The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Tv commercials and the Svengali deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
172 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
Ok I was doing an ambitious card for my father using a Svengali deck and he was being shocked then one of my rings snagged the deck and I dropped about ten.
Well he snatched up the cards and got a bright look in his eyes "They use to sell these on TV when I was a kid."
Now what I want to know is, is this true? If it is then the ramifications are honestly staggering.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Yes, the Svengali Deck was sold on TV in the 1960's and 70's as "Magic Cards," by a magician named Marshall Brodien. Why is that staggering?

In fact, the Svengali Deck has been around for about 100 years, and started to be sold in volume in the late 1930's at the 1939 World's Fair, I believe. It is a standard pitch item and an excellent trick if you learn how to handle the deck naturally and can do a good deck switch (and don't drop any cards!)

The Svengali Deck is a classic that will never grow old. Potential new Svengali watchers/buyers are being born every day, which is a good thing for Svengali pitchmen! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
For such a creepy looking chap, you sure are easily staggered. They are still sold in the toy sections of Wal-mart under Brodien's TV Magic Cards brand name.

Heck... I bought first deck at a dollar store and it actually said "Trick magic cards!" on the box.

Perhaps you should just wear less jewelry.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
I still have a pack of "TV Magic Cards" (and yes, it does say that on the box!) as well as "TV Mystery Cards" (Svengalis that turn blank). Marshall Brodien's commercials are one of the things that got me into magic in the first place. His stuff is now sold through Cadaco.

Marshall was also Wizzo the Wizard on Bozo's Circus.
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
172 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
Ok when I said " the ramifications are honestly staggering " I meant in terms of using exposed tricks and how quickly people forget.
If somebody would have told me they where sold on TV when I got my first deck I would have put them in the trash.
That would have been perfectly good magic down the drain.
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 17:05, Reis O'Brien wrote:
For such a creepy looking chap,
Thanks!!

Quote:
Perhaps you should just wear less jewelry.

I get very nervous performing for my pop, He likes magic but when its me I never know when he is going to try to foil me and it causes me to screw up. With other people I just don't worry about that. Plus I do take one of my rings off. *snicker*
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2006-05-16 04:41, Vater Araignee wrote:
Ok when I said " the ramifications are honestly staggering " I meant in terms of using exposed tricks and how quickly people forget. If somebody would have told me they where sold on TV when I got my first deck I would have put them in the trash.
That would have been perfectly good magic down the drain.

Even though I dislike exposure, that's why it doesn't bother me too much anymore.

Magic is a new experience for each new generation. Or, as W.C. Fields once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." SETH
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Here's something Derek Dingle said in an interview published in Genii shortly after his death:

"I don't think any exposure over the years has had a detrimental effect on magic. If you expose something, magicians think of something else to replace it. For instance, there's a Svengali Deck on the market that's on TV a lot called 'TV Magic Cards'. People have probably been buying that deck in hundreds of thousands all over the world for the last 50 years. I guarantee you that any magician can fool an audience with that deck. Just knowing a secret is not the big thing about magic; presentation, the way you do it, is the important thing." (Genii magazine, May 2004, p.47)
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember visiting Marshall Brodien some years ago and he took me to a wherehouse where he kept his TV Magic Cards. It was a huge building and there must have been a million decks of cards on pallets stacked high everywhere.

I said, "Yikes, you don't think you have too much stock do you?"

His answer, "This is only half the order."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Mr. Brodien is a marketing genius. From what I have heard over the years he made a fortune on TV Magic Cards, the Svengali Deck and then lost it on TV Miracle Cards which was a Stripper Deck. Made back on a magic set, etc. The list he generated off the TV sales has to have been worth millions in back end sales. Although it may not seem it magic probably owes a huge debt of gratitude to Mr. Brodien for popularizing it to a wider audience. Folks that love magic, but are not magicians love to watch magic, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Let us not forget the "TV Mystery Cards"...the blank deck. Still have all my ORIGINAL TV Magic stuff around from the 1970's!

Steve
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Has anyone ever actually SEEN anyone performing with TV Magic Cards, besides on the old commercials on television? They are marked "TV Magic Cards" on their backs, so it shouldn't be too hard to spot them. Obviously they sell. But, do you know of anyone who uses them in performance, even to family and friends?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Didn't David Copperfield use "TV Magic Cards" on his last network special? <grin>
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Vater Araignee,

If you don't like using your Svengali deck then buy some roughing spray and make it into a mirage deck. It is more deceptive and will fool anyone who has or knows how the Svengali deck works. What I like about that is that you can show all the cards as different by fanning them face up. Just a thought.

Patrick
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
[quote]On 2006-05-16 09:20, sethb wrote:

Magic is a new experience for each new generation. Or, as W.C. Fields once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." SETH
[/quote ]P.T.Barnum said that. Fields did say"never give a sucker an even break and never smarten up a chump".
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2734 Posts

Profile of sethb
Ringmaster, thanks for the correction; now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that you're right. SETH
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 17:57, sethb wrote:
Didn't David Copperfield use "TV Magic Cards" on his last network special? <grin>

I must have missed that. Smile
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"There's a sucker born every minute." P.T.Barnum said that.

That's the most miss quote of all time. P.T.Barnum NEVER said that.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Who did?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 21:55, daffydoug wrote:
Who did?

A banker named David Hannum, in regards to the cardiff giant. Hannum was an investor in a display of the giant, and he was under the mistaken impression that his Cardiff giant was authentic. He was referring to the thousands of "fools" that paid money to see Barnum's "fake" and not his "authentic" one.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Tha'ts amazing!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.