The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Different Backs Available (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I know there is always a disagreement about unusual backs, but I happen to prefer them and think the interest created is worth any suspicion.

Anyway, at Sam's Club, today, I saw the first of the Bicycle "Vintage Design Collectors Set" packages. It contains 6 decks, 2 of each of the following (1 red and 1 blue):

Cupid Back (1894-1943)
Tangent Back (1907-1939)
Thistle Back (1891-1939)

It also includes a booklet "100 Years of Timeless Card Games".

The price was less than 10 bucks. I haven't opened the cards yet, so I don't know anything about the quality of the cards, but the designs do look interesting. It appears that they will be producing more vintage sets and it refers you to the web site for more information. Of course, there was nothing there.

I thought some of you may be interested.

sam
Felicitas
View Profile
New user
Maryland
36 Posts

Profile of Felicitas
Interesting! I'd like to know about the quality of the cards, when you get the chance.

-A.J.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
You've got my attention. I'll have to go check it out.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Are the faces of these cards all uniform? In other words are the faces of these cards look like the regular Bike deck faces?
Magic is a vanishing art.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
These don't show up in the 2006 catalog at all, which makes them very intersesting.

If anybody see's them in a Canadian store, please post here or PM me.

Cheers.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I did hear about these as a limited release. I'm actually surprised to see that they are available at Sams's. Steve (Sam??), please let us know re: the quality. I'll head over to Costco tomorrow morning and see if they are available there, as well. I'll let you all know...
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I was at Costco 2 or 3 days ago, and I only saw the regular 12 pack of bikes.

The packaging for the brick is different now, and there's no more holdem symbol or instructions. The individual boxes are back to normal and the bonus cards are Sudoku.

I didn't notice any vintage designs or anything though.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Talarspeed
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Talarspeed
My Sams (Memphis) doesn't carry Bicycles. Maybe they will get them later. They carry a 12-deck bulk of Vegas Brand. Costco sells the bulk Bicyles. Hopefully Sams will get the vintage packs.

Is this a limited release promotion?
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Fellers,

I took a quick picture:

http://s90390916.onlinehome.us/Blog/Bikes.jpg

It's not the best, but I had several questions and they seem to be rather difficult to find right now.

I got a feeling I should have grabbed the few they had when I was there.

sam (BTW my initials)
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
Steve,
could you by any chance get there in the near future again ?
If so I'd be highly interested in some of these sets.

Please contact me when you do.
Best,
Philipp (aka Phil from TSD - my god am I a showoff Smile)
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks for that photo.
These cards don't show up anywhere on the USPCC web site, or in their 2006 catalog.
I agree, you should have bought all they had, and then asked if they could get you any more.

The "vintage" re-issue of the original Safety Backs is now out there for sale. I've not seen it anywhere yet though except the rather expensive specialty card sites.

It would be nice to find the safety backs someplace like Costco or Walmart for the same price as Riders.

The three pack vintage set that Steve found seems almost as rare as the original cards themselves.
I've done a half an hour of Google searchs and found absolutely no reference to them anywhere.

Those Cupid backs are super rare, not commonly available in their vintage form even if you do have the couple of hundred bucks it would cost to buy a deck.

Trying to follow anything regarding USPCC card back issues by using their web site, or emailing them is like pulling teeth without the freezing, it's almost impossible.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
The biker backs look interesting.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 14:55, stevenamills wrote:
Fellers,

I took a quick picture:

Ooooh! I like these!!
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
There are new decks at Target. there are baby blue and baby pink, silver and black gloss, blue and red, green, and clear cards. they are pretty good price and they are very good for Faroing and color changes. If you get 1 blue and 1 pink, you can do an interesting chicago opener.
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Has anyone seen these decks anywhere other than Sam's? The pink, blue, and bright green pastel and black decks at Target do not have regular faces. Thus a lot of routines like Chicago Opener, or Color changing deck won't work. Occasionally, you can find bright green backed decks on eBay. These are not the Christmas backs, or the Tactical Field decks. They have normal faces. I have no idea what they were printed for, or when. I picked up several decks last year and use them around St. Patty's day.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 22:07, Krumb wrote:
The biker backs look interesting.

Krumb, those are the ones that are called the Cupid Backs, and if you ever find a pack, or packs, buy them all.

These things are one of the nicest backs USPCC ever put out on a Bike card, and they're next to impossible to get a hold of.

Ii have one single deck of Cupid Backs, and it cost way too much.

These re-issues are nice enough that I'd buy as many as I could find, even if it cost a few hundred bucks.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Silverking, I will keep my eyes open for them. I'm very interested in getting some of those back, they look great.....thanks for the info.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
161 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
I bought a set yesterday at Sam's for $9.87, with tax $10.56. There were plenty, maybe 20-25 sets. They had those as well as the dealers dozen. The backs of the decks read something like numbers 4,5,6. Collect them all. Sounds as if there will be more designs released?
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
161 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 21:59, silverking wrote:
I've done a half an hour of Google searchs and found absolutely no reference to them anywhere.

Silver, Try ebay for "vintage bicycle safety back". Some guy has opened the set and is selling them. He also has a scan of the front and back of the box. Maybe I should go back and snag 10 more sets?

SS
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
monark
View Profile
Regular user
Southern IN
162 Posts

Profile of monark
That's great! I'll have to look next time I go to a Sam's! Smile