The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Cigarette through pound coin moves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi guys.
Been thinking hard about making my switches in this effect much more convincing. What do you think at the moment- I perform standing up and normally surrounded.
I borrow a coin from someone to my left, taking it with my right hand. I shuttle pass it into my left, where I have the gimmicked coin. I hand this to a spectator to hold in front of me, while I ask them to light a cigarette. I then perform the effect, with the real coin finger palmed in the right. I then return the cigarette, and take the fake coin between the thumb and first finger of my right hand as I ask whos coin it is. I then do a one hand coin switch, dropping the real coin into my left hand, and holding the fake in right thumb palm. I feel this makes the switch better, and more concealed, as you can have the fingers more openly spread than if it were finger palmed. Oh, not very good at classic palm by the way.
Any suggestions would be good- unfortunately, don't normally perform with a topit.
Simon, 20, UK
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Wait a minute...you hand the gimmicked coin to a spectator to hold??? I wouldn't advise that.

When I performed this effect years ago (when I smoked), I would borrow the coin from a spectator and take it in my right hand (which had the gimmick hidden in a finger palm). I'd ask for a cigarette, do a one-handed (DeManche) switch transferring the switched gimmick coin to my left hand, and accept the cigarette with my now apparently freed-up right hand (finger palming the borrowed coin). This gave me a reason to transfer the coin and effect the secret exchange in the first place.

From this point on, I would perform the penetration, hand back the cigarette, switch out the coin, and finish the effect.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The best handling for the effect, that I've seen, is by Bob King of Rochester, New York.
He uses Sol Stone's Soft Sleeve technique in the routine. I couldn't spot the sleeving at all, even though I had seen his lecture before.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Actually not that bad handing the coin to a spectator to hold- they are distracted by the idea of lighting a cigarette, and takes away the possibility of a switch. Derren Brown uses this method in Pure Effect. Oh, and the cigarette through pound coin gimmick is actually pretty hard to tell from a real pound coin- I always have to check before I spend a pound! I think in the US the gimmicked coin doesn't have a rear side- in the UK the coin can be examined briefly if need be.
Just wondering if you had any thoughts on a smother return.
Thanks, Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Sorry that was meant to be 'smoother' return! Just wondering where I could find out about the soft sleeving technique- sounds useful, should brush up on my sleeving technique anyway.
Thanks again, Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Simon,

I haven't worked the effect in some time, what with cigarettes being linked to Satan,the extinction of the leopard, and the coming of the Apocalypse here in America. However, I have some definite tips for you:

At the end of the routine, whatever switch you do, it's better to table the coin after the switch rather than handing it to someone to examine. That way, they think it's their idea to examine the coin, and thus clearly do not suspect a switch (or else why would they ask?) Appear reluctant, then accede to their request.

The best switch-in I've ever seen is by Garrett Thomas, a young coinworker from the U.S. I don't think he's released it yet, but watch for his video from Danny Archer. Basically, he took my "twist" move, and took all the hard work out of it. Now, there's nothing to see. Beautiful.

I'd suggest you work on the palm-to-palm, which necessitates the dreaded classic palm, and then some. But it's worth the work. Derek Dingle used to use it to switch in and out in this trick, with an amusing touch of misdirection: He'd hand the lit cigarette and the coin to the spectator, the cigarette a little in advance of the coin. The poor spectator, afraid of being burnt, was forced to focus on the cigarette, and never caught the palm-to-palm.

I'd also suggest you check out Dingle's "New Wave" cigarette thru quarter in Richard's Almanac for the most diabolical routine ever.

Finally, I had a friend who did the trick when he was tablehopping in a local bar and restaurant. His presentation went along the lines of "something anyone can do with a cigarette and a coin..." Well, one night I come into the bar, and he's doing it for someone. I take the seat next to her, and palm my gimmick. At the end, she's genuinely trying to get the cigarette to melt thru the coin. Finally, she turns to me and says, "Can you do this? He says all you got to do is rub the cigarette on the coin." Well, who could resist? So I follow her directions, and I push the cigarette thru the coin. Her reaction? "Damn, I'm the only person who can't do this!"
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Thanks Curtis, thats very useful. I agree with the idea to table the coin, but obviously in a standing situation I can't do this- any thoughts? Sometimes I warn them that the middle of the coin may still be hot, and this focusses attention on the coin that I return to them, rather than on me as I ditch the gimmick. This has mixed results though.
Looking forward to the Archer video- any idea where I'll be able to find it? Need to do alot of work on my coin technique. Oh, well, back infront of the mirror!
Thanks,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Table-ing the switched out (now regular) coin, is the perfect guise to allow them to examine their coin. This is just the right amount of psychological misdirection (used at its best timing) to now 'say' that the coin can be examined.

Think about the flow... Their coin is borrowed (the only coin used in their thinking), the cig is pushed through the center of THEIR coin, and then THEIR coin is tabled, for them to examine. As soon as they pick up their coin, I KNOW I CAN NOW DITCH THE GAFFED COIN. Its the perfect use of subtlety and misdirection.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I know this is a really old thread, I hope you guys don't mind me bringing it back to the top.

I've been watching JJ Sanvert's handling of his cig through coin routine and am very impressed. This is something that I've wanted to do for many years, but have never found a handling that I've liked.

I'm now in search of a cig through pound coin. I've found many cigs through dollars/quarters and euros, but I can't find a cig through pound.

Any ideas of where to go look would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Try here: http://www.magictricks.co.uk/prodshow.as......=showall

hoe that helps
Justin Hanes
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cheers,

I'll take a look.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Alexander Cagliostro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Cagliostro
I'm refering back to the old part of the thread here!
I've read in Derren Brown's 'Pure Effect' how he suggests letting the spectator hold the gaffed coin briefly to allay fear of it being switched and agree with his thoughts on the psychology of this.
Michael Ammar has a handling for this effect and also puts the coin in the spec.s hand, well not quite....
he places it on the back of their hand. This precludes any fiddling on their part but still leaves the impression that it has been handled right before the penetration.
His handling is in 'the magic of Michael Ammar' (book) and on his DVD of the magic castle lecture.