The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Whats the Difference in Flippers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Quick question. What is the difference in a magnetic flipper and a gravity flipper. IS the gravity flipper the one that has the band.

I ask because I have a flipper held with a band that just falls into position. I had recently seen a coins across in the specs hand that uses a flipper. The flipper is actually placed on the specs hand open. They lightly toss into air and the deal is done. However, I can not do this with my flipper. The pressure from the band makes it pop up like a tent. Will a magnetic flipper lay flat without help to pin it down?

Thanks,
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey Dorian,

You're looking at the difference in a traditional flipper and a gravity flipper. A gravity flipper will lie flat on a hand or table while a traditional flipper will not. Also, a magnetic flipper can be either one if I'm not mistaken. Dan Watkins has an article on it, I don't have the link...

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
I do not own a gravity flipper, just a traditional, so I was wondering what prevents the gravity flipper from just opening when you do not want it to? If there isn't the same tension from bands like the regular flipper, what keeps it closed?
Benjamin Dove
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
56 Posts

Profile of Benjamin Dove
I want to get a flipper. Its quite useful for coin tricks, right?

Benjamin D
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 12:51, dlachance wrote:
Quick question. What is the difference in a magnetic flipper and a gravity flipper. IS the gravity flipper the one that has the band.

I ask because I have a flipper held with a band that just falls into position. I had recently seen a coins across in the specs hand that uses a flipper. The flipper is actually placed on the specs hand open. They lightly toss into air and the deal is done. However, I can not do this with my flipper. The pressure from the band makes it pop up like a tent. Will a magnetic flipper lay flat without help to pin it down?

Thanks,
Dorian

All the flippers I am familiar with use bands.
Conventional Flippers are under quite a bit of tension, and usually will not lie flat on a table(unless the band is very stretched out).

Gravity Flippers by design have less tension on the band, and will lie flat on a table, or hand.

Either one can be magnetic. When someone refers to a magnetic flipper, they are usually talking about a Flipper that has a magnetic shim built into it.
These can be used for specific effects, like coin through card.

There is also an older version of the flipper that was made by Bob Swaddling which uses a magnet built into the coin and another key coin with an opposing magnet to open the flipper. I believe Mark Mason has reintroduced this gaff.

I hope this helps.

narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 12:51, dlachance wrote:

Thanks,
Dorian

Before I obtained my gravity flipper(s), I was having this same problem with my traditional flipper. One simple way to work around this "tent effect" (if the routine is in your hands), is to keep the flipper open by holding the edges with your index and pinky finger (similar to a back palm, but with the 2nd and 3rd fingers beneath the open flipper). A better solution, however, is to just use a bigger, pre-stretched band. Make sure you're using the correct sized band, too. (My very first flipper was a clad Kennedy half from Tango, and they sent me quarter sized bands.) I've also heard of people making suitable bands from balloons, but I've never tried this. Although I don't really touch my traditional flipper anymore, once I installed a larger, pre-stretched band, it worked just as well as my gravity flipper.

Hoping it Helped,
Kyle Czarnecki
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
Changing to a larger band may make your regular flipper into a gravity. I had this problem and was directed to an Orthodonist and get a larger "braces" rubberband. It really helped.

larrylegal
The only thing that keeps a gravity together is your finger, otherwise it opens up which is the advantage of the gravity flipper. No "flicking" it open
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Speaking rubber band, for frequent performers, when the rubber band breaks you are in trouble.
Thus I found it wiser to cut long thin balloons to rubber band shape with scissors and place three of them as a replacement to one single orthodontist rubber band.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
You should read this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=202&65
There is a lot of info here on this subject. Personally I'd say get a Johnson first
and try it with the rubber bands mentioned in the above thread or as Lawrence O recommends try it with thee balloon bands. If you like the feel and the way it handles THEN I would suggest going to a more expensive Professional Gravity flipper.

Best of luck to you,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
No flicking is an advantage, but isn't it a disadvantage that you can't handle the coin as freely as a traditional flipper such as tossing from hand to hand or on the table for fear of it opening? Or is this not an issue for anyone who uses gravity flippers?
Quote:
larrylegal
The only thing that keeps a gravity together is your finger, otherwise it opens up which is the advantage of the gravity flipper. No "flicking" it open
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 23:12, larrylegal wrote:
No flicking is an advantage, but isn't it a disadvantage that you can't handle the coin as freely as a traditional flipper such as tossing from hand to hand or on the table for fear of it opening? Or is this not an issue for anyone who uses gravity flippers?
Quote:
larrylegal

My gravity Flipper closes when you toss it in the air, or from hand to hand. Gravity flippers still use a rubber band. They just don't have as much tension on them as a standard Flipper. They are easier to open, but still close on their own.
I haven't tried coin through table, so I can't tell you whether that works or not. I would imagine that you might have to adapt your ctt for the gravity flipper, because you might want to toss it a little gentler and from a lower height.
ToHan
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of ToHan
Hello.

Different flippers for different uses – my experience:

The old type –fast locking – has its advance when you perform with the coins in your hands or want the spectator to handle it.

The advances of the gravity is when you are sitting behind the table, you can slow down the routine as you can lay it open on the close up pad. There are no fast moves. Pick up the coin(s) and it’s closed and keep it in the bottom of the coin stack and you can open it whenever you want. This is my favorite and with classic palm you can perform miracles with this coin. I never toss this coin on the table as you can hear a sound from it. (Tension of the band)

Magnetic flipper are mostly for “quick tricks” I think, coin thru effects.

Torstein
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
I agree Torstein.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Torstein
I'm not sure I fully agree with all your analysis but I may be wrong. At any rate, you're making interesting points. I'll see how they apply to the performance of my routines in an attempt to improve on them further.

Thanks for the idea of offering a different angle.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations