The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Chinese Bit vs Hopping Halves (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Can't decide which to buy ... they both look so good.

Hopping Halves ends with the hands clean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCrh6X1H6I

However Chinese Bit boasts the coins can be handed for inspection (no switches).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6LGr4Vqj4

for me I guess it would have to be which routine requires less switching in and out of coins.
Any advice on this one guys?
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
These are two different effects to start with. You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

You end up "clean" with hopping halves, because the whole routine is based on taking coins out of your hands, they keep "hopping" back until they all vanish. You're clean because there is nothing left in your hand. There is nothing left in your hands and no reason to hand anything out.

Chinese bit is a version of "brass/copper/silver" and you are moving gimmicks coins (along with real coins) in and out of your hands, ending up with three clean coins.

Like I say, two different routines.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I agree with Al, different gimmicks.
If you can buy only one, my recommendation is to buy HH, it will provide you with more versatile gimmicks, that you could use separately. Chinese bit or CSB while a great gimmick is not as flexible to be used separately.

If you decide for Chinese Bit of CSB, look around because there are several manufacturers that offer different combinations of coins, Astor have one in colorful chinese coins, Johnson, Tango, and others have the regular Chinese, Mexican and half dollar, and also you have the similar option of two coppers and 1 silver. Schoolcraft and Lassen have also very nice CSB, both are more pricey but they have great sets.
Tango has a new SCB in Dollar size with Chinese, Eisenhower and a Copper bullion

Hope this helps
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I think the reason the author is asking for a comparison here is because the two linked presentations appear very similar at first glance - have some coins - put in pocket, change around - coins are still there. (I'm way oversimplifying on purpose.)

Rather, I think it's better to think about the *kinds* of routines you can do with these two sets. The CSB is a bit more limited (I believe) given the nature of the gaffs, but it does enable you to do do fun international versions of things like 3-fly, coins across, coins through table, etc.

HH is more focused around Copper-Silver transformations, from my perspective, but it would be best for you to do some research on your own watching people do routines. I do agree that the gimmicks are more versatile and transferable to other routines.

It's also worth pointing out that there are "solid CSB" sets you can find that don't have a hole in the coin that allow for slightly different routines, but they're rarer. Some prefer the hole, since you can see through. You can also find a 2 copper, 1 silver set, which is again similar (solid), and can help avoid some spectator confusion - as happened in the second clip several times. 2 colors is easier for some people to track.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:

[snip]

It's also worth pointing out that there are "solid CSB" sets you can find that don't have a hole in the coin that allow for slightly different routines, but they're rarer. Some prefer the hole, since you can see through. You can also find a 2 copper, 1 silver set, which is again similar (solid), and can help avoid some spectator confusion - as happened in the second clip several times. 2 colors is easier for some people to track.

That's the beauty of Chinese Bit. There is a hole in one of the coins, yet every time you remove the half dollar, there is no hole to be seen.

Chinese Bit is quite different in gaff than other C/S/B sets.

Eddie Gibson makes a nice one (for a matter of fact, I think he originated the set).

Won't say more than that, else I'd give away the difference. Let's just say the coin with the hole, when taking it from your hand, with the other side showing, doesn't have a hole.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Tonsofquestions ...
thank you - you got the thread question exactly right
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Just received Hopping Halves - $-Penny
Absolutely fantastic.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Actually Al Desmond got the thread question right. Seems like most responded to you about HH and CSB coin gaffs and effects. Chinese Bit is a different gaff altogether and is much more deceptive than the other two mentioned. However which you should use depends a lot on how far along you are with your coin magic.

Jim
Jack Skipton
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
Chinese bit looked good but that patter made me vomit in my mouth a bit.