The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: "Slippery Sam" Question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I'll try to remain vague out of respect for not exposing too much.

I'm considering purchasing a "Slippery Sam" style gaff. I understand the basic "construction" of the SS, but have not had an opportunity to handle one. I see that there are "locking" and "non-locking" versions. Based on comments I've read here, I have a pretty good idea what locks the locking model. It seems like a very attractive feature, but my primary question concerns the "non-locking" version. Unless I've misunderstood the workings, it seems like the "non-locking" version would be considerably more challenging to handle because you need to hold the gaff in place (unless held in the proper position in which gravity would assist rather than hinder). It seems like there's considerably more risk of the gaff hitting the floor without the locking feature. Would anyone who has experience working with these coins like to weigh in on whether the non-locking version is more of a challenge to handle without the gaff accidentally moving (or worse, falling) out of place?

EDIT: I did some more reading up on these and it appears that what I described above is not technically a true SS configuration, but is commonly referred to as SS?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
My nl ss is magnetic Smile
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I'm narrowing down my preference of what to buy. It looks like a "slippery" ] is probably going to work best for my needs and price range. A true, pivoting SS would be great, but price point is a but high for me.

I did more reading here and apparently the locking feature for some models allows the rim to "grab" and hold it in place (maybe I'm not describing that well, but still trying to remain vague). I guess even non-locking versions could be held in place magnetically. That would prevent it from just falling off, but still not be considered "locked."

I think a Tango "slippery" ] is probably the one I'll go with. I'll contact Mr. Tango to ask about the specs, but I think it will be my best option.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I prefer a non-locking SS.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4912 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Depends On what You are doing Foe Copper-silver Non Locking! For 3 Fly Locking! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I went to the Tango website to research the ] and saw that the price for a half dollar T.U.C. is really reasonable. I've been reading so many good things about the T.U.C. Now I'm thinking that might be my next purchase.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 16:01, magicbob116 wrote:
I've been reading so many good things about the T.U.C. Now I'm thinking that might be my next purchase.

If you get this, make sure the m****t is round - not square. Some sellers are still selling the older version.

Also, listen to Dave (which is good advice generally - at least about coin magic Smile ):
You can do so much with a C/S coin and you definitely want a non-locking SS or a shell with that. If you are trying to put together a three fly routine, then that is where a locking (or magnetic) SS makes sense.

Alan
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
And nowhere else. Don't forget that. You can only use a locking set for 3fly. The gaff doesn't work otherwise. M'kay?
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
What can you do with a locking SS that can't be done with a non-locking version, or a plain old [ for that matter? I am just curious because I have never used one and can't for the life of me think of something that it can do that a regular [ can't do.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4912 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-02 20:55, tomsk192 wrote:
And nowhere else. Don't forget that. You can only use a locking set for 3fly. The gaff doesn't work otherwise. M'kay?

You can use it for outer stuff! I have a Fingertip coins to pocket, A fingertip Gadabout coins, And 2 fingertip Wild coin handleings Using it! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 22:09, David Neighbors wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 20:55, tomsk192 wrote:

You can use it for outer stuff! I have a Fingertip coins to pocket, A fingertip Gadabout coins, And 2 fingertip Wild coin handleings Using it! Smile

And I sure hope those are all in your new book by Mark Tams, David!!

Thanks!

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4912 Posts

Hi Jim,
No there not! Smile BUT they are In Print! Smile Well 3 of them any way! The 2 TH. Fingertip wild coin Handleing Is not in print Yet!

The outer 3 are in my Softbound fight Plans Book ! Along with 3 Three fly handleings! ( 2 one touch, And a No touch Handleing)

P.M. me For more Info! And I will try to get back to you As soon As I get back from The Magic Con.! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 21:36, Gr8gorilla wrote:
What can you do with a locking SS that can't be done with a non-locking version, or a plain old [ for that matter? I am just curious because I have never used one and can't for the life of me think of something that it can do that a regular [ can't do.

A locking SS can be flipped casually in the hand to show only one coin. You can't do that with the other two options. You wouldn't ordinarily do that with a C/S coin, but I guess you could.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
I think you would be happier with TUC, it is similar but much more versatile than a slip sam IMO.
I may be mistaken but I believe a Tango also sells a copper/silver TUC, silver outside and copper inside. That may give you even more options.
Of course, eventually you just have to own all of them. Smile
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I casually flip my un expanded and expanded lassen shells on coins to show just one coin all the time. Why wouldn't you do that? I have never had them separate. I get the fact that it can be slid to produce a coin but I can do that with a regular coin and shell using the fingertip deshell taught on covert coins.

No one has as of yet told me one thing a SS can do that a standard shell cannot.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I casually flip my un expanded and expanded lassen shells on coins to show just one coin all the time. Why wouldn't you do that? I have never had them separate. I get the fact that it can be slid to produce a coin but I can do that with a regular coin and shell using the fingertip deshell taught on covert coins.

No one has as of yet told me one thing a SS can do that a standard shell cannot.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 16:29, Gr8gorilla wrote:

1. You can't flip a non-m******c or non-locking SS, and

2. Lassen shell sets have a "vacuum" fit that most other shells do not have, so no fair to other shells! (I agree with you that you can lightly flip the Lassen shell and coin sets though.)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yeah, the fact that the inner coin cannot move sideways in a shell keeps it in. Perhaps partly by vacuum and also by centripital force or inertia.
But those same forces will usually cause the inner coin to fly out if using an SS. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the added precision of a Lassen non-locking SS could survive a flip.

You can produce the hidden coin much easier and more openly with an SS vs. a shell in certain handlings, but you pay a price for that in that the SS coin can look very thin if you are not careful with angles. But most folks prefer a full shell. They probably outsell SS's 100 to 1 but I am only guessing at those numbers.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Ok now I think I get it. There are some things that the SS makes easier but they most likely can still be done with a standard [.

Would anyone object to this statement?
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Well, I took the plunge and ordered a T.U.C. AND a slippery ]. I've got plenty of standard ]s but I found a good deal on the SS ] and figured it was worth experimenting with different handlings that it may facilitate. I actually went a little crazy and ordered a Captain & Coke 2.0 as well. I can't wait to get these and start working with them.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com