The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: UK Coin gaffs vs the Treasury (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
poire
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of poire
Does anyone know what the position is with coin gaffers in the UK particularly, and the legal position of actually cutting a coin? The Treasury position is that you need permission to cut a coin and when I applied they say they never grant permission (don't worry I didn't mention coin magic!). So, do coin magicians merely hope no-one there finds out? What would be the penalty?
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Up until a few years ago, you could still be hung for treason and that never happened so I shouldn't worry. I don't think eddie Gibson is public enemy number one for making coin uniques.

I guess it's one of those laws they turn a blind eye to. I really cant imagine anyone ever prosecuting you, that said I did read that there is an old law that would mean if caught they have the right to chop your hand off. Just kidding
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Eddie Gibson has been to court many of times.

Matt
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I stand corrected then, I just hope he still has both hand. who took him to court?
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Paul,

You used the term coin "uniques" in your above post and I wondered if that is a British expression for coin "gaffs"?

Matt... do you know what, if any, penalty Eddie Gibson received?

Regards, Steve
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Yachanin: coin unique is a specific gimmick.see it here: http://www.eddiegibsonmagic.com/eurocoinunique.htm
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I think that the law is generally not used, but 30 or so years ago a local guy was prosecuted for making shells. He had been warned by the police several times though.

What did the earlier post about people not being charged with treason ?
The charge was used during and after the war and one writer had to live in America as the case was still open !
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Eddieloughran: Your right. But I heard some where that it was still law up until a few years ago (I could easily be very wrong on this), there must of been acts of treason committed in the last 10 years.... back on topic

you'd think the police would have better things to do with there time than pursue coin gaff makers. I recently made my own karate coin from a £2 coin. I guess I'd better beware who I show it to.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Thanks Paul. Nice effect, but I wish coin uniques was an expression for coin gaffs... it has a nice ring to it Smile

Regards, Steve
poire
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of poire
Matt - can you say anything about what happened to Eddie? He is, after all, still producing his effects...
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2006-09-24 14:53, Paul Wingham wrote:
you'd think the police would have better things to do with there time than pursue coin gaff makers.

On the contrary, the police force in the UK will happily assign numerous officers to petty, insignificant 'crimes'. That's what they do mainly. Serious crime means actual hard work and we all know that they just can't be bothered with that.

"Someone's cutting up coins?!? Get the riot van immediately! That attempted murder case will just have to wait!" Smile

Dave.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Believe it's no longer ilegal - I saw a sign on one of those "turn the handle and turn your penny onto a memento of Center Parcs" machines recently, with all the details on it.
Bruce
poire
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of poire
In the end I just rang Eddie and asked him what happened. The police came and busted his premises and took away the machines and coins. Eventually the Mint sent the police a letter saying it was OK, but wouldn't give Mr Gibson a copy of the letter to show police in future busts.

So that makes it OK!
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Poire, anychance of PMing me Eddie's phone number as I want to order some of his effects but he will not answer my emails?
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Dave (Forrest) - you've got it right there. How come they can catch 100% of speeders on any road they choose with, but just 1-10% of burglars? The only serious crime with a decent detection rate is murder. But burgalry, mugging and anti-social behaviour which make a hell of a lot of peoples' live a misery is rampant - and nothing is being done about it.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 11:21, mrsmiles wrote:
Dave (Forrest) - you've got it right there. How come they can catch 100% of speeders on any road they choose with, but just 1-10% of burglars? The only serious crime with a decent detection rate is murder. But burgalry, mugging and anti-social behaviour which make a hell of a lot of peoples' live a misery is rampant - and nothing is being done about it.

I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with anything except 2 things when it comes to many law enforcement agencies, exceptions notwithstanding of course.

1. Ease of apprehension
2. Probability of conviction

With speed limit violators it is just a simple matter of waiting and pointing a radar gun. Easy to stop with the proof to convict.

With coin uniquers (I like that term too) it is just a matter of knocking on the door and seizing property. Most cases require man & brain power to solve.

It's sad and in many cases reprehensible, but there it is; ease of apprehension & probability of conviction.

peace, charlie
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
If someone started making new coins out of raw material I could see how the powers that be might take an interest...but if someone is modifying a coin that's already in circulation, that's seems like it'd be another story. And I think that post about all those penny smashing machines hits the nail on the head.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
When it comes to currency taking currency out of circulation is almost as dangerous to an economy as counterfiting it is.
Counterfiting is much more prevelant however so that is where the greater focus is. The amount of coins that get sacraficed for magic is really pretty low in the grand scheme of things thou.