The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Jumbo Coin Basics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JonathanPDX
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of JonathanPDX
Hi guys (and gals),

I am looking for guidance in the very basics of jumbo coin production. I am still working on all my "normal" techniques and routines, so I don't feel I'm ready to pick up a whole book or video on jumbo coin magic. However, it's such a strong effect I think I should put together one or two routines that climax with a jumbo coin. None of the material I currently have covers anything like this so I feel a little lost, but it looks like such a strong way to close a performance I am going to dive in and try to make it work anyway. Smile

Is there any "standard" way to do a jumbo production? Is there any common move or technique used to swap the coin in? What kind of routine or effect serves as the best setup leading into jumbo production? I don't want to just throw the effect onto the end of a routine that already works well, or end my performance with something clumsy. I also don't want to reinvent the wheel (yet), I am more interested in doing something clean and natural.

After you produce this large coin (I will use a 3" half dollar) what do you do? Let the curious audience look it over? Pocket it quickly? Change it back to a regular coin that you can hand out?

Any advice, suggestions, or general information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Jonathan
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Waiting for replies may take longer than doing a quicksearch. I searched jumbo coin production and found this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Try a search first...might get instant results Smile
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
ALSO, just saw this...two posts down from yours...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&16
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 05:17, JonathanPDX wrote:
Hi guys (and gals),

After you produce this large coin (I will use a 3" half dollar) what do you do? Let the curious audience look it over? Pocket it quickly? Change it back to a regular coin that you can hand out?

Any advice, suggestions, or general information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Jonathan

magicmind gave some good links so I'll just add this.

Steve Dusheck does his "Surprise" matrix on his 1982 Lecture DVD and produces the jumbo in a different way. http://www.stevedusheck.com/dvd.htm

David Roth does a jumbo production standing in his Expert Coin Magic work.

I do a quickie routine, as an illusion, with a borrowed penny.
The penny changes to a dollar sized penny then quickly back to a normal penny which is handed back to the owner.
In context with how I present this, the big coin was just an illusion. It's now gone.

I occasionally do J.C. Wagner's "Poor Man's Matrix" that ends with dollar sized penny and a 3" jumbo penny.
This is done seated so the steal of the jumbo is different that if done standing.
In this situation I would have no problem letting them see the coins if asked.

In my opinion what you do with the jumbo coin at the end is dependent on the context of the routine.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Thank JAZ....
ALso might want to mention something to work on after your basics are perfected....try some Gary Kurtz stuff Smile
JonathanPDX
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of JonathanPDX
Thanks guys,

I didn't mean to be rude, I did search and I have read through every thread I could find on jumbo coins. I appreciate the suggestions and I will look into all the names mentioned and pick some of that material up when I am ready for it.

I'm just pondering how to put together a single routine I can close with that ends with the jumbo production, and how to make it all work. I can see ways to swap it in from the pocket but I'm still searching for ways to make it a convincing bit of magic instead of "That guy just took a big coin out of his pocket" Smile

Thanks!
-Jonathan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Depending on context, there are two standard references for the most basic approaches.

The first, adopted from Earl "Presto" Johnson can be found at the end Roth's One Coin Routine in his Expert Coin Magic.

Another, more suited to routines with props can be found in CoinMagic as a bonus/kicker ending to David Roth's Portable Hole routine.

The extended Tenkai Palm work that folks including Fred Kaps were exploring are well described in Gary Kurtz's Unexplainable Acts and his two video set.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-08-22 03:08, JonathanPDX wrote:
Thanks guys,

I'm just pondering how to put together a single routine I can close with that ends with the jumbo production, and how to make it all work. I can see ways to swap it in from the pocket but I'm still searching for ways to make it a convincing bit of magic instead of "That guy just took a big coin out of his pocket" Smile

Thanks!
-Jonathan

The routines I mentioned do end with a surprise production of a jumbo coin.
The jumbo is suddenly there.