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
I love the effect and have a presentation for it that I'd rather not discuss. Sorry, that's low of me to do. but I just got worried when I saw this thread, it would crush me to see another doing it>

Bill Malone's is fantastic though. Another nice handeling for this effect is Alfonso's.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
John Guastaferro uses the concept of the mental photography in his Snowball Aces with amazing visual effect; but without using the rough and smooth cards. Trust me, this one is an eye candy and spec. have no clue what hit them between the eyes.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
Prof. P,

Awesome! Although I am reluctant to take credit for the "idea."
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Hey Cain...

Look, just because you didn't bulldoze the ENTIRE path, doesn't mean you don't deserve credit for at least pointing out a PATHWAY!

Who cares if the original "Idea" was yours or not???

You tipped it to me, I'm working on my own patter, thus?:

Something NEW (meaning patter) will emerge!

Credit given where credit is due:

Cain, you rock.

Period.

Prof. Piper
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
My personal favorite is Mike Skinner's. But Mike Roger's ideas for trade show use are
fantastic, they are on the Steven's tape.
It's Fun to be Fooled
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
David Regal offers "Photo Finish" in Close Up and Personal; do check it out, it's the handling I always use when I have a table around. For totally in the hands, I perform the 'traditional' routine.

Cheers

Chris
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Don Alan's routine from his booklet "Pretty Sneaky"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Bill Malone's version, which is a tweak of Michael Skinner's version, is great. It's called Direct from the Factory and it can be found on volume #3 of his On the Loose DVD set.