The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Hopping Half w/Quarter and New Dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3632 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14397

This looks interesting. It would do away with the need to explain why you are using and English Penny (not a common coin in the U.S.)

Anybody know how good the quality is?
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Like any tango set, the quality of this set is pretty decent. It depends on what you are looking for, but it will accomplish the effect and the [s will be able to fit on other regular coins if you happen to get the expanded version.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I highly recommend the Johnson HH set. Then again, I don't like working with quarters - too small, and besides, English pennies are simply a large copper coin which happen to be the same size as a Kennedy half Smile

I've never felt the need to use coins which are immediately recognizable as 'common'. A coin is a coin. If I use something really out there, such as a copper round, I simply let the specs handle them.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 09:00, CarpetShark wrote:

I've never felt the need to use coins which are immediately recognizable as 'common'. A coin is a coin. If I use something really out there, such as a copper round, I simply let the specs handle them.

However if you want to show some truly impromptu coin magic, there's nothing like using coins borrowed from a spectator. And I don’t believe you will find a spectator who has either half dollars or dollar coins in their pockets!

Of course if you are planning to do some coin magic using coins that no one watching you has seen before isn't usually a problem. But to be able to have someone hand you their own quarters (or dimes, nickels, etc.) and then perform magic with them can't be beat for a quick, unexpected coin show!

Jim
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3632 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I think there is great value in using coins that people are familiar with. I had a co worker a while back Google English Penny Half dollar magic trick and somehow found the hopping half. If they Google dollar coin quarter magic trick they would be hard pressed to find it.

I also think psychologically it is better to use familiar items when you can. Just seems more natural to me. I have done the hopping half trick for years using the English Penny with no real problems, but I like the idea of more familiar coins.

I ordered this trick from Penguin and received it yesterday. The quality sucks. The shell does not fit well at all. You could not do even a cursory show of the front and back initially as they would see the way too oversize shell. Not near the fit and finish of the Johnson product.