The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Darkened Morgan Shell problem (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Hi all. I have noticed that my Schoolcraft Morgan shell, as part of a set, has gotten substantially darker over the years now to the point where it is distinctly different from the others. I contacted Jamie and he suggested 0000 steel wool to be used lightly. Thoughts on this before I try it, and/or any other suggestions?
David
davidjcomedy.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Can you post pictures? What do the other coins look like that you're trying to match?
If they're not all new/shiny themselves you may need to clean them all.
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
Try a ink pen eraser first.
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
He has advertised that he darkened coins using oxidants, etc. The problem with artificially darkening coins is they continue to take on effects of the oxidants long after the procedure. That, or the fake patina just "falls off" in patches after time. Best to go the painstaking route and find matched coins that are aged naturally. Unless some other oxidizing factor, like a leather purse, is involved, this problem will not exist.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I bought a Morgan set "Shell Shocked" set over year ago. My shell didn't match the coins at all!
I cleaned the coins and shell and degreased them with acetone. Then dipped them in a Sulfur of Liver bath until black.
Then washed in a baking soda bath to halt oxidation. Then buffed them with baking soda damp with my fingers, then finished with light buff with 0000 steel wool.
It worked beautifully! Try that. It's easy to do.
Later
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
makscopes
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of makscopes
You may want to try a Magic Eraser. I think it's a safer solution than steel wool.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
For my taste, I do NOT like steel wool because it makes it like a "satin" or "brushed" look. I've never used eraser, but I'm sure it's less abrasive. I have been thinking of trying "magic eraser" in the cleaning department. But also don't discount just massaging baking soda with your fingers or a dampened Q-tip dipped in the soda for detail buffing.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
makscopes
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of makscopes
I could be wrong but it seems that a Magic Eraser is about the same abrasiveness as baking soda. Perhaps slightly more.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I use this. The wadding is far more gentle than even the finest steel wool.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g9gAAOSwoydWkErR/s-l300.jpg
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
I use a combination of things and try to test first on a small area of a similar spare coin whenever possible. I'll use baking soda, an eraser, but most often I use a liquid silver polish and a jewelers cloth. I always use sparingly because I don't like my coins to be too clean or shiny.
But to answer the original question, I've used 0000 steel wool many, many times and never had any problems. Just set the coin on a folded towel and don't apply too much pressure. You're much more likely to damage a shell by pressing too hard and distorting it than the steel wool damaging it.