The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Expanded Shells (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Who is currently making the best Morgan Silver Dollar Expanded Shell that completely covers. It seems most aren't deep enough.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GJo
I don't think there's a Morgan silver dollar shell from anyone that completely covers an insert coin.

That said, Mark Mason's JBPro Coin Line sells a very nice Morgan expanded shell.

I have found that the best fitting Morgan silver dollar shells are unexpanded shells in sets. Roy Kueppers sells a nice unexpanded Morgan silver dollar set. Probably Jamie Schoolcraft's unexpended shall sets are also quite good (but he no longer accepts custom orders).

Tango offers a "Perfect Shell Set" that claims full coverage, but you'd have to contact Marcelo directly to inquire about a Morgan Perfect Shell set.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Mark Mason's "Shell Shocked" sets featured a full coverage shell they referred to as "deep dish".
I had a set in Walking Liberties for a while but didn't care for the look of the shell edge.
By definition, in order to cover a full normal coin, the shell edge has to be thicker than one.
This makes it look off in comparison, and to my eye, more discrepant than a less than full coverage shell.

The Copeland full coverage shells have the same issue.
It's a tradeoff.

While I sold my Shell Shocked set, I still have my Copeland shells.

If you don't mind replicas, Bluether (not Blu-ther) makes a nice looking set with full coverage.

---

My question for you is "aren't deep enough" for what purpose?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, inigmntoya wrote
---

My question for you is "aren't deep enough" for what purpose?

I have a half dollar made by James Lewis years ago that was the best expanded shell I've ever seen. It makes a difference when sitting on a table. Don't know what his technique was but when using made all the difference.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I could be wrong, but I think the deep dish shells sold by James Lewis were made by Johnson. They didn’t cover completely. As mentioned above , complete coverage causes the shell to look too bulky compared to the normal coins being used.