The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Shim for Okitto Coin Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I do period magic as a 13th century wizard who traveled to China with the Polo family. Period coins are difficult and expensive from this time, so I've opted to use 10 yen coins when possible (the ones with the dragon on one side).

I would like to use these coins in the Okitto coin box, but they are about half way between the sizes of the quarter and half dollar (US). I was thinking of making a brass ring to go into the box to act as a shim. Anyone ever try this? Any suggestions?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Oh you mean a shim as in spacer, not shim as the usual kind for a coin.

I don't know much about the proper-looking Chinese coins, but I do think I've seen them before in all sorts of sizes. So perhaps it's possible to find them in the right size for your box.

That said, I personally think it would be odd if a spectator noticed the brass ring - it makes the whole box seem more suspicious, especially if it doesn't match perfectly. However I do know that some manufacturers will do custom boxes (Roy Kueppers and Tango come to mind), and would probably be wiling to do a box in the size you need for your coins. It's probably about the same amount of work as doing the brass ring to be the correct inner/outer diameters, anyway.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1695 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, malaki wrote:
I do period magic as a 13th century wizard who traveled to China with the Polo family. Period coins are difficult and expensive from this time, so I've opted to use 10 yen coins when possible (the ones with the dragon on one side).

I would like to use these coins in the Okitto coin box, but they are about half way between the sizes of the quarter and half dollar (US). I was thinking of making a brass ring to go into the box to act as a shim. Anyone ever try this? Any suggestions?

I've never seen this before. I'm sure it's possible. It would probably be easier to find coins to fit your box. OR you could contact Craig Ousterling here on the Café and see if he can make you a custom box to fit your coins.

Let us know how it works outs for you.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
You can get a brass Okito box that works with Chinese 1 Yen coins in most Chinese Magic Shops.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
You can have an Okito Box Custom made to fit your coins. I have had a few made and the person who can do this for you is a Café member.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley