The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Invisible deck....Overexposure???!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Hello fellow conjurers,

I was just pondering over the overexposure of the Invisible Deck...It's [in my own opinion] "disheartening" to see such a good effect overexposed (Oftentimes magic dealers will sell them to people coming into a shop "off the street" for the first time!!).

My question is, how many of you "seasoned" magi continue to perform it? How many, " My aunt so- and so's got that" have you encountered? Do you feel it's still valuable for the professional's arsenal?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I still do the Invisible Deck from time to time. At times, I have spec. said they know how it's done as it's a "trick" deck. How did they know that? Magic shop for one or their magi buddies.
Another place curious layperson can find out about Invisible Deck is simply look it up at Wikipedia. Here's the link with secret reveals at the bottom. Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Invisible deck is my first gimmicked deck. I'm still doing it sometimes (I'm not a "seasoned" magi btw). My audiences either watched other magicians performed or saw it on TV, although many of them don't know the secret, but its an "old trick" to them already.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
That would be unfortunate if ID gets compromised as much as Svengali or stripper decks. It's so *** good.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I've used the ID for decades and never run into a lay audience that knew what the deck was. The few times that someone approached me after a show and was familiar with the ID it was someone with an interest in magic, often from thier youth.

The presentation of the effect is the thing that will put even knowledgeable folks off track. There are several extremely good presentations that are well disguised. Most casual users present the trick as a show and tell magic trick. J.B.Bobo put out a trick called "Let's Pretend", if I remember it right. It is a presentation of the ID using a miniature deck, with a great story. The deck is produced as the spectator reveals his thought-of card and then the deck opened and the selection revealed. The story really makes this work...

Anyone who has seen Don Alan do this trick knows that there is virtually no chance of a spectator relating his presentation to the trick deck they have stuffed in thier drawer at home!

Eddie Fields describes several presentations, including a Pool Table hustle that will throw even magicians off the track.

So, in answer to your question, the trick is not overworked, although the secret may be over-exposed. Presentation is, as usual, the key to good magic...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Is it a bit naive to think that a shop owner wouldn't sell whatever he could when ever he could? Svengali or stripper decks in the right hands can still amaze.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I rarely use any gimmicked deck. However, New Year's Eve I was perfoming strolling and had to do one trick onstage, (something else I reall don't do.) I decided that invisible deck would be perfect, and used Bill Malone's handling with a local DJ. It went over very well, but now, I have people requesting it at my regular gigs. I don't always have it on me and hate to say no. I guess I learned my lesson.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Perhaps as an unadorned trick on its own, with the original "invisible deck" premise, it has been overexposed. But as a utility item, built into a routine, or used as an out, my guess is that there's plenty of life in the ol' girl yet.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I don't think we have to worry about over exposure based on the Wikipedia explanation. Smile

Robert
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
An ID used in conjunction with a drawer box is tops!! (Innit Robert? Smile )

Now, then, a groundbreaking magic thought: Who's gonna come up with a 'himber drawer box' or some kinda 'switch' drawer? - Now that would be awesome! I know, I've gone off topic. I'll get my coat!
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Roger --

I believe Paul Harris proposed something like what you're talking about in Art of Astonishment, in a very funny conversation with Eric Meade.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 17:26, adgnyc wrote:
Roger --

I believe Paul Harris proposed something like what you're talking about in Art of Astonishment, in a very funny conversation with Eric Meade.

really? I'm gonna have a look!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 16:20, Roger Kelly wrote:
An ID used in conjunction with a drawer box is tops!! (Innit Robert? Smile )

Now, then, a groundbreaking magic thought: Who's gonna come up with a 'himber drawer box' or some kinda 'switch' drawer? - Now that would be awesome! I know, I've gone off topic. I'll get my coat!

Yes, it is, Roger! ;-)

Robert
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 15:57, adgnyc wrote:
. . . or used as an out . . . .

Please, please, please don't do this. Here's why.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 19:13, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

ID is a great out. Your example is silly. A card is selected and when placed into the deck the magi screws the control up, legitimatly losing the card. The magi has the spectator shuffle the cards, and place them in the box. The magician explains that this is the trick he/she is famous for, the $100 card trick. The magician explains if he/she can't find the card, the spectator gets a $100 bill...

the magi asks for the name of the card, and with no moves opens the deck and shows the one card is face down....

TaDaa!

It's a strong trick on its own, and much better then having them pick a new card...

Also, its great for challenge type situation (should you want to)...
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
I'm a lover of I.D. and I perform it many time every night. In three decade they catch me only once, but the guy was explaining to the friends the secret, talking also of Rough king fluid, so he probably bought it in a magic shop.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
Perhaps as an unadorned trick on its own, with the original "invisible deck" premise, it has been overexposed. But as a utility item, built into a routine, or used as an out, my guess is that there's plenty of life in the ol' girl yet.

I'll take that bet based on my experience performing the effect for more than 30 years. That being said, there is one place in the world where I'd be leary of performing it.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 19:36, Nordatrax wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 19:13, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

ID is a great out. Your example is silly. A card is selected and when placed into the deck the magi screws the control up, legitimatly losing the card. The magi has the spec shuffle the cards, and place them in the box. The magician explains that this is the trick he/she is famous for, the $100 card trick. The magician explains if he/she cant find the card, the spec gets a $100 bill...

the magi asks for the name of the card, and with no moves opens the deck and shows the one card is face down....

TADAA!

its a strong trick on its own, and much better then having them pick a new card...

Also, its great for challenge type situation (should you want to)...

My example, while exaggerated, is in no way silly. This is exactly how the majority of magicians will use an invisible deck as an out. Don't believe me? Just read the plurality of threads on this site alone concerning the idea.

Your example, in contrast, requires a flawless deck switch.

You tell me: What percentage of magicians who use an invisible deck have even considered employing a deck switch? Of that small number, how many could do it flawlessly having just ruined the effect they'd planned to present?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You know every magic shop sells tons of cups and balls (I'm talking the little plastic sets), and tons of other magic all that is still done by pros. The invisible deck takes a bit more skill than a Svengali deck. Sure people may buy it, but people also never learn to read the instructions and figure it out. In the Las Vegas strip magic shops they sell a million hellicopter cards/UFO etc. Yet I don't see anyone abandoning I.T. usage because of those effects wide distribution. I once saw Juan Tamariz do the most baffleing ambitious card routine I ever saw. Myself and several other magicians at the table were just awed by it. We just couldn't catch the moves, and all of us do ambitious card very well. Juan slaps the deck down on the table and leaves it there laughing his head off as he heads to another table. It was probably 20 min before any of us thought to pick up the deck. Svengali deck. So don't say it is "over exposed", a particular routine with a deck might get "over exposed" . All tricks are just "cheap tricks" its the magican who turns it into magic and entertainment.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I do it very often and it still is one of the best tricks ever!!!