The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Questions & Observations on the Split Spades Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 17:18, Daniel White wrote:
The cards are one way.
Interesting... can you expound on this revelation? Other than my deck which is cut so off center, is there something in the design that makes it a one way deck? Thanks.
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Even if the cards were one-way, which I doubt very much, that's not a "message."
ALX 2.0
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of ALX 2.0
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 17:18, Daniel White wrote:
The cards are one way.

:)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm not understanding this new trend of posting a quote of a previous post, and adding nothing to it but a smiley face.

If this were to become commonplace on the Café, it would turn into a bunch of smiley faces quoting a bunch of other smiley faces with the card content amounting to zero.

What happened the old fashioned system of "if you're going to post, at least ask a question or post something informative"?

....or is this a new way to appear mysterious?
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Agreed silverking...it's almost as annoying as saying that a deck is one-way without saying HOW it is, or saying that there's a message but not saying WHAT it is. That's just me though.
If the cards are really one-way, I would like to know how. I've studied the back's design and could not detect a difference in their symmetry. It's possible I'm wrong (of course), but if someone out there is aware of how they're 1-way, please do tell.

:) Kaylan
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
Agreed!!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It's one of those thing like Circle back Tally's. You'd never believe they're one-way until it's pointed out to you.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
OK Kevin, so why don't you point it out to us.

Kaylan
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Okay guys I found it! It is a one way design. Now, can I post this finding in the secret sessions without causing any major headache? Or do I have to PM the entire Café? Smile

<<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
I thought I'd let you guys know that these cards are not one way, unless I was misinformed.

Now... If the cards really are one way, I hope the information will not just be revealed to everyone in a public forum. So if you do find something, please keep it to yourself. Treat the information like a secret method that only you know. That way, I can look for any one way signs myself. Thank you.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Royce K.
View Profile
New user
London
89 Posts

Profile of Royce K.
I have it on VERY good authority that the aces are marked.

I have no idea how that could be construed as a message, but there you go...

Thanks,

Royce K.
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
As one of the designers of these cards, I can tell you for certain that they are one way. In fact there are three different locations on the back design that make them one way. I will not disclose these areas as I agree with "the One". However I will say that these are similar to the one way distinction on the tally ho fan back in their subtlelty.
You can believe me or not.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Quote:
Now... If the cards really are one way, I hope the information will not just be revealed to everyone in a public forum. So if you do find something, please keep it to yourself. Treat the information like a secret method that only you know. That way, I can look for any one way signs myself. Thank you.

That's why I won't post it. Several people, in this, and other threads, have asked that it not be posted on the forums. Show the deck around to friends and family. Just cause they're not magicians, doesn't mean they won't spot it. Take it to your local IBM ring and see who can spot something.

As for Aces being marked, I have no clue. But the backs are one way, and it's not the borders being off-center.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
As one of the designers of these cards,

I thought Stutzman designed these cards.
Which part of the design is yours?
ALX 2.0
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of ALX 2.0
The faces were designed by Dan.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Well, I've been staring at the backs of these cards long enough for my coffee to get cold and I just can't see the one way design, nor the alleged marked aces.

But you know what really burns my waffles? There is one card in the deck with absolutely nothing printed on the face! I'm sick of these card printers allowing their work to become so shoddy that such an obvious flub in the production goes unnoticed and we have to pay for it! Wahtever happened to taking pride in your product?

I'm outraged!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Reis,

You found the secret message!! David Blank!! (hehe)

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I can't seem to see whether it's on way or not too
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Stutzman's back design on these cards is gorgeous. It's so nice I'd put a poster of it on my wall in my cardroom if one were available.

The one-way back also is likely, whether its intentional or not who knows? Most decks have some sort of flaw that makes them one-way, however small it might be.

The other stuff about marked aces, secret messages, and other "mysteries" is unsubstantiated, and those who claim it to be a reality also swear not to reveal the details.
This makes it all far more likely that none of this extra stuff exists to begin with, and we're left with what we started with, which is an extremely beautiful deck of cards for those of us who notice such things!
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
"Drowned" obviously referred to his drowned alive TV special... I guess "Saved" referred to the fact that he wasn't gonna be able to set that record for holding his breath... Smile