The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Old Time EX[s. Who made them? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
One of my prize possessions is a 1964 Kennedy Halve EX[.
I bought this from Ed Schuman (former President of SAM) in about 1981-1982.

This EX[ has perfect relief on the face, and full coverage on the edge. I've never seen one like it.

From what I have studied, [s like this are probably two part construction.

This is the most incredible [ I own, and I own a lot from today's top gaffers.

So, who was making these back in the 70s and early 80s?

What is your opinion on the overall look and quality compared to today's [s.

Just interested in the history. I know the process has advanced, but has it improved?

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4912 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I think Johnson's was makeing a 2 Part shell back them! And thay did make some deep dish shells, where the shell covered the full coin ! So it could be one of them! So has it Improved??? I can not speak for all the gaffs out there! But I know Todd's Has! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
David,
I had a Johnson shell from back then, but it was clad, and eventually came apart.
I'm wondering about Silver shells, though Johnson may have made them back then. Did anyone else?
I have many of Todd's EX[ sets, and I think they are very rugged, and are very nice, but I'm thinking about the full coverage EX[ concept with Silver coins. I'm not even saying it's important in performance, but it is intriguing.

Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I have a Connie Haden shell which pretty much fits your description.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4912 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea If it's Silver It could be a Connie Haden! I had a ben franklen shell that was a C.H. shell!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
There's a questionable trade-off for pursuing the "holy grail" of exp. [ - that is to say, one that covers the entire edge of an insert coin. That trade-off is that the [ will be noticeably taller than any regular coin it lies next to on your hand or on a mat.

Furthermore, if the [ DOES cover the entire edge it will not look good (around the edges) if the nested set is viewed from the reverse side.

A [ that just covers the edge down to the beginning of the [lower] beveled edge of the insert coin is easily fabricated, and is the maximum that one should want (IMO).

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
I agree with TW!
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 13:07, Thomas Wayne wrote:
There's a questionable trade-off for pursuing the "holy grail" of exp. [ - that is to say, one that covers the entire edge of an insert coin. That trade-off is that the [ will be noticeably taller than any regular coin it lies next to on your hand or on a mat.

Furthermore, if the [ DOES cover the entire edge it will not look good (around the edges) if the nested set is viewed from the reverse side.

A [ that just covers the edge down to the beginning of the [lower] beveled edge of the insert coin is easily fabricated, and is the maximum that one should want (IMO).

TW

I think you answered the wrong question in this thread.

your answer...I'm sure goes here in this thread
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=202&8