The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Preparing the Johnson flipper for use - recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Folks,
I picked up a Johnson flipper to start working on some of Hooser's work in DesTROYers and get a feel for this type of routine. It's a great book, btw. Before I make the financial jump and consider something made by Jamie or even consider Kohler's set when it's released in the uncertain future, I wanted to get a Johnson set and put in the time to work a routine and get a better feel for this kind of tool, how to use it and what it's trying to create.

So I received the Johnson set the other day. Instructions were not included, but I trust the online magic shop owner and I believe this to be a Johnson set. So basically I have shXXX and the inner two pieces (large and small) held together by a band.

I noticed that when put together without glue and used, there is no flipping. From information in DesTROYers and some posts around the Café, it seems the band is too tight so I'll need to stretch out the band a bit and rather than yanking on it, I have it around a couple sharpies and will leave it there for a day or two. We'll see how that works.

But I have questions about attaching the inner combo part to the shXXX. I found several suggestions as to how to attach the smaller piece which of course is banded to the larger piece.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Once I hear of the need to use superglue and the reality of having to pry it back out with a screwdriver to replace a band, I move slowly. The owner of the magic shop said to use superglue but then I read in one of Werner's posts (sad that he's gone) to not use superglue. Jaxon said to use gel superglue.

For those using a non-gravity flipper such as the Johnson in a working situation regularly or those who just know from experience, what do you recommend? What adhesive do you use? Will a couple of dots in the center of the small piece work or do you make a line. Also, any tips on changing a rubberband and prying out the small piece glued to the shXXX?

Thanks as always in advance.
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Not sure if this response answers your question, but please clarify me as necessary. Glue is not necessary. I would not recommend using a permanent adhesive. I use a poster mount adhesive (might be similar to 'blue tack' or 'wiz tack') Its much like used chewing gum, but not permanent. Strong enough, but not permanent. Before using this I'd used wax. However, I kept the flipper in my pocket and my body heat softend the wax too much and......

don't need much. Also, I've applied a small piece of paper to the inside of where the flipper closes. This holds the flap open very slightly to enable me to pull open the flap with my second finger (to avoid the wrist flick movement).
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2005 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I would not use glue as already stated. You could end up damaging the shell trying to pry the little piece off. I use double stick tape, it's strong enough yet not real hard to take off if replacing the rubberband.

Since I own the gravity flipper, my regular flipper basically collects dust. The main reason for this is because it doesn't open up with a smooth move.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks all.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I have gone through the same trouble with a Peace Dollar made by (?).

The best thing is 3M Double stick tape. That's double sided tape. Important; there are two kinds, Permanent and nonPermanent. I used the Permanent and it has never failed. When the band needs replacing (one day) the tape is not all that permanent and will yeild to a little force. You can try the non-perm and your milage amy vary.

The flip is controlled by the size of the band. My 1$ came with band larger than those for a folding half or quarter. Even so, I had to put it round the coin twice to get the gimmick to stay put. The Flipping move opens it out fine. If your coin is a half dollar, I don't know why the band doesn't work properly. You do need to be sure that the smaller part of the gimmick is pressed well against the shxxxx so the other half can move. Hope this is helpful.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
Don't be afraid to use super glue. you don't need to pry out the insert, just drop a little bit of nail polish remover into the shell and give it a minute; it wil completely dissolve the super glue. Then, the small piece will pop right out. I like super glue because I have had a number of performances where the flipper slipped out of my hand and hit the floor. With other adhesives the insert can come dislodged and fall out, but I've dropped my coin on tile floors and the coin has been OK because of the super glue.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I'm not a big fan of the superglue, but Rickufta makes some good points. My only recommendation would be to use it sparingly. When I was experimenting with different adhesion methods I put waaaaay too much superglue on the coin and had the devil's time prying it loose. Of course, nail polish remover probably would have helped considerably. I guess hindsight is always 20/20! As for the elastic band, my suggestion is to pick yourself up some 'light' elastic bands from a dental supply company and throw out the ones that come standard with the flipper. I ordered mine from jawproducts.com and they work great. Your flipper will open easier, lie flatter, and still snap shut when you need it to.
I've actually got two flippers...a Johnson and a Barber Half from Schoolcraft. The Johnson is the one I carry with me everywhere I go and it's held up like a trooper. The Schoolcraft is a dream come true, but I'm VERY careful where I use it. If I dropped that baby on the floor I'd be crying my eyes out!
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I use Contact Cement. And "two" rubber bands. Work with the coin a while to break it in after replacing the rubber bands, and it works perfectly.

ACE