The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Suggest the best self contained rising card effect in the market (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-09-12 13:21, plainman007 wrote:
Vlad >> I cant find APOCALYPSE card rise anywhere. Any link to it in any magic shop ?

Aron >> I clicked that link. I wonder how such a good product has but about 3 small lines of info and nothing else about the product. And the product is priceless. I mean literally no price mentioned on the website. No add to cart nothing. How do people make such websites that are baseless to its purpose ? I can understand if he is just selling them on a one to one basis so theres no shopping cart etc. But no price ???

Plainman007, It's in the journal titled Apocalypse. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am looking for the citation right now actually.

Namaste,
Vlad
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 22:14, ike_hill wrote:
I'm a fan of loop based variations myself

This.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi Vlad,

Am eager to hear from you. Have a show next week and hope to implement some form of a reliable card rise.

Thanks
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I have tried the Henry Evans, the Kundalini Rising, the Gary Plant, the Martini Magic, and the Upton-Smith (as built by Thomas Baxter). They are all good, but they all have different advantages and limitations. For a self-contained, reliable, and 0ff-the-sehlf gimmick, I would recommend Martini Magic's version of the Devano Deck.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Woland, please can you explain your reasons for coming to that conclusion?

Thanks.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Sure, Martino. I will explain myself, and without revealing too much, I hope.

The Devano-type deck is a very straightforward device for the purpose. It is not examinable. The device that I have that was made by Mr. Grams (Martini Magic) is very reliable. The cards rise in a nice, magical way, and the way that they rise can be varied a bit. I usually have 3 selected cards rise. You have to get the selections to the right place, but once you do that, the device works itself very naturally. The selections do not have to be forced, but they do have to be maneuvered into position.

The Upton-Smith and the Gary Plants versions are very different but require a similar physical handling in order to get the cards to rise. If you prefer an effect without using a frame or a houlette, then go with the Gary Plants version. I think the handling of these devices requires a bit more skill than the Devano-type device. And the Gary Plants version does require forcing the selections. The Upton-Smith device is not currently being manufactured, but in practice it is examinable. The Gary Plants device is examinable in most settings.

The Henry Evans device is in my opinion the best of its general type, and is examinable in most situations. (I would not let the I'm-going-to-figure-it-out know-it-all type of person examine it, though.)

Kundalini Rising is excellent, once you learn how to handle the device. The routine in which the card rises while the deck is held by the spectator is particularly attractive. With careful handling, it is examinable.

I think all of these methods are very good. If the original questioner was looking for a self-contained device that causes cards to rise, I think the Devano-type deck as made by Martini Magic fits the bill.

That's my current thinking. It reflects my limited card-handling skills. I would welcome being shown a better way of thinking about this important effect.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This one by Goshman is impressive:

http://www.goshmagic.com/remote-control-card-rise.html

It's been reduced to a little over $100. Looks like a deal... Smile

Doug
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That does look like a nice device, Dougini, but it is from "Gosh Magic, Inc.", a wholesaler in China, not Goshman or "Magic by Gosh." It reminded me of Angelo Carbone's "Notion of Motion."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yikes. China??? Buyer beware then. It's a known fact that a lot of what comes out of that country in inferior, and will break within a short time. Maybe that's why it's discounted? Just sayin'...
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Actually id put it this way. Id like a pack which I can have a duplicate pack of. So its better if this rising card pack which I buy is a contraption that I can fit onto any deck and start using so that when the cards wear out I can replace them and always have the duplicate packs for my particular routine. Or the second and more complicated option would be for the maker to send me a duplicate normal pack too. And when one of those gets soiled I'd have to order one more.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
You have a number of usable options. A Devano type deck such as the Martini Magic version would fit those particulars. The Harry Evans device would work. The David Solomon rising card effect from Gary Plant would meet your needs. So would Kundalini Rising.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 17:21, Woland wrote:
You have a number of usable options. A Devano type deck such as the Martini Magic version would fit those particulars.

Finally .. In This thread, it's the overwhelming favorite...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A Devano type deck was suggested here in this thread by Alan Munro on August 30 . . . . the Martini Magic version was first mentioned in this thread by Rick Green 3 weeks ago . . . .
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Where all do you get the Devano style deck ? Is it available off the shelves in the magic shops and called just the Devano Deck or is it sold under different names ?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
My recommendation would be to buy one from Martini Magic. His device includes what I consider to be an improvement over the originally described Devano deck mechanism. Mr. Grams has been making these decks for over 40 years. He calls his the "Martini Rising Cards."

If you want to see a Devano-type deck in action, there is very possibly no better performance than Don Alan's version for the incomparable Alma Cogan, which you can see herebeginning at about 2:55 (but if you watch from the beginning, you'll also see his classic Chop Cup routine, too.)
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
I have needed a Devano type deck for a while. Thanks for recommending Martini.
Besides this, it is probably a good idea to get a looper version too.
So maybe a Kundalini and a Martini deck would be the best. The Martini deck would
be good for a no-prep trick, the Kundalini for when you are prepared to loop it.
Thanks for the priceless advice.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Rising Card Deck, Martini version

simplest, easiest, as effective as any other version
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2013-04-08 12:34, sohaib wrote:
Rising Card Deck, Martini version
simplest, easiest, as effective as any other version

Just received this..It is great. Highly recommended. ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Has anyone more info on the card rise that Vlad mentioned from Apocalypse?

I would love to buy the set that it is included in, just want to be as sure as possoble I'm getting the correct one.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That should read, "...possible..." Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".