The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Questions & Observations on the Split Spades Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just picked up a couple of Split Spades decks today at Magic Inc. here in Chicago. I bought one black and one red back. If you haven't seen these cards yet, I strongly suggest taking a look at them.

The back design is absolutely beautiful! Note the crying angel stabbing a sword into the spade design. Or the black cat figure crawling through the flames. Or even the inverted serpent's head hissing at the point of the blade. The crying angel figure is bent in a way that it resembles a skull from a distance, like that famous optical illusion of the lady sitting at her mirror. I have no idea if this was intentional or not, but I may be looking too deep into it.

However, I do have a couple of questions for any of you who may own this deck.

The faces of both the Queen and King of spades have clearly been altered from the original Tally-Ho design. In fact, the King looks a lot like David Blaine! If you have this deck, please take a close look and then let me know if I'm crazy.

Also, the box design (Laid out similar to the Tally-Ho box) has a name over the top arch; M. STUTZMAN. Who is this M. STUTZMAN? I'm suspecting that this may be an anagram, but if it is, I haven't figured it out yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or any other observations?

-Reis O'Brien
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I don't know about the Blained King, but M. Stutzman is the designer.

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
The King was purposelly designed to look like David, and the angels to look like skulls. Good catch.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
I also heard that Stutzman is the guy that designed the Elvis stamp for the US postal service. Not a confirmed fact, but that's what I was told.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Surprised no one has discussed the message yet.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Mark Stutzman was the guy who designed the Elvis stamp, and I think that the queens are David's girlfriend, but they may also be an ex (Fiona - who knows?). OK, Nathan, what's the "message"?

:) Kaylan
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Quote:
On 2006-05-04 00:31, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Surprised no one has discussed the message yet.

All the best,

Kranzo

O.K. I'll bite. What message?
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
So I'm not crazy after all... Good to know.

I'll bite, as well... what message?

sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
At ellusionist.com they call them the "David Blaine Split Spades Deck", so I guess that's where the whole DB thing comes in. I wish someone better, like Copperfeild, would come out with a deck. Also, what message?
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Nathan mentioned that same thing in a post in the accesories forum and commented he wasn't at liberty to expose it. That was back in March 26th. So, Nathan stop teasing us and give us a heads up. Smile Or are you still not at liberty to discuss this message?
Just curious.
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I was just thinking that my initials are DB too... Davide Brizio ... I think I should buy one of these "Davide Brizio" personal decks... Smile

Dave
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Hmm....well, considering that Nathan's just not starting rumors (huh, Nathan?) and that I can't examine the cards myself, I'll give it a go.

From what I've heard, the KS was redesigned as Blaine, the QS as his girlfriend, and the QH as his mother. The QS is also supposed to be holding a 4S rather than the usual 6S.

Maybe Blaine and his Queen are gettin' hitched, and the 4S has something to do with the date. Of course, Blaine could also be a lying joker. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Hahaha!!! "Lying Joker"... I hope that's not the message everyone is talking about!

By the way... the name, "Davide Brizio" is such an awesome magician name. You lucky dog!

Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
OK, if there really is a hidden message, I'll take a stab at it...the KS is David, and the QS is his girlfriend. She's only holding 4 spades in her hand, not 6, signifying something. I think that maybe this means that she and David are about to expand into a family of 4...in other words, she's pregnant with twins!

OK, if that's not it, then it may have something to do with the back design. We have:
* an angel covering one eye stabbing a sword at a snake
* A black cat (panther?) surrounded by flames

Hmmm...a representation of heaven and hell? But what does this possibly have to do with a message?

OK, what do you guys think is the message?

Kaylan
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
229 Posts

Profile of phase27
Look at this description from blaines store

Features:
Artwork on card box and back by Mark Stutzman
Artwork on faces by Daniel White
Deck includes two optical illusion Liar/Face cards
Comes in a special new deck order
Hidden messages and design features can be found throughout the deck
Cards are "silky smooth" and faro, cut, and fan perfectly

I noticed the deck order was different but does anyone think this has to do with the hidden message?
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
What was the order and how was it different? Then maybe we can take a guess.
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
There's a Queen in the deck that resemble somebody. Who is it?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Zing82 - read the thread dude
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

A new deck order....interesting.

Dagnabbit, why'd you guys get me thinking about this? I can't refuse a puzzle! Smile
Michael J.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
A new deck order? Great... that would have been some very helpful information before I shuffled and cut this deck 800 times! ARGH!