The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: The Red Deck (new Bicycle deck - thoughts?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Here's one major problem with trying to use these deck is real performance. There are borders on the back and none on the face. Reverse half the deck under the top card, a la one of my favorite effects, and bevel them just a little and you'll come to the same realization I did when I first played with them in the local shop.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I agree that the new decks with face colors to the edge limit your possibilities with tricks that rely on one or more reversed cards. And, to me, using one of these decks for regular tricks just alerts the audience to watch for something fake. Which is ironic, since you can only buy gaffes for 'normal' Bicycles. Smile
But I think they have their place. Their colors are dramatic, so I can see them fitting in with certain styles. For example, the black or red decks would be great for someone who specializes in dark magic. And any of the bright colors would be good for clowns or comedy magicians.
As for me, I'll probably stick with good old red and blue backed Bicycles. But I have ordered a few of the various colored decks to play with. After all, you can't have too many toys, right?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
So pretty soon, we'll have Black, Yellow, Red & Blue decks - any good packet tricks come to mind with these???
Mike Lowry
View Profile
New user
Canada
79 Posts

Profile of Mike Lowry
I don't personally use any of the decks other than standard. I own 2 packs of each color and such but the only thing I really use them for are to change the colors of spectator's selected cards and such. I get mixed reactions from using them, a lot of "those have to be trick cards". I personally don't care if they think that because they can fully examine them if they want to but I just think standard cards are less suspect to that kind of scrutiny. Plus I do a lot of signed card or mutilated card stuff so spending the extra bucks that the non standard decks would add up pretty quick for me. I like to buy those cartons of cards (9 packs) from Costco and go through those and mix in the colored cards here and there.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Kaylan, don't forget the pink and baby blue decks - they're reverse-color-to-the-edge decks, too!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Yes, but at least the back designs match up with them.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Kaylan, the magnificent red deck is fantastic in form, conception and appearance. I like to mix it up with the black deck - the constrasting is just amazing..
Kaylan, were you one of the audiences in Richard Osterlind's filming of MM Too DVDs? That experience must be one to stay in memory as Richard Osterlind is such a great mentalist!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just picked up a Red Deck today and I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the look of them. They're fun and will be a nice addition to the collection. Also, I thought it was a nice touch adding in the few gaff cards that come with this deck.

The new ideas I'm having for some new styles of color changes will keep me busy for a while.

Even the box has an extra added special something for performing a trick! Woo-hoo!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Hey, with these you can do convincing signed card to right arm vein! ala Cirss Angel's coin.
HMM
lol